Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Miata Best Small Convertible Award

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I remember that. I think I recall some going for around $20k because of the demand.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I'll never pay a greed charge even if I have to wait for the used market. With today's technology and online infrastructure, I find it hard to believe that the fossilized car-dealer model somehow continues to exist.

No todo que es oro brilla.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I was trying to find out what $17k in 1989 would be how much today...no findy.

Thanks Given

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-12-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Thanks! Looks like $17k in '89 would be over $32.4k in 2015, so i guess mazda uses that calculator. -

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-12-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Pretty much, I think the original NA was like $13K in 1989 but the dealerships had a 4K markup on them because there was such a huge demand back then.

will history repeat itself once again?
    When I first tried to buy a Miata in 1990, it WAS crazy, some dealers had waiting lists even after they jacked up the price, I waited until the next model year before the prices got back down close to normal. And I paid around 15K, but mine was a demonstrator and did have a hardtop, power windows and a/c, I think it listed for around $20k.

Thanks Given
    I don't want to really confess this TNRooster but I remember the origianl Miata release and I hated them on first sight! At the same time, a red Pontiac Fiero turned the corner at my feet and I really thought it was a Ferrari. During those times, Magnum P.I. was a hit because of the red Ferrari and most of us were to high to remember anything after that. Remember though, that mine was the generation that witnessed the invention of Star Wars and MTv.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

John J (06-13-2015),Phatmiata (06-12-2015),TNRooster3 (06-13-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone TNRooster3's Avatar
    Drives
    chaste White, 1996 R2-Limited Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I don't want to really confess this TNRooster but I remember the origianl Miata release and I hated them on first sight! At the same time, a red Pontiac Fiero turned the corner at my feet and I really thought it was a Ferrari. During those times, Magnum P.I. was a hit because of the red Ferrari and most of us were to high to remember anything after that. Remember though, that mine was the generation that witnessed the invention of Star Wars and MTv.
    That's cool, I had always wanted a convertible and drooled over the 50's- 60's vettes, ( one of my roommates in college drove a '63). My brother-in-law had a MG midget and was constantly working on it so I didn't want a MG and could not afford my dream vette or the Insurance on a vette, so along comes the Miata. As soon as I drove it I bought one and we headed for the Blue Ridge Mountains and I have been driving a Miata ever since. If I do buy a ND, I will keep my NA- Rooster and my NB-Junebug, so that will be 3 generations in my stable- just call me Jay Leno Jr.- HA HA.
    Last edited by TNRooster3; 06-13-2015 at 04:29 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    We had one at our shop today. No driving, but Emilio got to ride in it. This is what he had to say about it:

Got a chance to ride (passenger) in a Club Edition today. Driver was an expert on one of our key suspension testing roads near the shop. Succinctly, the car feels like an NA with a built NB2 engine and 6 speed. This is all the grab by the scruff of the neck driving dynamics of the NA with whatever NVH improvements can be had 25 years later. The car has serious grunt down low. Unlike the NC which sorta died on top and the NA8 and NB2 which had good midrange but weak top end, the ND motor pulls eagerly with a very flat torque curve, just slightly softening in the last few hundred RPM. I'm told that's the OEM fuel cut strategy to save the cat, as opposed to an abrupt fuel cut that heats the cat. Flywheel felt really light. I don't know the weight but it felt nearly like an aftermarket flywheel, it revved so fast.

Car rotates around your chest, just like the NA, not your knees, like the NC. The drop throttle behavior is delicious, tucking the nose in, shifting weight forward and increasing yaw rate in a superbly progressive manner. The road we ran on is low to mid speed, lots of tight turns, very undulating and full of patches, lumps and mid turn bumps. The Bilsteins handled everything with aplomb, only when flat hammered through a transition and full bump did you feel it settle on the bump stops and gently, controllably rebound quickly. This all with a 180b driver and passenger. The car, like the NA, is intuitive and predictable right up to and past its limits.

The guy driving was using his fingertips, small steering angles, just on occasional correction. All the fun work was done with the pedals, as god intended. On a tight back road, this thing will destroy just about anything under about $150k on OEM tires.

The go kart is back

I'm so eager to get ours and start hoon.. er, R&D projects with it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Satisaii For This Useful Post:

Paul B (06-15-2015),Phatmiata (06-13-2015),TNRooster3 (06-14-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Awesome info!!! Thanks for sharing that info!! Can't wait to drive one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12