Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooster now in Mid-Tenn

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Well off to Cars and Coffee at Cool Springs Mall, going to cruise down with a couple of folks, see ya there JonK67.

[IMG][/IMG]

Got back from there and heres a pix of Rooster and some friends at the local Cars n Coffee.
    Last edited by TNRooster3; 08-03-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: left out pix

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

WASABI (06-01-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well we are back, the Rooster took on another section of roadway known for its curves and twisties: The Devil’s Triangle. After getting reshoed, so to speak, with a set of new tires ( Falken Azenis 195/60-14s), I drove him around here on errands for a day or so to get used to the new feel of the tires. Then off for a fun day of twisty back roads with some friends and fellow Miata owners.
    If you have never heard of the Devil’s Triangle in eastern middle Tennessee it is made up of State Route SR-116 across the top 2 sides of the Triangle and SR-330 to Oliver Springs and SR-62 from Oliver Springs toward the west to connect with SR-116 to make the bottom side of the Triangle. The Dragon is a challenge unto itself and I ’ll be back on it in July and love every part of it. These roads that make up the Devil’s Triangle are in the Cumberland Plateau but this SR TN116 is a different animal than the Dragon, it has the section of curves similar to the Dragon but in some ways more challenging, it’s hard to understand until you’ve been on both of them, but I will get to that later. Early Saturday morning about 6:30AM my friend and fellow club member David G. pulled into my drive so I started up the Rooster and David followed me in his red NC down a curvy country road to meet up with our local Miata group, Music City Miata Club. We met them at a restaurant in Mount Juliet, TN. on a frosty morning at the end of March, at daybreak it was 27 degrees but by 7- 7 :30am it was a balmy 31 so no top down yet.

MUSIC CITY MIATA CLUB MEETING IN MT. JULIET BEFORE A FUN DAY OF TWISTY CURVY ROADS
    [IMG][/IMG]

After a drivers meeting we then hopped on I-40 and headed east to an exit at Monterey TN to collect our leader and a couple of other cars and took SR-62 to Clark Range TN., where we were supposed to meet up with a Porsche Club but they were a no-show ( said it was too cold HA HA) so we headed out & back onto SR-62 or some people say TN62, toward the east, this TN62 in places is a nice twisty road in itself, and a little past Wartburg we turned on SR-116 and made a pit stop at a market in Petros, TN.

BRUSHY MOUNTAIN MARKET TO TAKE A BREAK JUST BEFORE GOING ON THE DEVIL’S TRIANGLE
    [IMG][/IMG]

While taking a break I showed Rooster’s new tires to a fellow member David W. and some of the guys, he commented on the good looking tread pattern and that they should grip the twisty roads we were about to be on, but but little did we know that later on he‘ll be behind me and fussing about those Falkens - HA HA.

After the break we started up toward the Brushy Mtn Prison and just past the prison entrance is where the fun starts.

ENTRANCE TO BRUSHY MTN. STATE PENITENTIARY JUST DOWN THE HILL FROM THE 1st CURVE.
    [IMG][/IMG]

For the next 3.5 miles the twists and turns are similar to the Dragon but this is where things get tricky. The road climbs up the mountain from 1400 feet to 2150 in the first two miles and then there is a short section of semi-straight road at Armes Gap then it descends to 1600 feet in the next 1.5 miles and runs at times by the New River. But this 3.5 miles is something to watch out for, the road at times has no shoulder at all and either completely drops off or has a 3-4 foot deep ditch, some curves/ or parts do have guardrails or Concrete walls, some have no guardrails at all and some have what look like the Devil’s teeth, really nasty, gnarly steel posts, some stand straight and some bent or are at an angle, these perhaps were where guardrails may have been but have long gone. If a biker goes down here he could get impaled on one of these “Teeth“.

This is not one of my pix, I found it online and just wanted to show what these “Teeth” look like.
    [IMG][/IMG]

On one particular twisty, the curve turned left and the pavement pitched the opposite direction than what it should have but Rooster took it fine. We talk to each other on 2-way radios on these trips and David W. was following me and he said Rooster was really kicking and scratching just like a real Rooster in a cock fight cause he was throwing dirt and rocks all over him with those new tires. I started laughing so hard and almost lost it and let the guy I was following get some lead on me. We go along at a pretty good pace and then have to slow down, there are a couple of trucks/ suvs going slow so we are held up for a bit until one pulls over to let us by, then a half mile or more and the other one turns off.

We pick up the pace and go into some more really good twisties, Rooster handles them like he is setting on rails, I love this car!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Man but this is one twisty road, lots of ups and downs, rock wall bluffs and no shoulder in places.
    DAVID W. IS DRIVING THE MIATA BEHIND ME AND HIS WIFE BARBARA IS TAKING PIX AS WE GO THRU THE TWISTIES OF THE DEVIL’S TRANGLE.
    [IMG][/IMG]

After the 3.5 mile section of twisties the road calms down to slow sweeping curves and a nice winding road for quite a ways. Another difference in this road and the 129/Dragon is that several roads and driveways connect with it and there is some gravel to watch for along with homes and other buildings right beside the road. After a few more curves and sweeps you then cross a bridge and we stop, you need to turn right to stay on TN-116, (if you go left it is another road), we go along into some level curves and then you are going uphill again and into some nice twisty curves.

MORE PIX THANKS TO BARBARA’S CAMARA AND DAVID’S DRIVING.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Then you start downhill and there are some sharp turns and switchbacks with one that has a road coming into it with a lot of gravel and just a little ways there is a set of 3 steep and sharp switchbacks and these are about 2 to 2.5 miles from the intersection with TN330. This last part on TN330 is just another country road with just a few slow curves, so the TN116 part of the Devil’s Triangle is where all the fun is but you need to be careful, I can see where a bike rider can have trouble. This is not a road for someone with little experience at driving or riders of big bikes that don‘t know how to handle steep switchbacks or gravel.

HEADING WEST ON TN-330 or TN-62 NOT SURE WHERE THIS WAS TAKEN.
    [IMG][/IMG]

We continued on TN330 to Oliver Springs picked up TN-62, and headed west to Clark Range and the Rockabilly Café for Cheeseburgers and fries, and really good deserts,

Rooster in parking lot of The Cumberland Mountain General Store with Rockabilly Café in back, a cool 1950s style Soda Shop.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    but I got a Burger and onion rings and if you are brave enough to do battle with a Monster desert like this banana split that David fought with,

JUST LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS THING!
    [IMG][/IMG]

but he says that his wife Barbara helped eat most of it- HA HA. Told him I thought he got it for the WHOLE table. The only way this day could have been better was 10 more degrees warmer so I could have taken the top down. Anyway I had an absolute blast on this day of twisty, curvy country roads, just what a Miata like Rooster was made for, you should be proud Steve and Randy and Thanks again for what you guys did with this car, it is an honor to drive it.
    Last edited by TNRooster3; 08-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well I finally got around to putting some retro parts on the Rooster. Our local Miata club wanted to have a Garage Tech day and our fearless President volunteered his garage, so I volunteered the Rooster. [IMG][/IMG]

So I had ordered a set of Retro Hazard switches from RevLimiter along with a Stirling HVAC panel to match the gauge set and retro window switch set that Steve had installed in the Rooster and they came in a week or 2 before we had set up the Tech Day with the club. Plus I had won an auction in Japan after a year of looking and failed bids, I finally got one, a Runabout Fuel Lid. It is not the Type 1 but I think it's still cool.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    First off comes the shift knob.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Then we took out the window switch set and the Nakamae console,
    [IMG][/IMG]

this was so we could get to the screws at the bottom of the tombstone, then 2 more screws inside the a/c vents and the tombstone is out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now on to the Hazard switch install. Here is a pix of the Hazard switches.

[IMG][/IMG]
    John is holding them upside down in the pix.

From Adam’s instructions and this helps you keep from putting them in backwards: “The backing plate is longer on the bottom to allow it to rest on the tombstone plastic. The switches are oriented so that down is off. The headlight motor switch is on the bottom and has three wires going to it. The hazard switch is on the top with two wires. ’’
    [IMG][/IMG]

Installed in the tombstone:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Since we are also installing a new HVAC panel we need to hold up on wiring the Hazard switches and go ahead and pull the HVAC cover plate. This also was a bit tricky and thanks to Adams instructions from his store site it was a smooth install. Did not get any pix of the panel being glued to the cover plate, don't know what happened to them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now John puts the Nakamae console back in.

[IMG][/IMG]
    And the retro window switches….
    [IMG][/IMG]

And the finished install of the new retro goodies.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

We also put the new Runabout Type 2 Fuel lid on Rooster and it was almost funny, it took 4-5 guys taking turns trying to get a small enough hand in to tighten down the bolts, wish I had pix of that to, but all I got was the finished product.
    [IMG][/IMG] [/IMG]

Rooster was not the only car we worked on that day, 2 different guys ( a NB and a NC) had a bit of trouble with their clutches and one of the fellows knew how to adjust the clutch pedal. Plus someone else was having some sort of rattle under his car ( a NA) and it turned out to be in his muffler. We had a good day and fun learning some new stuff about our Miatas, plus a Big thanks again to Adam and Revlimiter for the really good instructions with detailed pix.
    Last edited by TNRooster3; 02-21-2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: photo missing

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (05-22-2015),Grip Driver (05-21-2015),Ihatecars (06-11-2015),JamieH (05-21-2015),Paul B (05-21-2015),Phatmiata (05-22-2015),revlimiter (05-21-2015),speedypenguin (05-21-2015),WASABI (06-01-2015)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Great pix!!! And I'm glad the install went well!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

TNRooster3 (05-21-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Adam- We used the paper instructions that you sent plus we had a laptop in the garage to look up stuff on your store site in case there was a question- it all worked out, I just messed up on taking some pix that didn't turn out for some reason.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Looks great!! Nice Work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

TNRooster3 (05-22-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Randy, just trying to continue what you and Steve started and the vision that Steve had for this car.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Also a Big Thanks goes to Steve for the link he gave me to get some replacement valve stems for the SSR/ Watanabes. They arrived yesterday via DHL from Japan. If Rooster's right rear wheel valve starts leaking again I can now replace it.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Me and my friend David (and co-member) will be setting up a table for Music City Miata Club and bringing our Miatas to the Cars n' Coffee at Cool Springs Theater in Franklin, TN. on Saturday morning June 6th, 8am-11am. We hope to get some other members to bring their cars and show what they have done to them. I think we will set up in the parking lot in front of the hedge across the street from the Cool Springs McDonalds. If anyone is interested and close to Nashville, roll on over and see us along with all the other cool cars.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-08-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    After Cars n' Coffee closed down Saturday morning I went by the local Mazda dealer, Franklin, TN, and checked on any 2016 MX5 Miata brochures and they still did not have any yet. I also asked when the new 2016 would actually arrive, they said the 1st 1000 would be a Special Edition & were pretty well spoken for but the Sport, Club and Grand Touring models were supposed to be on the lot last of August or 1st of Sept. and the only colors are Arctic White, Jet Black Mica, Soul Red Metallic and Ceramic Metallic ( Light Grey). Sept. can't get here soon enough.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (06-08-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Are you definitely buying one or just test driving/considering it?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    There was a rumor around here that we would only see the 1000 Special Premiere editions and nothing else would hit the ground until next year, so I went to the dealer and asked. Just want to see one in person and see what everybody is talking about, I have a NA and a NB but not keen about the NC and even if I like the ND, I would not buy one new, I'd wait at least a couple of years and get a used one and hopefully save some money.
    Last edited by TNRooster3; 06-10-2015 at 11:52 PM.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    ND democrats should be hitting dealers soon!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The local Mazda dealer here says the ND will arrive last of August or 1st of Sept.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I went to the club meeting the other day and it was getting dark when the meeting broke up so I ran the lights on the way home, now Rooster has one pop-up light (passenger side) setting cockeyed and partly closed and it will not open. It's like one side of the lid did not close all the way. Did not have time to work on this until today, been dealing with downed trees, power company, tree removal folks, 3 neighbors etc. Anyway I popped the hood and it turns out that a bolt had come loose on the outer side of the light unit. This may be a simple fix but someone on here may not know about it so I am going to do a post here.

Bolt is missing from the bracket:

[IMG][/IMG]

Bolt and nut was still laying down below the light, lucky I guess:

[IMG][/IMG]

Hand was too big to reach them, this gave me a chance to use a present that I got this past Christmas, a magnetic on a stick, works good to:

[IMG][/IMG]

Bolt back in place, had to get a washer, it was missing. So this is what it is supposed to look like, anyway it matched the other side:

[IMG][/IMG]

Tested both the Tombstone switch and the main lighting switch and both work the lights, all fixed.
    Last edited by TNRooster3; 08-03-2017 at 12:38 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TNRooster3 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (08-05-2015)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast