Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: HarryB's Strato blue NB2

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    After a long time idling (work getting on the way as usual) I was really anticipating the x-mas vacation, to actually work a bit on the car. Had plans over doing some interior cleaning, some rattleproofing, properly adjusting my hardtop, aligning bumpers, installing a bunch of stuff and sort out the noise insulation, or at least come up with a solid plan as alread intorduced in the DIY section. Unfortunately, time was rather limited again; neverheless managed to squeeze in a few things.

First one on the list was hunting down an annoying noise/rattle seemingly coming from the A-pillar. This was no surprise, as the PO has installed an aftermarket radio antenna and the wiring was routed in the windshield frame trim. So, out they go, only to realize that there was more to it than just loose wires... All tabs broken, attempted to be fixed by hot glue, unsuccessfully.

Obviously, broken tabs resulted in rubbing...and noise.

Secured the added wires to the existing harness every 4" or so by using electrical tape (white, as I ran out of black. I know, unseen, but bugs me, so I will most probably re-do this )

I used some self-adhesive velcro material to line the inside of the trim where wires were passing, to make sure that there are no rattles. Used some of this stuff also where rubbing marks were found, before reassembling the lot.

All broken tabs were cleaned, sanded lightly and then bonded using proper adhesive. End result:

No installed picture, but it is immersively more quiet now. So much, that I actually found another source of rattles. Seems that the chrome sill plate covers have some tabs bonded on their back side, which then clip onto the plastic parts. Almost all of them are broken, so the whole thing rattles quite a lot. Lack of proper adhesive made me postpone this for now, but will get back to it.

Next up on the list was installing the KG Works stainless panel I bought. Looking awesome with Adam's gauges:

And installed!

Not massively fond of how it looks on my interior; I do not like beige together with stainless. Maybe it just needs more stainless/polished details to match. Nevertheless I am looking for a black one to swap, albeit the brushed finishing on the stainless one is so classy it's almost unreal.

Last "achievement", I finally got around to install my lip. This is an RS Factory Stage knockoff, so fitment was not quite right out of the box. It actually took quite bit of effort, cursing, borrowing a second set of hands (my dad), using my sisters' hairdryer (as I forgot my heatgun back home) and a cut finger, but it is ON!

Really like the looks of it (if you excuse the very dirty car). I have also ordered a nose badge, as the car looks really weird to me without one. Last but not least, insurance company approved my claim over that freak accident with the flying object landing all over my car, so it is going in for a full respray once the weather gets warmer (probably around May). It is time to paint the wheel centers as well, hopefully within January.
    Last edited by HarryB; 07-17-2017 at 10:47 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

BluFalcon (01-04-2017),BRGNA8 (02-20-2017),Dandy (02-20-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (01-03-2017),MiataQuest (03-12-2017),Paul B (01-03-2017),RustRat (01-03-2017),ueru (01-04-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Forgot to mention that (at least in theory) the KG Works panel is a "plug 'n play" item, with no wiring or other modifications required. I installed it like that at first, but the OEM "faces" of the indicator panels could be seen as "holograms" on the KGW bulb covers. I did not like the fact that the light was not uniform inside the bulbs due to this, so I opened up the cluster again and removed the OEM indicator panels, made heaps of a difference, much happier with it now!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Hey Harry, I sent you a PM about your package. I know you had some problems before with getting messages, just wanted to try here so we can communicate and then you will have something else to post in here.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-20-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Hello Mike! Thanks, replied back! ;) As you said, hopefully I will have more things to post about soon!

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Bought some more pieces for the puzzle. First of all there was and ACT ProLite flywheel and ACT HD clutch and pressure plate setup for sale, that I could not resist of (given the price). Used, but seemingly in good shape. Debating of I should keep the (used) ACT throwout bearing or opt for a new OEM one.

Second of all, I wanted to give anodizing a wooden MOMO Indy a go (since I could not find a black one for sale), so I scored a cheap and seemingly tired one at YAJ, only to find out it is a 1980 model, in great shape.

Got a couple more packages coming in by the end of the week, hopefully there will be some free time to start installing these soon!
    Last edited by HarryB; 07-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (03-12-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (03-16-2017),MiataQuest (03-12-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-12-2017)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch kitster's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Emerald Mica Miata
    Thanks Given
    All you need now is a BLACK KG WORKS GAUG PANEL HarryB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kitster For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-14-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Today marks our second anniversary, and boy it has been fun. This car is way more than a car to me, it is my therapy. Regardless if it is about a slow night drive, a top-down cruise, a spirited blast in a mounted road or just washing it at 2AM, this machine has ways of making me happy, and taking my worries away. I have thought of it over and over and I will be investing some more silly money on it, starting from a complete respray, so I know it will be my forever car now.

For our anniversary, I have decided a while back to get a new nose badge. The gems Adam made were really tempting and as such I went on and ordered a Type 60 one, to match the Mazda logo on my gauges. Did not like the white bits so I asked him to remove them. I originally wanted to go with a black one with a chrome lettering; in my view it would be the easiest way to match it with everything. Then I thought I would ask if a custom Strato blue would be possible; and Adam made it happen. And then I saw a picture of some XR4 wheel center cap stickers with gold lettering on his IG...and my jaw dropped. I knew I loved gold, and given that my wheel centers are going to be painted in champagne, I started having second thoughts over whether I should give it a try. After lots of backs and forths, I decided to play "safe" and go with the chrome one, that would match anything. So I placed my order and waited...and then this happened.

Adam had actually sent me two of those without me knowing; the second one in the gold colour I so badly wanted but were too scared to "risk" it. I haven't been so happy and excited for a very long time.

I mean...just look at it! The gold shade is just perfect, so damn classy and looks so good against the blue background!! And the quality of these little gems is simply unreal. I had very high expectations to begin with, since I have bought Adam's stuff before, but these well exceeded them! He even managed to match the car paint pretty close (rested against the hood for the pic).

In the first pic you might have as well spotted a set of Sharka rings; these came from chiefmg, which was so kind to receive my badges from Adam and then forward them with the rings to me, so to save on shipping. Thanks a lot Mike, not only for this but also for the excellent packaging, the great condition of the rings and for taking the extra step and making sure I have everything in hand. People like you, Adam, Randy, Petros and many others in here make me happy and proud to be part of the community.
    Last edited by HarryB; 07-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (03-24-2017),chiefmg (03-23-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2017),kitster (03-24-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-23-2017),Paul B (03-23-2017),RustRat (03-24-2017)

Thanks Given
    Harry, I'm glad the package finally made it to you. Those badges look great (Adam made me swear not to tell you he sent both).

For anyone shipping stuff overseas, the USPS tracking number doesn't work once it's out of the States (or at least in this case it didn't) so I had no idea where it was. I had visions of some postal worker somewhere ending up with Mazda badges on his Honda!
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (03-24-2017),HarryB (03-24-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-24-2017),Paul B (03-23-2017),RustRat (03-24-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-24-2017),NCGreasemonkey (03-24-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    There was more indeed! Even before the 1st package made it to me, my friend Peter (RustRat) told me he intended to place an order from Adam, so I added a rear badge as well. Adam remembered the chrome/gold controversy, and he added an extra gold in that set as well as a gift. Needless to say I was speechless once more when I found out, thank you so much!

Then I had this conversation with Peter, telling him how amazing, almost unreal the blue/gold badge looked, and mentioned that the next step would be a stacked MOMO horn button, with the same colour combo, so that I can finally installed my Super Indy. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and this happens

That's what happens when you have awesome friends around. Two years back I didn't knew any of them; two years and lots of discussions and passion about the same things can get you a long way though. Thanks a lot guys, cannot put to words how much I appreciate these!!!
    Last edited by HarryB; 07-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

chiefmg (04-09-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2017),Paul B (04-09-2017),RustRat (04-09-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    A couple of months ago I was fooling around at eBay UK when a set of JDM Eunos Roadster checkered mats popped up. These were all black, so they could fit the vision I had for my interior, and albeit filthy they looked in good condition. Auction was finishing, so I bidded, not expecting to win...until I won. Could not believe my luck as these came to a total of 25 euros shipped. Here's how they looked when arrived:

They look dirty from here, but what cannot be seen is how much dirt can really be hidden in a thick, close loop carpet. Man these were filthy... I tried to remove as much of the dirt by hitting them against a wall for 20mins, producing huge dust clouds. Then I tried compressed air, kicking more and more out. Then I vacuumed them twice, and after that pressure washed them for approx 15'. But they were still dirty... So I put them in the bathtub, warm water and clothes detergent, plus a stiff brush for carpets. After the 2nd pass this was what they left behind

Took me 4 more passes and approximately 1.5 hour to get them properly clean, but the end result was worth it!

Now I am afraid of putting them in the car fearing that they will get dirty again
    Last edited by HarryB; 07-17-2017 at 10:50 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-14-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2017),Paul B (04-09-2017)

Thanks Given
    That's awesome about your badges Harry.

Those mats were some kind of dirty. Way to persevere and get them clean. They look great.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-10-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Those mats look brand new! Good work!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-14-2017),HarryB (04-10-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Having scored a few sweet parts lately, I have been thinking of the stuff I have accumulated and is waiting to be installed, as well as all the effort that I have put on this little car, and then decided to write down a "spec" list, Steve-style, just to have an idea of the current status. Then figured out, why not share it with everyone on my favorite forum?

2004 Miata NB2 1.6 EUDM high edition, tan interior, wooden Nardi package, heated seats

EXTERIOR
    RS Factory Stage front lip (copy)
    OEM mud flaps
    Custom Revlimiter Type 60 badges
    Side relocation front plate mount
    OEM HT
    New mohair hood

INTERIOR
    Lotus Elise seats
    KG Works stainless cluster bezel
    AWD gauge rings
    AWD needle covers
    Revlimiter custom "Spyder" gauges
    LED interior/gauges/switch bulbs
    Trans tunnel side lights
    JDM Eunos black floor mats
    JDM Roadster gear lever surround
    Custom leather door handle covers
    Custom leather handbrake cover
    Custom leather gaiter cover
    Padded glovebox/central console
    JDM folding visors
    Revlimiter Sharka vent rings
    MOMO Super Indy
    Custom Revlimiter Type 60 horn button

ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
    Toyota COPS
    IL Motorsport aluminum radiator
    Kraftwerks Rotrex C30/74 intercooled kit
    MS2 Enhanced ECU
    RX8 420cc injectors
    Thermal intake gasket
    Rewrapped wiring loom
    Mazdaspeeed engine mounts
    OEM Torsen T2
    ACT ProLite flywheel
    ACT HD clutch

SUSPENSION & HANDLING
    OEM Sport package underbraces
    TR Lane double hoop roll bar
    Frame rails
    RB rear subframe brace
    Maruha coilovers

WHEELS, TIRES, BRAKES
    15x7 et24 Watanabe RS8
    Watanabe center caps
    Watanabe lug nuts
    Watanabe valve stems & caps
    Federal 595RSR
    OEM Sport package brakes (270/276mm)
    Pagid rotors
    HEL braided brake lines
    ATE Typ100 fluid

OTHERS
    Front Tie Down Hooks Removed
    Reconditioned Wiper Arms
    Reconditioned top latches
    Cappuccino washer bottle
    Philips 4300K Crystal Vision headlamp bulbs
    Custom derlin door bushings
    Cleaned/sanitized HVAC system

MAINTENANCE
    Continental accessory belts
    Continental timing belt
    OEM Mazda idler bearings replacement
    OEM Mazda cam seal replacement
    OEM Mazda crankshaft seal replacement
    OEM Mazda fuel filter replacement
    OEM Mazda PCV valve replacement
    OEM Mazda VC gasket replacement
    OEM Mazda shifter insulation replacement
    OEM Mazda shifter boots & cap replacement
    OEM Mazda top latch end caps replacement
    OEM Mazda thermostat replacement
    OEM Mazda brake lights grommets replacement
    Valeo 100 coolant
    Redline LSD oil
    Redline gearbox oil

Aforementioned list includes a lot of parts I already have (or paid for) but not installed yet, and I have to confess that it gave me a great motivation to start working and installing them on the car. Pretty sure I have forgot some stuff I have already done as well.

Still a shitload to do; created a duplicate list including parts I am looking for. I think I am enjoying this more than I should.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (05-07-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (05-04-2017),JamieH (05-05-2017),NCGreasemonkey (05-04-2017),Paul B (05-04-2017),RustRat (05-04-2017),ueru (05-10-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Nice!

You reminded me I need to update my list.

Peace Nut!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-05-2017),RustRat (05-05-2017)

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast