Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxilite wheels

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given

Maxilite wheels

Anyone come across Maxilite wheels; these are German (or Swiss), and a Minilite style. They have a 15x7, offset 35mm, correct centre bore, 6.8kg, 3 year warranty

http://customer.maxilite.ch/en/datsun/ml715411400sp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Cerchi-M...item4aeca56aef

Not seen any fitted to a MX5 though. The spokes look straighter than some other Minilite designs. But they are a 15x7 for reasonable money; we can't get silver RBs in 15x7 in the UK. I don't want the 15x8.
    Last edited by roadsternut; 08-26-2015 at 05:03 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

BoBo (09-23-2015),tsingson (08-27-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    They look nice. Do they have a TUV mark? Realistically, most wheels are coming from China so probably not an inferior wheel.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    They indeed do look nice. They are a bit on the heavy side IMO though.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    IMO if a rim similarly priced to the RPF1 15x8 +25 but weights more won't be a smart choice other than you are buying a wheel solely for form or to be different than the rest which of course is understandable.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    They look nice. Do they have a TUV mark? Realistically, most wheels are coming from China so probably not an inferior wheel.
    They seem to come with TUV paperwork, but I think now they are imported from the Far East. The wheels have casting marks that at least indicate they are made for Maxilite AG. The manufacturer makes replica Fuchs as well, which seem to have a following.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    They indeed do look nice. They are a bit on the heavy side IMO though.
    Lighter than the factory Panasports fitted to my M2-1002. 300 grams heavier than the RB 15x7, but then, they don't need a spigot kit. They'll be way ligher than Chapparels, which are available from ILM for about £100 more.

And of course, a huge improvement on the Work Meister CR-01s I have presently (heavy).

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    IMO if a rim similarly priced to the RPF1 15x8 +25 but weights more won't be a smart choice other than you are buying a wheel solely for form or to be different than the rest which of course is understandable.
    Thanks for that sarcasm-loaded "contribution", though it is of no value whatsoever. If that was true, you would be talking sense. But these wheels are a smidge under £500 plus £30 delivery for 4.

Pretty much the only UK supplier of RPF1s (with them in stock) wants nearly £1000 plus delivery for 15x8 RPF-1s. And spending £1000 to gain a third of a pound on a £200 set of factory 15" BBSs, which have the correct offset? I think some RPF-1 owners are also fashion victims.

I didn't post to be lectured on wheel weights. I owned MX5s for 18 years now, been through Enkeis, Watanabe (mag alloy and regular alloy), Works, Panasports, BBSs, solid spokes, hollow spokes. I'm not sure on what planet having interest in a wheel that is essentially a 50 year old design is a sign of wanting to be "different". Obviously, this is a brand of wheel new to the MX5 community.

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Wow is that how expensive an RPF1 across the pond? I am talking about price point as the price for those rims you stated is about close to the price you pay for an RPF1 15x8 +28 stateside. Manufacturing process and design are essentially the weight difference. Those are indeed nice looking rims but without a comparison how can one justify ones greatness? This is not belittling these rims but rather an opinion from a likely friendly and nonjudgmental forum.

Just curious if you were to import those rims in the US will it be between $800 - $1000? If so it shall be compared to existing available rims in the US for our beloved Miata coz' price will be the final killer of the deal. But back there it sounds like a fair price.

Again please this is IMO.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Ah, cool GTA replicas

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Wow is that how expensive an RPF1 across the pond? I am talking about price point as the price for those rims you stated is about close to the price you pay for an RPF1 15x8 +28 stateside. Manufacturing process and design are essentially the weight difference. Those are indeed nice looking rims but without a comparison how can one justify ones greatness? This is not belittling these rims but rather an opinion from a likely friendly and nonjudgmental forum.

Just curious if you were to import those rims in the US will it be between $800 - $1000? If so it shall be compared to existing available rims in the US for our beloved Miata coz' price will be the final killer of the deal. But back there it sounds like a fair price.

Again please this is IMO.

Your post came over as unnecessarily critical. Shipping a set of wheels is $300-400. Add on top of that total 5-10%, depending on how Customs codes the wheels. Then 20% VAT. $1652 landed, from Goodwin, with no warranty as such. The pricing might improve when Enkei finally transfer production to their Chinese factory, to join the CompE et al.

And after all that, you end up with a 28 offset. Given the similarity to the offset of my Works, I'd say that will make for interior handling, offsetting any perceived gains in weight savings. In fact, I had greater gains in switching to Aluminium Protech shocks than when I had the mag alloy Watanabes. Unless the wheel is very heavy, the importance of wheel weight in the MX5 community has been has been rather overstated, especially when it lead to people fitting inferior wheels just to be "light". Mazda knew that when it fitted "heavy" Panasports to it 's track focussed M2-1001.

The price of these Maxilite rims in the US will depend largely on your tax regime. You will know more about that.

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Those Panasports were around 15 lbs if my info serves me right so same as these Maxilite rims. If they get here stateside at Rota RB's price they will have a shot as they appear pretty well done but then again Rota now guarantees their rims for life if you can prove that their rims are defective.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    You gotta go with what's affordable in your country.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Those Panasports were around 15 lbs if my info serves me right so same as these Maxilite rims. If they get here stateside at Rota RB's price they will have a shot as they appear pretty well done but then again Rota now guarantees their rims for life if you can prove that their rims are defective.
    Rota doesn't offer that guarantee outside of the US.

I had the official Mazda issue Panasports (there are ways to tell); they were about 15.5lbs. 15" Panasports are £1144 plus shipping from Panasport's Dutch importer. I'd take these any over the more expensive RFP-1, especially as it seems that the RFP-1 is sold in the US as a bit of a budget wheel.

Some of the wheels I've had over the years;

15" Watanabe F8Fs, actually quite heavy

14" mag alloy Wats, light, but got rid of because of the odd rubbing under hard cornering. Gave them away.....

15" Mk2 wheels, purchased from Mazda. Good wheel.

15" factory BBS on the S-Limited

Factory steels

M2-1002 Panasports

Works CR-01 on the S-Limited. A previous owner "restored" them by powdercoating the centres (now flaking) and using the wrong replacement bolts (too long). They've got to go.

Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Problem is, these Maxilite wheels only went on sale in June, and the seller doesn't have any photos of them mounted on a MX5. Lots of them fitted to other classic cars, but these are all too small to gauge how the straighter spoke looks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (08-29-2015)

Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Nice. I bet you miss those Wats. They are IMO "THE" rims for the Miata NA second will the Sharks. A friend of mine even fitted a BBK on his Wats. Their "bananas" are the right length and angle no pun intended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast