Thread: Help with replacing head gasket on a 2000 Miata

Idling - Listen to it purr... Packrat456's Avatar
    Drives
    a 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given

Help with replacing head gasket on a 2000 Miata

Trying to find information on replacing a blown head gasket on a 2000 Mazda Miata. Can someone steer me in the right direction?
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 06-14-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added context to title

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts

Help with replacing head gasket on a 2000 Miata

I'd start with the factory service manual for detailed R&R instructions. The gasket itself isn't very expensive. But it's a pretty big job to disconnect everything to pull the head and have it checked over and probably machined for flatness. You'll have to ask yourself what else is worthwhile doing while you've got your motor torn half apart. Are you due for a timing belt / water pump service? Valve job? Complete overhaul? What is the root cause of the blown head gasket? Are you having cooling system issues that also need to be addressed?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-14-2015),Packrat456 (06-14-2015),tsingson (06-15-2015)

Drives
    a 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Is it possible to find a free factory service manual somewhere?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    With Google, anything is possible: http://www.mellens.net/mazda/index.html

What a time to be alive!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-15-2015),Packrat456 (06-15-2015)

Drives
    a 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    With Google, anything is possible: http://www.mellens.net/mazda/index.html

What a time to be alive!
    Thanks. I had found that site last fall, and I looked for an hour and a half yesterday and couldn't find it for nothing. I had even bookmarked it back then and it wasn't there..
    And it's definitely a great time to be alive!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Freedom is on point there. The main concern is whether or not the head was warped, the problem that caused it is fixed, and how much extra you want to do.

Besides the front motor refresh (timing belt and seals), I think an important upgrade is using head studs, like ARP studs, instead of the OEM head bolts. IIRC, the OE head bolts are stretch to yield and one-time use only, but check that for certainty. If the head checks out fine, mabe have it shaved a touch or little more for a compression bump. If you want to refresh the whole upper engine, disassemble the intake manifold and have it tanked or professionally cleaned before reinstalling. I beilieve most of the IM gaskets are metal and *can* be reused if undamaged.

With the head off, you can also gently clean the piston crowns to eliminate any carbon deposits, too.

I hope it isn't anything too serious, good luck!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Packrat456 (06-15-2015),tsingson (06-15-2015)

Drives
    a 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Freedom is on point there. The main concern is whether or not the head was warped, the problem that caused it is fixed, and how much extra you want to do.

Besides the front motor refresh (timing belt and seals), I think an important upgrade is using head studs, like ARP studs, instead of the OEM head bolts. IIRC, the OE head bolts are stretch to yield and one-time use only, but check that for certainty. If the head checks out fine, mabe have it shaved a touch or little more for a compression bump. If you want to refresh the whole upper engine, disassemble the intake manifold and have it tanked or professionally cleaned before reinstalling. I beilieve most of the IM gaskets are metal and *can* be reused if undamaged.

With the head off, you can also gently clean the piston crowns to eliminate any carbon deposits, too.

Thank you. I have never torn down an overhead cam engine before, several V8 engines way back in high school but nothing since then. So any and all advice is definitely welcomed. I will definitely be checking out the head for warpage because I really don't want to be doing this again any time soon.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I haven't fully disassembled an NB1 head before, but have done a b6 head.

If you DO disassemble it, the most important, singular step to success is labeling and grouping the parts together. The shims, lifters, valves, springs and keepers must go back to their original spots. The cam caps especially, including their orientation.

It isn't hard. Just have to pay attention, rent a valve spring compressor, and just take your time. I reassembled my reworked head at the kitchen table while mildly watching a movie. Thousands of hard-driven miles later, she's still running great.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Packrat456 (06-16-2015)

Drives
    a 2000 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Is it possible to clean the antifreeze out of the oil pan without removing it?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Most people just drain the oil and refill with new oil and then cross their fingers and hope for the best. Anything less than a full teardown, clean, repair and rebuild will not give 100% certainty that everything is in tip top condition. But if you're okay to just roll the dice (and save a ton of $$$ vs. a full rebuild) then maybe try one of the engine flush options like BG Quick Clean for Engines or BG Engine Purge or some other similar product. You should probably do a complete cooling system flush as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (06-16-2015),Packrat456 (06-16-2015)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    I agree with you that Most people just drain the oil and refill with new oil and then cross their fingers and hope for the best.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Evolution Orange Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post

The NB cylinder head bolts ARE NOT torque to yield units. They are plain specified torque units and may be reused again. While ARP studs are certainly fine fastners, we do not make enough cylinder pressure to justify their use unless you are adding a super/turbo charger.