Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debbid Does Track Days

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch debbid's Avatar
    Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given

Talking Debbid Does Track Days

Hey Everyone,

I've always wanted to put together a build thread but progress on my car is usually slow, so I never did. But I changed my mind. Here's my build thread.

I'll start with a little bit of background to show how I arrived at where I am now. I started doing track days back in 2002 with my 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R. I eventually sold that car and bought an 04 WRX Wagon, which was unfortunately wrecked at a track day. I decided that I didn't want to take my DD to the track anymore, so I bought my first Miata. That car never did make it to the track though because I started riding motorcycles at that time. From Fall 2006 to Winter 2012, I got my track fix from motorcycles. They were lots of fun but when my son was born, I felt that risk involved with motorcycles was too high and I sold my bike. But the track bug was still with me. I thought about taking my DD to the track (another WRX Wagon) but I needed a car to get to work and cart my kid around. I considered my options, looked at lots of different cars, and, as we all know, the answer was Miata.

In July 2012, I bought my '96 Miata. It wasn't the cleanest car but the price was right considering I was going to replace many of the worn out OEM parts. The car had 169,000 miles on the odometer, lots of dings, rough paint, and the heaviest 16" wheels I have ever seen.

I had a set of Rota RBs from another project, so I immediately swapped those over and the car was already looking better.

Next step was to give the car a thorough examination and figure out what to do next. The suspension was in pretty sad shape and the engine was pretty leaky, so those were the first things on the list. I replaced the suspension with the Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5 kit, fixed the leaks, and installed a roll bar. Then I replaced the header, cat, and cat-back since they were rusty, welded-together mess. I went with a Jackson Racing CARB-Legal Header (because CA) and Roadstersport Cat-back.

The car stayed in this state for more than a year. I was spending most of my car time doing rallycross with my Subaru and the Miata was neglected. But in 2014, I shifted my focus back to the Miata. My cousin picked up a red NA with a white hard top and no soft top. He loves having a convertible, so I traded him my soft top plus some cash for his hardtop. I had an old, torn up soft top in my garage, so I decided to use it for a ProjectG G-String top. Around this time I also picked up the recently-released Advandti Storm S1 wheels in 15x8. My car looked like this around the end of Summer 2014. Also made it out to the Miatas@MRLS 25th Anniversary Event.

Someone from Mazda snapped this picture of me as I was driving into the Miatas@MRLS event:

Seeing all the Miatas at Laguna Seca really inspired me to get to the track. That was the whole reason for buying the car, right? I realized that if I didn't sign up for a track day, I wouldn't actually get the rest of the mods I wanted to the track. In September 2014, I signed up for a weekend of events in December at Thunderhill in Northern CA. Being 6' tall, I wasn't comfortable with the stock seats and the rollbar. I barely passed the broomstick test with my helmet on in my foamectomied stock seat. I decided to go with and Ultrashield seat and harness from Track Dog Racing. I also replaced the OEM steering with a 330mm Nardi Deep Corn and Nardi QR and Hub. Also rolled my fenders in anticipation of the track days.

I didn't get any pics of the events at Thunderhill. And the weather was really bad that weekend, it rained and the track was damp but it was fun anyways. And I was hooked again. I couldn't wait to get to the track again, so I signed up for a Laguna Seca track day. The weather was perfect and a professional photographer was out there taking pics of us. So here's my Miata as of Jan 25th. I really love this car. It's so much fun to drive and I look forward to many more track days in the years to come.

My pan going forward is to do more track days. From a mod perspective, I'm going to get another seat and harness for the passenger side. I also have a set of frame rail braces that I need to install at some point. Thanks looking at my car! I'll make updates as things change or I do more events.

Mod List:
    - Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5 Suspension Kit
    - Harddog Hardcore Single Diagonal Roll Bar
    - Track Dog Racing Ultrashield Seat
    - Ultrashield Harness
    - Autopower Seat Brace
    - Nardi 330mm Suede Deep Corn Steering Wheel
    - NRG Hub and QR
    - Jackson Racing Header
    - Roadstersport Cat-Back
    - 15x8 Advanti Storm S1 wheels
    - Replica R-Package front and rear lips
    - TSIs
    1996 Mazda Miata - The TIE MX5

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debbid For This Useful Post:

BoBo (03-09-2015),Phatmiata (02-12-2015),Slampen (03-13-2015),tsingson (02-13-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

I built the NA I bought in '00 for trackdays. I sold it in '13 to a friend. I'm buying it back. I love tracking this car.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

debbid (03-09-2015),tsingson (02-13-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Looks great!! I wish our tracks had corkscrews like that!!

Also don't think of them as build threads so much as story threads. It's always neat to look back and see how far you and your car have come. Glad you decided to make a build / story thread!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Slampen (03-13-2015)

Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Looks great!! I wish our tracks had corkscrews like that!!

Also don't think of them as build threads so much as story threads. It's always neat to look back and see how far you and your car have come. Glad you decided to make a build / story thread!
    We are pretty spoiled here in the San Francisco Bay Area since we have four great tracks within about four hours of driving: Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, Sonoma and Laguna Seca. Hopefully, I'll make it down to the Los Angeles area and try some of those tracks.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Thunderschleife!

Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    So, I've hit something of a cross roads with my Miata. Over the weekend, I experienced an NA with a Begi S3 kit. I was totally blown away by this car. After my last track day, I had been thinking "I would love some more power." So yesterday, I woke up all psyched about the idea of getting a turbo kit. I spent the evening reading about turboing my Miata, weighing the pros and cons of different kits, and the ultimate cost. I know there's more to it than just the turbo kit, such as the clutch. I have an OEM clutch that is in great shape, so I don't love the idea of replacing it right now.

It got me think about why I bought the Miata and what my goals are with it. Bought the car to do track days and I've met that goal. Now, I want to be faster and more consistent on the track. Will a turbo kit do that? Well, I'll probably be faster on the straights but maybe not over all. Maybe a better suspension or brakes would help more? If I could carry more speed through turns, the lack of power would be less evident. Not to mention the California emission laws. My car currently passes smog and that is very convenient. There's no way to turbo a Miata "the right way" and pass CA smog laws. I could always get an FFS MP62 kit but that is like $5k.

Anyways, I just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm not really sure what I want to do but I'm not convinced its a turbo kit.

Idling - Listen to it purr... PioneerMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    SE-BRG 2001
    Thanks Given
    Really enjoyed reading through it and ogling the pics, thanks for that!

I've done a bit of roadracing, both 4 wheels and 2, and the key to more speed is almost never more power. If your objective with the car is to retain its 'streetability' (ie. passing CA emissions), you should probably leave the engine alone. If you're comfortable with your own skills as a driver, then focus on optimizing grip and balance with the chassis.

YMMV, of course; but that's my $.02.
    Ron E. - Livin' in Miata Heaven
    '01 SE BRG 'Emma'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PioneerMX5 For This Useful Post:

debbid (03-12-2015)

Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    Glad you enjoyed the read, PioneerMX5. I totally agree with you. I've decided that i'm not going to worry about adding power. As you said, I'll just work on getting more seat time and improving the chassis.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Debbid does Dallas area track days?

Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Debbid does Dallas area track days?
    Maybe some day. For now I'm just doing San Francisco Bay Area track days

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! geffrocks86's Avatar
    Drives
    like an old man
    Thanks Given
    I you haven't already, get a ride with a good driver in a SPEC miata. I thought I needed more HP in my na until I rode around T-hill in a SPEC miata pulling 2:09's

After shitting bricks, I realized it wasn't power I needed, it was more seat time. Investing in a roll cage and proper seat/harness really gives you that confidence to push it a little more each time out.

Drives
    like an old man
    Thanks Given
    Got a picture of the wrx wagon? I'm a fan, I have a bugeye wagon.

Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    The Amazon man stopped by with gifts today.

I've been unhappy with the audio quality in my Miata since I bought it. I don't want hella bass (yo) but I want to be able to hear my music while driving to the track.

I'm going headunitless. A small amp is going to power the door speakers. And my phone is going to connect via bluetooth. I'm going to install it this weekend. I'm pretty excited.

Drives
    White 1996
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by geffrocks86 View Post
    Got a picture of the wrx wagon? I'm a fan, I have a bugeye wagon.
    Here's my wagon! She's got:

King lift Springs
    Tokico D-Specs
    Group-N Top Hats
    Whiteline Swaybars and Endlinks
    Crucial downpipe
    TubroXS exhaust
    Accessport with OTS Stage 2 Map
    Rally Innovations Light Bar
    PIAA Fog Lamps (not pictured)

Attached Images Attached Images

Drives
    like an old man
    Thanks Given
    That is an awesome setup on the Subie! Very cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast