Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage Star Delrin Door Bushings

Drives
    Custom Miatas
    Thanks Given
    There's a write up somebody did that has both bushings. It was on anther forum.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I think the end result of the comparison was if you want a super tight fit (possibly a little more rigidity over GS door blocks but couldn't definitively say) and don't mind more test fitting and sanding each block to fit then the ken auto is the answer but if you want more of a pnp door block with some adjustability then the GarageStar blocks are the better choice.

I like to support 'local' businesses whenever i can and have delt with Kenjo several times and always happy so i chose to be loyal to GarageStar and was very happy with the results.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bruce (07-13-2015),Martin (07-13-2015),Phatmiata (07-14-2015)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Anyone know how these compare to the KenAuto version from Japan?
    there is another thread about it. Pretty interesting.

Spoiler: the Kenauto ones are an interference fit. You have to sand them to allow the door to close. The Garage Star ones are a direct fit and need no sanding (usually).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Bruce (07-13-2015),Phatmiata (07-14-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    from what I have read the GarageStar are better for Daily Driver Miatas and the KenAuto are more Race oriented? I guess I just need to go install my KenAuto versions and quit procrastinating.

and install the other parts just laying about

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

etikoner (07-14-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I just don't see the need for these in a caged car unless your doors are flopping around. I also don't see the need for the Ken Auto ones to be so tight that you can't open the door.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wannafbody For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-14-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Probably the best $65 I spent for the car that made a difference that you can actually appreciate instantaneously after you get it installed. Its like buying a new pair of sneakers and using them right away. Funny that Ken can actually guarantee this piece to satisfy or your money back. Now I understand why Adam (rev limiter) dedicated a thorough review on this and he is spot on "every Miata got to have this". It made my miata drive more solid.

No door problems so far. Follow the instructions and the supplied bolts are more than qualified to hold these small pieces in place. Heck drive down to Garagestar store and Ken may just install it for you lol.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I am sure these do tons of work especially on less stiff cars. I properly adjusted my OEM ones and they made a huge difference, albeit they allow some upwards movement owing to the fact that the bushing is smaller than the cup. Both KenAuto and GarageStar fix this, so I expect them to work really well with respect to NVH coming from doors shaking. However claiming that they will improve your stiffness is a step too far and I really doubt it; it is more of a placebo effect I believe. Of course I cannot tell till I try a set on my own...

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I am sure these do tons of work especially on less stiff cars. I properly adjusted my OEM ones and they made a huge difference, albeit they allow some upwards movement owing to the fact that the bushing is smaller than the cup. Both KenAuto and GarageStar fix this, so I expect them to work really well with respect to NVH coming from doors shaking. However claiming that they will improve your stiffness is a step too far and I really doubt it; it is more of a placebo effect I believe. Of course I cannot tell till I try a set on my own...
    There is no way you can adjust the OEM ones, they are not designed to be adjusted LOL. Stiffness from the delrin what makes this bushing works. Regarding "stiffness", well they make the doors function as unit by anchoring it to the rear tub at the bottom corner of the opening. Try and remove your doors and drive the car well the easier way is "of course try a set of your own". If your are close by you are welcome to try mine for as long as you want since I will park the car for a while due to some coilover install.

I am not trying to convince anyone. I am just saying for $65 I am impressed. It may very well placebo but not hearing the stupid squeak as I leave my driveway is good enough at least for now. BTW I do have the FM butterfly and HD roll bar so if I that does not make the miata stiff then there are plenty here that are on placebo.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Sure the OEM ones can be adjusted. Removing the bolts and moving the bushes upwards, before tightening them down again, helps reduce NVH a little bit. I am sure though, it's not as much as GarageStar ones, but it helps a little.

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    [QUOTE= I am sure though, it's not as much as GarageStar ones, but it helps a little.[/QUOTE]

Right if it helps a little imagine what a stiff delrin bushing can do (material engineering can probably clarify that?). When I installed my $500+ roll bar it took some hard cornering to really feel the difference while these little pieces of rubber @ $65 proved its worth in less than a mile. Oh well the OEM had seen brighter days so replacing them with these made more sense. The better performance is just a bonus as placebo as it may be. Even my rear view mirror (IL cobra style sliding mirror) had stop vibrating that I prefer more than anything else.
    Last edited by mx54life; 08-08-2015 at 04:24 PM.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    In the past two months I have added a hardtop. And replaced window guides and installed the bushings so its really hard for me to tell what part has made what improvement. But my car is so much more enjoyable to drive now. Thats all that matters.

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    ^^^return the old bushing and you shall see lol. Me I don't have to guess.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    There is no way you can adjust the OEM ones, they are not designed to be adjusted LOL. Stiffness from the delrin what makes this bushing works. Regarding "stiffness", well they make the doors function as unit by anchoring it to the rear tub at the bottom corner of the opening. Try and remove your doors and drive the car well the easier way is "of course try a set of your own". If your are close by you are welcome to try mine for as long as you want since I will park the car for a while due to some coilover install.

I am not trying to convince anyone. I am just saying for $65 I am impressed. It may very well placebo but not hearing the stupid squeak as I leave my driveway is good enough at least for now. BTW I do have the FM butterfly and HD roll bar so if I that does not make the miata stiff then there are plenty here that are on placebo.
    You are right that derlin ones should work even better, partly because of the smaller gap (tighter tolerance) and partly because they are stiffer, i.e. deform less when load is applied to them. No argument they do a LOT to reduce Noise/Vibration/Harshness (NVH); but I would be really surprised if they do anything at all for chassis torsional stiffness, which is another story...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (08-08-2015)

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    You are right that derlin ones should work even better, partly because of the smaller gap (tighter tolerance) and partly because they are stiffer, i.e. deform less when load is applied to them. No argument they do a LOT to reduce Noise/Vibration/Harshness (NVH); but I would be really surprised if they do anything at all for chassis torsional stiffness, which is another story...
    By solid and stiff I mean less NVH. I don't know about chassis torsional stiffness much but if the doors are anchored and secured tightly won't that improve chassis stiffness as well? I am not much help to this question.......all I know is that this little tub drives way better than it did with the factory bushing. A very cheap upgrade IMO.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-08-2015)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123