Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Miata Coilovers Thread, what are you using?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Thanks for that write-up my brother in name.

I want the Olins off GWR but like you I squatted today and no golden egg popped out. I'm not going to throw money into the wind. I'll stick with my time-line and try to work in the coil-overs. Soon! The Tokico lowing set-up the other owner put on is not good on the roads under-construction around the Triad area here in NC.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Kind of a thread hijack, but could not find a more appropriate thread. So, these came up for sale CHEAP locally:

My guess is that they are PSS9 units (seller has no idea). Can anyone identify them? Also do you know what kind of damping curves do they have? I am looking in swapping springs on them as I found that the stock ones are 340ish lb/in all around, not sure if they can take it though. Also, are they serviceable like the OEM Miata units? I am thinking that this can end way cheaper than DIYing my HardS dampers, even with revalving cost factored in.

P.S. Moderators, if you think that the thread is not appropriate, please feel free to move/delete my post.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-13-2016)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    yes looks like PSS9 to me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-14-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I haven't read too much about the PSS9s on Miatas, more on other cars like BMWs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-14-2016)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, there's not much info out there. Managed to find some dyno plots, but eitherway they were gonna get rebuilt/valved/dynoed; IMO for 200EUR it did worth it for the springs alone. Funny thing is that the seller was most probably overwhelmed with the response his sale ad had (6 people in 30 mins of posting), so he deleted it. Expecting to list it again at a much higher price, we shall see.

EDIT: They are sold; the new owner beat me for just a few minutes.
    Last edited by HarryB; 04-14-2016 at 05:46 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-14-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    ...My guess is that they are PSS9 units (seller has no idea). Can anyone identify them? Also do you know what kind of damping curves do they have? I am looking in swapping springs on them as I found that the stock ones are 340ish lb/in all around, not sure if they can take it though. Also, are they serviceable like the OEM Miata units? I am thinking that this can end way cheaper than DIYing my HardS dampers, even with revalving cost factored in.

P.S. Moderators, if you think that the thread is not appropriate, please feel free to move/delete my post.
    Those are PSS9. They can be identified by the use of a main linear spring and the added tender springs. They look like they are missing the adjustment knobs, but I'd suppose he took them off to remove the top mounts. Those also look like they are blown. See the oil on the shock bodies. Don't bother with them if they are worn out, which means they were heavily abused on a Bilstein.

Here is the PSS9 setup
    48-086097_1.jpg

Bilstein also make a PSS version. You can identify it by the red single piece springs and no adjustment knob.

Here's the PSS setup
    47-083004_1.jpg

Aside from spring rates and adjustments, the PSS9 kit is made to be run lower than the PSS kit. And it can be run MUCH lower in the rear. The PSS kits are valved fairly softly, as they are designed to be only mildly more sporting than stock. The valving doesn't support much more spring than they come with. They are useful if you have to have a TUV approved suspension, but for use in the US, I think you'd be better off doing a DIY OEM Bilstein setup. The PSS9 on the other hand does come with stiffer springs and if you are willing to give up some adjustment (because you'll have them adjusted stiffer all the time) you can run even stiffer springs. They come with hardware that makes it easy to swap springs. They still aren't a competition shock, as they are built for the Europeans idea of a very sporting street car. The adjustment isn't linear, so the first couple clicks don't make much of a change and the last couple clicks make huge changes. Bilstein changed that in the PSS10 adjuster which is really very linear, but it's rarely worth retrofitting it.

As for rebuilds, usually not worth it. These kits are often cheap enough that a full rebuild will be almost as much as a set of shocks. They can be rebuilt, but take a special nitrogen fill rig that most shock shops don't have.
    Jason McDaniel

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modernbeat For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-17-2016),kung fu jesus (04-17-2016),Rogue (04-17-2016)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    That was a cool piece of info, thanks! Unfortunately (or maybe not) those were sold almost instantly. 200 was CHEAP! I could have all 4 rebuilt with an extra 250, and front rates were spot on for me (343lbs, wanted to run 350), but rears seemed too firm. For reasons, Bilstein opted for a "square" setup for the PSS9, having the rears at 343lbs as well, which I wanted to replace with 250s. Oh, well...

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Potentially stupid question again; found a Bilstein PSS for sale locally, with the spring rates I wanted for my DIY OEM Bilstein setup, and revalved by the same guy that was going to revalve my OEM Bilsteins; any reasons I should opt out? They sell for 350, while re-valving the OEM was going to be 250, plus perches and springs.

One reason I am concerned, they came off an NA, anyone knows if they are a direct fit to NB top mounts without extended nuts?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Started building shocks out of the new Bilstein AS2 instead of the old style ASN. And started making spherical top mounts for them too.

Jason McDaniel

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modernbeat For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-18-2016),freedomgli (04-26-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-26-2017),HarryB (05-19-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-18-2016)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Any Maruha coilover users here besides Randy? Would love to get some feedback on these as I am getting tempted lately...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Street driven car. I use the application loosely as the roads around here are dire. 1990 NA6.

Flyin Miata FOX Suspension setup.
    - 550/375 Springs as standard - Keith threw in a set of 300's for me to play with. Currently running at 375/300.
    - FOX Shocks - Fully adjustable.

The amount of OEM parts used is staggering, this is a major selling point for me as if I need parts, I get them through Mazda. No having to change to another Coilover setup because things are in Japan or out of production. Plenty of suspension travel for the foul illegal roads where I live and have to drive on. I'll get some footage one day.

Currently sinning and disgracing the forum by running a ride height of 13.25"/13.5" Front/Rear. Running anything lower than 12.5" and I wouldn't get out the Avenue.

You get what you pay for. $2k total with helper springs.
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

Dandy (04-26-2017),freedomgli (04-26-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-26-2017),HarryB (04-26-2017),The Driver (04-26-2017),tsingson (04-26-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Sounds almost ideal for me!!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Sounds almost ideal for me!!
    Not trying to sell them to anyone, but they're far better at dampening out the bumps than my old MeisterR setup. But at over double the cost they damn well better (that's before tax and shipping too).

You can tell they weren't built for those on a budget; for me, that's perfect. I don't live on Cobblestone streets, at times I wish I did for a good excuse for the poor road conditions.

Any chassis stiffening mods only help to support them to do their job better too. I honestly intend on getting the chassis stitch welded one day.

On a side note; without changing the topic, I'd LOVE a 6 Point rollbar from Blackbird Fabworx, Moti won't ship though
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    They are a hell of a more expensive setup than Meisters; at that price range, I would love a direct comparison to Xidas or Ohlins.

Slightly offtopic but I pulled the trigger in a (used) set of Maruha coilovers; it was an "offer I could not refuse"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

DarylSibcy (04-26-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    Not trying to sell them to anyone, but they're far better at dampening out the bumps than my old MeisterR setup. But at over double the cost they damn well better (that's before tax and shipping too).

You can tell they weren't built for those on a budget; for me, that's perfect. I don't live on Cobblestone streets, at times I wish I did for a good excuse for the poor road conditions.

Any chassis stiffening mods only help to support them to do their job better too. I honestly intend on getting the chassis stitch welded one day.

On a side note; without changing the topic, I'd LOVE a 6 Point rollbar from Blackbird Fabworx, Moti won't ship though
    Would you mind expounding on your experience with the MeisterR's? Including the car (year), other chassis modifications, alignment numbers and wheel/tires used.

Edit: I was contemplating giving them a try since the UK reviews are so positive.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 04-26-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast