Thread: NB2 HELP! Stalling and hesitation issue

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2001 Miata NB SE
    Thanks Given

Wink NB2 HELP! Stalling and hesitation issue

Good day members;

I have a 2001NB with automatic tranny and it's got 173000 miles on it. It is serviced by local Mazda dealer in Concord Ca. My question is when i drive it from my house to work is about 35 miles one way, when it gets hot and almost to my office. It acts up and the motor hesitates and stalls. When i restart it it fires up and goes again. When it cools down it is normal again. Would appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! I created and moved your post to it's own thread so it would get more visibility.

Let's start with the basics...
    When the car car starts to hesitate, it is hot, as in up to operating temperature or overheating?
    Does the engine light turn on at all? If so, have you had the codes retrieved?

When it starts to hesitate, is it idling, running at speed, or some other instance?

When you restart it, is it given any time to cool off, or do you restart it immediately after it stalls?

Have you ever had the catalytic converter replaced? There are a few possibilities causing the issues, but until I know a few more details, I am curious if your catalytic converter is plugged up and restricting the engine.

Drives
    2001 Miata NB SE
    Thanks Given
    It starts up with no problems and runs perfect. Only after when it gets hot and i'have driven it more than 30+ miles to work then it will hesitate and loose power then die out. Once restarted it will go again. When you lift off the the throttle
    and come to a full stop it shakes then dies out. When i get to the office lot, i can hear a loud whining noise at the back of my seat (i think its fuel pump i'm hearing). Once it cools down and cold it runs normal again. No the check engine light does not come on.

Drives
    2001 Miata NB SE
    Thanks Given
    Is there any correct indications when one of the coils are going bad? Also when it gets hot the fuel pump is whining in a variable pitch behind my seat, is this a sign it's starting to bad? Really would appreciate all the info you members can share. Thank you.
    Last edited by BAMBINO M; 03-08-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Idling - Listen to it purr... PioneerMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    SE-BRG 2001
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMBINO M View Post
    It starts up with no problems and runs perfect. Only after when it gets hot and i'have driven it more than 30+ miles to work then it will hesitate and loose power then die out.
    One step at a time, for clarity. Is it HOT (as in overheating), or is it just 'warmed up' (temperature gauge roughly in the middle)? This is an important point!
    Ron E. - Livin' in Miata Heaven
    '01 SE BRG 'Emma'

Drives
    2001 Miata NB SE
    Thanks Given
    It does not over heat. Operating temp after 30+ miles that's when it happens to hesitate and quit. Once you restart it is okay and when you slow down or come to a full stop it will die. i just passed smog last week and had it registered at DMV. the cat is fine. My temp guage is at half way always. There is no check engine light that comes on.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I would suspect the coils, but if they are weak, the CEL would normally trigger. Using a mulimeter, there should be a test written up online to see if the voltage and resistance is correct. If the coils are weak, they may be overheating about the time you are experiencing the issues. It is an unusual issue.

Is the car strictly dealer-maintained?

At that mileage, it should have had a few maintenance items done. To address the fuel pump concern, yes, it is possible. I wonder if it is getting weak, overheating and tripping the relay.

Drives
    2001 Miata NB SE
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys: i already have the car at the dealership.
    That i think is the culprit. They are going to call me for their findings.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Sorry we can't be more help. Please let us know what happens!

Drives
    2001 Miata NB SE
    Thanks Given
    The dealer got it fixed. The fuel pump was replaced as the noise was a indication it was going out. The fuel pump relay was also replaced as when it gets hot it begins to act up. The coils were also replaced as one of them when hot is failing. So my car is good to go again. Thanks all you guy for helping me sort out the bugs.