Thread: Suspension for the Portly Driver

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Montego Blue 1994 M
    Thanks Given

Suspension for the Portly Driver

OK, not exactly portly but kind of heavy. I weigh about 230 lbs at six feet tall. My 1996 has about 177,000 miles on the ticker and it looks like it is on the original shocks and springs. I am keeping a mostly stock setup with the rest of the car but I really want to do something with the suspension and handling. When I drive the car moderately hard into corners or if I hit an imperfection in the road, I can sometimes hear the tire scrub behind the driver. I am looking for advice to make this go away and possibly give it better performance in the corners. I am running the stock 14 inch wheels and tires. I'm open to suggestions that do not include going on a diet. This is me AFTER a diet.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Can you find a 230lb girlfriend to ride with you? That's what I'd do.

No todo que es oro brilla.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Can you find a 230lb girlfriend to ride with you? That's what I'd do.
    GROSS!

OP, stock shocks are good for about 50K miles, which means those shocks have been dead for well over 100K miles. You'll need fresh bumpstops and even new shock tops. Try Sensen Shocks, for something low budget.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I was actually about to say all that except for the "gross" part.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Yeah I would say new springs or at lease shocks are in order.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    What kind of budget are you on? I was about a hundred pounds larger than you when I got my Miata. Never had issue with scrubbing, really. I did have issue with it after getting the coilover suspension and having it around 11.5" height.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Montego Blue 1994 M
    Thanks Given

Well, This Explains That...

I had the Miata up on the rack yesterday. I pulled the rear tires and wheels and started looking around trying to spot where the rubbing was taking place. This vehicle came to me with a creased left rear. It is slightly crumpled but the radius of the opening looks pretty straight. What I could not see was that a portion of the rolled steel was uncurled and pointing straight down, right at the tire. The edge was really shiny. I took a light sledge and banged it back into a reasonable shape. I took the car out and slammed through some corners and voila! no scrubbing noise.

This doesn't change the need to replace the struts and springs but at least it stops the infernal scrub. I don't see any damage to the tire but it was still a bit alarming.

Oh, when my wife read the suggestion I get a 230lb girlfriend to ride along she had other ideas. She reminded me that she was the only other person in the house with the combination for the gun safe.

Reverie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reverie For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-18-2015),tsingson (03-18-2015)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    She reminded me that she was the only other person in the house with the combination for the gun safe.
    LOL

I'm about 220 lbs and my carpool buddy is around 260. We make quite a pair when it's my turn to drive. But, there is no rubbing - inside or outside the car

Idling - Listen to it purr... MemphisMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red/White/Blue 1990 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    GROSS!

OP, stock shocks are good for about 50K miles, which means those shocks have been dead for well over 100K miles. You'll need fresh bumpstops and even new shock tops. Try Sensen Shocks, for something low budget.
    I am actually in the market for replacement stock-equivalent shocks for my early 1990 NA - does anyone have any reports on the Sensen shocks? I do not plan to do any competition driving - just some touring.
    I appreciate any advice.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisMiata View Post
    I am actually in the market for replacement stock-equivalent shocks for my early 1990 NA - does anyone have any reports on the Sensen shocks? I do not plan to do any competition driving - just some touring.
    I appreciate any advice.
    Based on what I've heard from people who have them, they behave just like factory Showas. Just cheaper.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Idling - Listen to it purr... Inspecta's Avatar
    Drives
    Supercharged 93LE #0086
    Thanks Given
    I helped a buddy put sensens on a 96 and he is happy with them. Just make sure they are good before you install them because one was blown when he received it.
    Using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspecta For This Useful Post:

The Driver (03-18-2015)