Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miss Blue Journal

Supporting Member artcentermiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver Fastback NB / Blue NA
    Thanks Given

Miss Blue Journal

Welcome to the story of my daily driver.

-Miss Blue-

If you're wondering, "why Miss Blue?"

Well, it's origin is less complex than my other more intimidating build, Kimochi Cruiser. Miss Blue is the name held to my favorite song from a band i grew up with, Filter. While the song's lyrics don't quite meet the feeling of this build, being overwhelmingly solemn and empty- The car is indeed very blue, and i have grown so attached to it in the recent months that this pretty Laguna Blue C-Package has forced its grip on my heart.

More related to the name, is the story foreshadowing my purchase of Miss Blue. I had sold my Toyota Rav4 to aid in some financial needs; soon after i had realized how hard life becomes when your daily vehicle returns to being a supercharged and incredibly modified silver Miata... So the search for something a little more affordable than buying back the Rav4 began.

I had come across -what seemed to be- a well taken care of Mariner Blue NA6; high mileage with a few cosmetic woes. After a thorough inspection i decided to add it to the stable. For a few weeks it served its purpose- transporting me to campus alongside my supplies. Shortly after, the bugs swept under the rug began to show themselves- Idle became uneven, lack of power, overheating... After a once over inside the engine bay i discovered that the crank pulley had all but vibrated into a broken mess of ugliness (the dreaded 1.6SNC wobble).

The Mariner was promptly disposed of and i found myself partnered with this pretty Laguna- Praying that she'll breathe long enough to become my inspired daily runabout; Miss Blue.

Let's start

Pretty on the Outside

This 1994 Laguna Blue C-Package while seemingly glossy and preserved, presented a few issues when i first brought it home. It seems the owner might have left the top down in a rain storm... or two- as the seats are rigid and discolored beyond any help. Upon further inspection, i came to the conclusion that Miss Blue has been re-cleared; while not bothersome to me (it seems well done), its something to note.

Otherwise, the 80,000 miles it has traveled certainly do not show. Healthy power delivery and no signs of burning liquids left me in joy.

Earning Her Keep

Shortly after getting acclimated to driving an NA, the opportunity arrived to test its reliability on a small kart track in the middle of nowhere, Grange Motor Circuit. The travel and abuse would stand to be her first demonstration of well being.

We left early morning, its always good to see the glowing fluorescent colors of California's sunrise.

Soon the sun cast was high and the mountains of the valley began to show- This is a nice change from the rocky peaks surrounding Pasadena.

We had arrived- but not without traversing a 2 mile and uninhabited rally ready road. When i said middle of nowhere, i meant it!

The day was hot! Not entirely sure why i chose to drop the top and enhance my farmer's tan... Blue seemed to be handling the intense heat index well- A few sessions revealed that my shock absorbers were blown, powersteering fluid was aging, and a stock Miata sheds light on drivers who might still have skills to learn- issues that were previously being hidden by a much more capable car (Kimochi...)

We tried adding a passenger to balance the incredible body roll...

And of course, you'll never make a trip home without someone having a technical issue!

Overall, It was a great experience. Learning to compensate for the lack of grip (even with a new set of Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, body roll and a poor alignment took their toll) was fun. A car that makes you work to maintain speed actually seems more enjoyable than having the backhand of supercharged grunt and unlimited surface staying power.

Something Straight from Japan

Ever since laying eyes on Madaboutmx5s Kanspo equipped cars, i knew i needed to track down one of these uniquely stout lightweight hardtops. Just my luck that JDMpalace had been storing one for a few years, hoping to add it to one of his vehicles.

After conveying my deepest interest to Mr. Palace- myself practically begging; he made arrangements with me to meet him in the Sacramento area for pickup.

It had a few heavily damaged edges from shipment and storage as well as some very corroded rivnut inserts.

While i didn't have the funds to repair or properly paint the top, i did fork out for these nifty garage star front brackets matched with his security bolts. To add another layer of protection, Beatrush Locking Latches were added with some heavyweight padlocks.

While searching around, i had also come across a nice little interior touch from the Japanese market Roadster.

Medic!

To this date, Miss Blue had been reliable- but a trip to Indotech Motorsports for an alignment led to the discovery of a pretty heavy waterpump leak. Because i trust Alex of Indotech, i let him take care of business here; with school becoming more time consuming i have since let him take over most of my in depth repairs.

Quite the Donation

Being occupied with Facebook can sometimes be rewarding. A friend of ours had been repainting his Miata and found this vented hood did not satisfy the direction of aesthetics (mainly do to fit and finish). He made a post offering it to anyone who would enjoy the challenge of improving its quality- I raised my hand swiftly. (Kimochi making a guest appearance.)

Im not sure of what brand it is- a hint to its origin is the SAE hardware. But i enjoyed the muscular high risen front vent surface.

Stay Tuned!
    Last edited by artcentermiata; 09-27-2015 at 06:46 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

91BRG (09-27-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (09-28-2015),Ihatecars (09-28-2015),Phatmiata (01-24-2016),RuckkehrMiata (09-27-2015),tsingson (09-27-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    A Brief Moment with TRA

KINOD's 9th anniversary was upon us and i needed a set of wheels to match the aggressive fiberglass obtained.

fwdtamiya gifted me these TRA Kyoto Drag wheels to fit the part- Though, being the greedy person he is- would not accept any offer i provided to purchase them.

So That's How It's Going to Be

Since i could not convince a certain individual to award me the beautiful TRAs, I decided to seek my own Japanese 4-spoke wheels.

The result of my effort, SSR MK2R wheels in 14x6.5 +32 offset. While certainly weak in spec, they have that great 1990 import culture aesthetic to match the Kanspo hardtop and the vented hood- I was starting to develop a vision for Miss Blue (unlike Kimochi, who's theme was set from conception).

Visitor from Motor City

A fellow automotive designer, Darby Jean from Detroit and College for Creative Studies visited California as part of an internship with Honda Advanced Design. While it seemed like she didn't stay long enough for KINOD to adopt, we enjoyed getting to know her and her very aggressive NB2.

It was great having you here, Darby- come back anytime!

Acquire Some, Make Some

Something Ive always wanted to hold in my hands, a genuinely clean and minimally dented ARCmagic chamber was added to the build for a short time. Though, i was greatly disappointed with the loss of mid-range power... i ended up selling it, despite its rarity.

I also began to experiment with designing and 3D printing these P1 style vent orbitals for NA / NB chassis applications. The initial prints looks amazing! Im happy with the proportions- but unfortunately i used low temperature PLA material that shrunk after a few heated days in-car. Ill hopefully be revisiting them soon in a more professional manner.

Friendship is Forever

Decided to make the trip up to Northern California in excitement, visiting best friend since High-School~ RuckkehrMiata.

He had recently migrated from Florida leaving his Miata behind- Until recently when he had it shipped to his location. Being new to the scene, he requested a hand installing coil-overs and removing his soft top- jobs that can be intimidating with one set of hands.

Because his housing situation is strict on vehicle work, we took to renting a professionally equipped lift- and it was worth every cent.

After a few hours of work, it was looking great! Read more about his build here

We found ourselves a sighting spot on the hillsides of Northern California to catch up.

And what seemed to short- Time to head home.

Miss Blue, More Blue

The time came to repair and paint the Kanspo / vented hood- I knew it was going to be a hurdle to bond the cracked skins, so i took it to the trusty hands that helped smooth the fastback on Kimochi.

Inside the shop hides some amazing gems; a classic Celica- neglected but beautiful.

Outside, another Celica. This model being an AWD Alltrac Turbo IMSA Champion.

Prepping for JCCS, an AE86 with fat meat, Volks, and open ITBs.

It would be a while until the top was ready.

In Waiting

Had a night out with Minh- You dont know him, but he's probably the most genuinely honest person i know (despite quirky, to say the least). This photo was taken right before he decided to cut hard right while backing up, dragging the rear quarter along that big cement pole...

Labor Day had us performing labor. Visiting a friends shop near Irvine, we built a wooden race rig for some fun with Gran Turismo, Beer, and tons of toasty grilled wieners!

Back to the Booth

Progress had begun and ended on my Kanspo, my friend works fast! I can always trust him with my impossible jobs. In this picture, each circled area is a splintered or separated piece of glassing- fun...

After the repair, the appropriate leveling took place and in for paint it went.

The Result

Installed, and looking pretty; While this journey is not over, Miss Blue is shaping up to be a reliably comfortable daily driver.

I have grown to love this soft and forgiving Roadster- While Kimochi Cruiser might be put under for some time, the spirit of her certainly is living within this NA8!

Stay tuned!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

91BRG (09-27-2015),Cermivelli (01-24-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (09-28-2015),Ihatecars (09-28-2015),oldgrayleather (09-27-2015),Phatmiata (01-24-2016),RuckkehrMiata (09-27-2015),tsingson (09-27-2015),ZOOMX5 (09-27-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 91BRG's Avatar
    Drives
    91BRG
    Thanks Given
    paint looks immac! the hardtop is a rare site too... what's next on the to-do list?

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Love it Jeremy! Now over to Rukkher's build....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

RuckkehrMiata (09-27-2015)

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    I will say that while a bit pricey, renting a lift is amazing! Full access to air tools, various stationary tools like seal presses / sand blasters / drill press / welder / etc. Stocked shop toolbox with most of your everyday tools (when we inquired about a few less common ones the shop owner explained it simply wasn't economical stock every box with every tool, so they stuck to the basics and kept one or two copies of less common tools in storage).

We installed the coil overs in about 3 hours flat, it would have been 2 if we hadn't had a few issues with bad/rusted bolts and heat making us dumb.

Addendum: gaddang that top and hood look baller painted
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Slipstreem's Avatar
    Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    While I'm not a fan of the hard top (lines just don't flow imo). I can't argue the fact that Blue is simply beautiful. Hopefully Kimochi doesn't get jealous while she naps.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    One reason i love reading your build threads is the story and pics! Great work so far and certainly looking forward to was is to come.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    More good stuff! looking forward to this build.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, Jeremy definitely has the ability to make the build enjoyable to read through.

Never seen that HT in laguna blue, it actually works really well in it.

I would love to see your car lowered on wats.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Maintenance Day

Ive been unfathomably busy with school lately- I will be graduating this upcoming summer, so things have been neglected on both cars.

Unfortunately for Blue, I ran my oil over its 5k lifespan... fortunately it was quality synth and on reserved driving.

Seeing as the car has 90,000 miles it has the standard "tick" when hot and old oil are in the block.

I came across an opportunity to try a new brand of locally produced lube, MAXXoil

It seems to be your standard affair full synthetic 5w30- but i was quite impressed with the packaging- cool proprietary bottles and foil sealed tops led me to believe that some care was taken to make this a good product.

My delight when a fresh 4 quarts quelled my "tick" and slightly high temp needle. I'm pleased that this oil has served well so far, taking a beating in some recent LA traffic slogs. Mainly I'm happy that the "tick" that was present from the get go when using Mobil1 has not shown its face.

Thumbs up in my book, so far- I say check them out
    Last edited by artcentermiata; 10-29-2015 at 03:55 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

tsingson (10-29-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    New Family Member

So I traveled home to Pennsylvania over the holidays. The family was seeking a new vehicle that wasn't too large and within a reasonable budget with nice features.

Of course I had to recommend the great new Mazda CX3-

After a test drive, they were sold on it and decided to bring home a Grand Touring in Meteor Grey Mica. My initial impressions were of very high praise. I couldn't believe the visual completion of this crossover; it truly made me feel like i was seated in a utilitarian ND.

It drove quite well, not much on the power front- but the paddles on the steering wheel were super responsive (in sport mode, it would hold gears and downshift at almost any RPM without the standard "please wait" of most automatics). Handling was also responsive- I was very impressed, almost hated to fly home and leave it.

Back on the Home-Front

Upon return to Socal, I visited my good friend "heldenzeit" (who, like a dingus- does not have his build on this site).

He lives near 949 Racing, who happened to be hosting a swap meet- where I picked up a cheap set of KYB AGX / RacingBeat (more on that later).

Probably Bad, But Still Better

After some research, I concluded that AGX are hated among most groups- named harsh and unreliable... Whelp...

No matter, though- My stock units were way past blown, and the car felt like a magic carpet. So no matter what condition this setup was in (they were truly a bargain), it would be an improvement.

I got to digging in- Having done this so many times in the past, i can conquer a set of shocks and springs in less than an hour. During the install, I managed to mar the shaft on one of the AGXs badly (the leather i was using on my pliers gave out...) I put the shaft into my drill and spun sand paper around it to soften the marks- They now look brand new, but there is a slight undulation near the end of the shaft... Only time will tell if this enough of a tolerance difference to cause the oil to seep through the seal (if they arent blown already).

I despise knowing that a part might fail because of something caused by my own action.

I did add Flyin' Miata bump stops to the front in order to lessen the stock bricks absorption problems.

Blue did receive a nice drop- seems just proportionally correct. Also note that I have removed the vented hood (it was enjoyable for a while, but really didn't fit the style of the Kanspo top).

Is This Real Life?

A friend of mine recently built a small rig to use with Project Cars and Oculus Rift. It's quite intense, the sensation of realism is totally there; being able look 360 degrees of direction while in car.

The resolution could still use some work- but I'm overall intrigued by where gaming will go once this is more developed.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-24-2016),RustRat (01-24-2016),tsingson (01-24-2016),ueru (01-24-2016)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Coming along nicely !!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The End of the Road (For Me)

Well, its been a short but fun road. Blue is now in the hands of a new owner who will take very good care of her.

It wasn't exactly in my plan to sell this build so early- but commuting to Mattel in LA dead lock traffic has become stressing- so i decided to purchase a motorcycle (a Honda CB500X, its nothing amazing but its an amazingly versatile and comfortable bike. It can commute efficiently, travel, canyon, light offroad- and was affordable.)

Im not sure if i shared this in my other build, Kimochi, but i come from a motorcycle background- restoring vintage bikes and racing in GNCC events; so this is a nice return, as long as i remain careful and alert.

The new owner has already made some great alterations- and even has a complete Mazdaspeed B-Spec ITB to plenum kit in his arsenal! I'm excited to see where he takes it!

Its been a fun time- Goodbye, Miss Blue

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to artcentermiata For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (12-17-2016),HarryB (09-26-2016),NCGreasemonkey (09-25-2016),oldgrayleather (09-26-2016),Paul B (09-25-2016),RuckkehrMiata (09-25-2016),tsingson (09-25-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Hope there was a clause in the sale that the new owner had to update us.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-26-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Sounds like w'll be seeing Miss Blue at MRLS. Looking forward to the updates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast