Thread: Airbag Connector Blues (and Oranges)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Montego Blue 1994 M
    Thanks Given

Airbag Connector Blues (and Oranges)

Over the weekend I pulled my dash on my '94 to swap in a new heater core. I followed some excellent directions I found on line. They did not detail one thing that I found challenging. I could not get the passenger airbag connector to separate to save my life. I searched the web and could not find any directions other that "Pull the Orange side first". Well, I couldn't figure out HOW to pull the orange side. I must be the only person on the planet encountering this issue because I can't even find a picture of that connector, though the drivers side connector looks similar. Heck, I can't even remember how I separated that connector, either. Does anyone have insight and possible a picture? I really hate a problem kicking my a**. I can be a perfectionist at times and this one is eating at me. I'm so grumpy I think I'll go thrash some curves...

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts

This one??????

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    You have to remove the orange connector first, and then the blue, in that order, and reverse the order if/when reconnecting

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Montego Blue 1994 M
    Thanks Given
    Yes, that is the connector. I read the Orange comes off first BUT it would not budge. It felt like I was pulling the wrong direction. I noticed the Orange had a lip and the blue had what appeared to be a locking tab but could not get them to let go of each other. It is as if they designed this to frustrate someone.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    Yes, that is the connector. I read the Orange comes off first BUT it would not budge. It felt like I was pulling the wrong direction. I noticed the Orange had a lip and the blue had what appeared to be a locking tab but could not get them to let go of each other. It is as if they designed this to frustrate someone.

The orange is held by the blue you need to pull back the lock that is part of the blue connector. If yours is somewhat brittle use a hair dryer to warm up the connector then pull the little arm back before you pull out the orange. G/L Here is the pic....

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Try using a small flat blade screwdriver instead of your fingernails.

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    black,2012
    Thanks Given

automobiles

Regular preventive maintenance is probably the single thing you can do as a car owner to keep your ride happy and save money on repairs in the future. However, not everyone agrees on what preventive maintenance is, what you should do, and when you should do it. Let's clear that up, and give you some tips that'll apply to any vehicle.
    ………………………………………………….

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE