Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Keep that NB conversation going

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    Grounding points can be a culprit for stuff like that too. Then again, when's the last time you've cleaned your intake, IAC valve, etc.?
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Sean5294's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 2002 Miata LS
    Thanks Given
    I painted my headlight housings today.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sean5294 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (10-05-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
    Grounding points can be a culprit for stuff like that too. Then again, when's the last time you've cleaned your intake, IAC valve, etc.?
    That would be late May, so I doubt it. Plus it would do it regardless of the electrical load I assume. Will check the grounding points as well, thanks!

P.S. Sean, headlights look cool, love the yellow tinted fog lights as well!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    A higher electrical load can sometimes exacerbate symptoms that you wouldn't see otherwise. I mentioned that specifically because I dealt with two Miatas that had a gunked up IACV on one and a failing IACV on another and both only exhibited idle dip issues when a higher electrical load was placed on the system. After cleaning/replacing the issue was gone. Something else to keep in mind depending on your location, drastic weather changes can affect idle as well. Pop a jumper between TEN and GND ports in the diagnostics box and make sure the idle speed stays between 800-900 RPM, with 900 RPM being the better target to avoid idle droop.
    Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 10-05-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean5294 View Post
    I painted my headlight housings today.
    Headlights look good. I want to do this but am always scared to open them up.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Let's have a paint-party. I've done this on a few cars (non-Miata) without issue. Been wanting to do it, since I got the car.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    News from the idle issue; checked my battery voltage with engine off, with engine running and with headlights on (LO&HI), voltage seems normal. However it still runs low with headlights on. Added to that, yesterday it stalled when slowing down to come to a halt. Thought it was an one-off incident, car started immediately after. However, the same thing happened this evening as well, so I start wondering; might has to do with the low idle though. Also, I have been hearing a fluttering/squeaking noise from the passenger side, it started around the same time as the idle issues, but cannot say for sure. I cannot really locate it too, as my clutch bearing is quite noisy... Any clues?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Alternator might be letting go. Mine was making a bunch of noise but I also had noticeable voltage drop at the same time so I knew what it was. Replaced it and all was well again.

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    So, I noticed my brake light staying on during the commute to work this morning. It was on for the first 20 minutes. then off for about 25 minutes. came back on again during the last 5 minutes. Fluid has decreased to the minimal level. The BMC does not appear to be leaky, neither do the hard lines at the distribution block. looks like I'll be pulling the wheels off this weekend and looking for leaks/worn pads, if the weekend can stay dry.

I've also noticed a light metallic sounding scrape/thud that only occurs when the car is going downhill and turning to the right (ie, from a parking lot, onto a main road. there's those ramped concrete joiners). Not sure what that could be yet.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Are the Morette Lights still available??
    I think there was someone selling them in Italy (possibly where they are made?) but they are like $800 USD per set, looking in my old HyperREV catalog

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    Let's have a paint-party. I've done this on a few cars (non-Miata) without issue. Been wanting to do it, since I got the car.
    Wife is not going to let me back the headlights in the oven. I'm down elsewhere though. I may be doing the sound deadener in the NB this weekend if it gets here on time.

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    My house mates will be out of town the weekend of the 24-25. We can knock it out then at my place if you are down for it.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    I'll see if I have any things that weekend but it sounds good. I also need to know if you still have that RTV that I lent you. I need to use it for an upcoming project.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Had a weird noise coming (presumably) from the exhaust. It was quite bad, at low revs/high load (3rd-5th gear pulls around 1800RPM). Adding to that I was hearing a clacking noise on some potholes last week, so I paid a visit in a friends' exhaust shop to check it. I was thinking that it would be either the heatshield coming loose or a broken exhaust hanger. Turned out the buzzing/resonating noise was due to the handbrake cable, a few zip ties fixed that. And the clacking noise was coming from the rear plate light connector, as I have removed the light housing due to a broken clip...

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    I'll see if I have any things that weekend but it sounds good. I also need to know if you still have that RTV that I lent you. I need to use it for an upcoming project.
    That RTV exploded in the bottom of my tool box and totally ruined a bunch of tools. Need to buy some kerosene and see if I can get them all cleaned up. I'll get you another tube if you need it.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast