Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS Active headlights & Compatible bulbs for Miata

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given

RS Active headlights & Compatible bulbs for Miata

So I was wondering what bulbs would be compatible for the RS Active Type 2 headlights. I want to buy a set just incase they happen to burn out, thanks!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    So I was wondering what bulbs would be compatible for the RS Active Type 2 headlights. I want to buy a set just incase they happen to burn out, thanks!
    Ah yes, good idea!! I have a set as well, this info would be nice to have, anyone have these lights and changed them out yet?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Are you looking to upgrade the light output? Or just have spares?
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    I have a few spares, I'll try to remember to look when I get home.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    H3. If you come down to SoCal again I'll give you a pair for free.

20150318_163919.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fwdtamiya For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (03-18-2015)

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post

20150318_163919.jpg
    H3 is the type of bulbs to get eh? Ahhh shiet, there is a chance I may come down again for JCCS. Thanks for the tip!

Are you considering entering JCCS again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by speedypenguin View Post
    Are you looking to upgrade the light output? Or just have spares?
    I was considering something that might be an upgrade... but might just stick with the same bulbs. But wouldn't mind a little brighter output.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Probably going to JCCS, depends on if I can convince others to go.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Probably going to JCCS, depends on if I can convince others to go.
    when is JCCS? lets get a thread on that with the dates, times, and some photos too!

PS You cali guys are spoiled with cool cars

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given

20150318_163919.jpg
    So I am wondering if I need to stick with a specific voltage / wattage? I see on the package that you posted is 12V 85W, is it safe to go higher?

I would like to get the BRIGHTEST H3 bulb I can run on my RS actives without melting the lens or cause any electric issues. I am also wondering what brand bulb I should stick with.

I have considered going HIDs, but I know that involves running ballasts. So if I can find a bright enough bulb I won't go HID.

Thanks guys!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I got tired of the poor output of my RSActive headlights. It was bad enough I considered selling them. Instead I replaced the housings with PIAA 960 housings, which are the real version of the knockoff light that RSA used in their kit. Though the PIAA are larger, they fit just fine.

I stuck with the stock 12V 55watt H3 bulbs, but switched to better quality PIAA bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
    One of the gems on my car, the RS Active headlights with their original piss-poor housings.

I’ve voiced my displeasure about the performance of the RS Active headlights. I knew going in that they performed poorly and were valued for their cosmetic features. But, I wanted them anyway. They are the only really good looking low profile kit available due to the shroud around the lens and housing. But the performance issue always bothered me, so I had an idea of how to improve them. I was aware that the PIAA 960 housing was constructed very similarly to the cheap housing in the RS Active kit, both of them are combination fog and driving lights. They use the fog light as a low beam and the driving light as a high beam. This was verified by comparing the dimensions that PIAA publish. In fact, when placed side to side it’s pretty obvious that the housing that RS Active used was a knockoff of the PIAA 960.

The internals of the PIAA with better wiring, silicone boots and heavy gauge stampings.

The internals of the RS Active with cheap wiring, fiberglass boots and light gauge stampings.

So, I tracked down a set of the PIAA 960 lights. They have been discontinued for years, but an ebay seller was closing out a truck accessory shop and had a few pair for sale, so I bought a few sets and set about modifying a set to work with the Miata wiring. Originally the RS Active headlights come with a wiring harness that adds another layer of relays in the system. The set of RS Active headlights I bought did not include the extra wiring, so they were spliced into male headlight plugs and plugged directly into the Miata headlight plugs. I spliced the same male headlight plugs into the PIAA wiring and slightly adjusted the RS Active bracket to receive the slightly deeper PIAA housing. The fiberglass shroud is slightly too tight to have the PIAA lens protrude through it as far as the original housings. But by moving the housing as far back in the bracket as possible, the shroud clears it without modification and when centered, it slightly sticks through the shroud like it was built for it. Luckily, there is a lot of adjustment in the parts, so it was easy to center the housing in the shroud.

The excellent quality PIAA housings.

The moment of truth, with the same wattage PIAA H3 bulbs that I had in the RS Active housings, the quality of the PIAA shown through. So much more light and in a better pattern. With the RS Active housings if I had the low beams aimed correctly, the high beams pointed in a cross-eyed pattern. With the PIAA housings, I was able to focus the high beams forward the slightly right and the low beams ended up perfectly usable without blinding oncoming traffic.

Jason McDaniel

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modernbeat For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (04-30-2015),fwdtamiya (12-11-2015),Grip Driver (04-30-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    Any thoughts on using a LED bulb in either the PIAA or RS housing? I have used OEM replacement LED bulbs and those had fans to get rid of the heat. Love the output on them and wish I could duplicate that.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the info Modern Beat! I was thinking about just changing the bulbs on my RSA's to try to improve light output. I guess I just want to know if its safe to use a higher wattage for better output.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    bumping this for updates

anyone switch to LED output, or brighter bulbs? Ill think I am gonna go down the PIAA road here shortly. I live in the woods and its dark as heck coming home at night.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    well I just ordered some PIAA 960 lights on the interWebz so ill keep you guys posted, I see the bulbs can be changed out for some even bright ones, which ones are you guys using?

I was considering upgrading these bulbs, but not sure if they would get too hot?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

vote4pedro (12-09-2015)

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Hey Randy,

I ended up buying Some H3 ECE R37 DOT Compliant PIAA Extreme White Plus 4000k Bulbs (H3 55W-> 110W)

I mean they are fine, but would mind a little bit brighter.

While we are on the subject, is it possible to run the high beams in junction with the normal running lights? When I turn on my high beams my low beams turn off.

Might also be good to note that I am not running the wiring harness the RS A's came with cause I just couldn't get them to work so I am just running them straight through to the oem harness with a little bit of modifications, are you using the wiring harness Randy?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Willywongka For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (12-09-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast