Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Madison - Demon's other-other white Miata

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I hate when I get a threaded carpenters nail in a tire. But, at least it can be plugged and ran to it's corded death.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-05-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Days are always better when you see a package from this guy

Peeking inside, it's the classic Revswag Pack

I love the fact that he personalizes these!
    That box has something on it; let's see

A clue, A clue!

Boom! A totally custom set of gauges, based on the Tron franchise.
    I wanted something extremely minimal, functional, and bright. It took us a few consults and re-designs, but he finally hit the home-run with this design. I keep the functioning position of the high-beam indicator and the check engine light. The icy blue actually looks great against the orange of the radio console, which was a concern of mine. I set the bottom of the"blue line" on the tach to represent 800RPM (7 o'clock position), and redline is the right at the upper end of the "red line" (1 o'clock position). The only numbers on the gauges are hidden in the speedo tick-marks. I've been running with my OBDLink, to verify the gauges, and to get used to the needle positions.

The AWD needle caps did not go with this set. I'll hold on to those for a rainy day (It's currently raining outside). I would love to find another set and have them anodized black. I'm also thinking of independent gauge rings. I'd love a set of RS Refine rings (anodized black as well). Things to look forward to, I guess.

Here is a night shot:

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

91BRG (05-06-2016),Agent☣Orange (07-28-2016),Bryan (04-08-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (05-05-2016),HarryB (05-05-2016),JamieH (05-05-2016),MiataQuest (07-28-2016),NCGreasemonkey (05-05-2016),oldgrayleather (08-11-2016),revlimiter (05-06-2016)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Those are really cool, Tony! Another awesome job by Adam. Congrats to both of you!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Amazing! And what a follow up to the TIE ones Adam posted a while back. Love how minimal they are, and the colour scheme is stunning! You have the same issue as I do; need to repaint the needles in a deeper red ;)

Oh, and love your idea on the rings; wanna do mine (as well as vent rings) anodized in black for that OEM+ look. Go on with it.

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    I realized how shitty my gauge hood is looking :/ maybe I can buff it with PlasticX until I find gauge rings and glass

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Those look aweaome, man, absolutely brilliant. And when ya get right down to it, once you know Miatas, about the only positions on the tach ya need to know are idle and redine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (05-05-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Exactly! Also, I love to run with my OBDLink on the windshield, so my exact numbers are in a better line of sight. I've re-skinned the OBDL gauges in a matching color scheme so it looks nice together.

Had a mobile guy detail the car, since he was working on a coworker's. He did a great job, other than putting greasy shit on the wheels. Next time I'll ask that he leave it off.

Started looking for a few things to get this AutoExe intake ready to install:

Neoprene edging to replace the worn, old stuff. McMaster #8507K15
    8mm black silicone vacuum hose to run from the valve cover to the intake: eBay
    Bracket for coolant tank: Might look better with an aftermarket tank, if I can find what I like.

Also time to bleed the clutch, tranny, diff, rebuild a shifter, change the TB/WP, fresh tires and look for other 100K related things.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-06-2016),JamieH (05-06-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    So, I'd LOVE to show you an installed pic of the intake. There's just a small problem, The hood will not open.

But why won't the hood open, Demon?

Easy answer, because my daily commute sucks:

Shit by Tony Driver, on Flickr

Damn by Tony Driver, on Flickr

Oof by Tony Driver, on Flickr

Apparently, I didn't learn my lesson from last year's misadventure with The Transitional (the totaled 2000) and look for something with ABS. Also, not having a job that requires two - hour bumper jam sessions per day. Oh, and some other lesson about increasing following distance, I think.

Doesn't look "too major" just a bump on the nose. Modern car bmpers are much higher than Miata front bumpers, even at stock height. No leaks, no overheating, not out of alignment. Accident was in under 20mph traffic, so I didn't lose the Passenger airbag.

She goes into the shop on Monday for estimates and appraisals. Wish us luck! Funny thing is that the shop will not accept my new-to-me Tuckin99 hood as a paint/install item. Because of their work guarantee, they are required to source all parts. I may at least have them paint the thing while the other parts are in the booth, if I can pay for that job separately. Then I guess I'd have a spare hood, in case I ever decided to go back to stock.
    Looking at those pics makes me want to polish and paint my headlight buckets whilst the car is apart.

So, yeah, about that hood. It came in a 5' * 5' * 6" box via freight. Needless to say, I had to borrow a truck to get it home. I un-boxed it, to check for damage, then immediately wished I hadn't, as it was a huge fight to get back into place.
    a7f4dc31-66e3-49a8-b53a-2fca16ee25b4.jpg

84928ff5-265f-43bf-a050-fb3402e3c46d.jpg

Oh, and about that intake. I DO have a pic. It's currently missing the silicon tubing from the VC to the intake box. I HOPE it was not damaged in the incident.

intake by Tony Driver, on Flickr

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    So, on to the mechanicals:

The car is almost at 102K right now. Time for lots of maintenance. Unfortunately, it is balls-hot, and my time has been eaten up with other extracurriculars (home shopping- hopefully at least a paved carport, if not a garage).

Need to source a complete timing belt kit. Looks like treasure-coast may be about the best deal. Any other recommendations?
    Tranny and diff fluids should be drained/replaced. Easy enough.
    Shifter boot needs a rebuild. That shifter gets scalding on my long-ass commute.
    Think my rear main seal needs a replacement too. Might just hold off on that until I need a clutch.
    Clutch fluid could use refreshing.

Biggest thing is to trace down this OBD2 code P2404 that keeps occurring. "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Range/Performance" -OBDLink

I've installed a fresh gas cap. From looking around, I think this is the next part to look at replacing:
    [IMG]Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Range/Performance[/IMG]

Hopefully, I still have this from Transitional's parts pile. Probably not, as I've done a lot of housekeeping. If not, I should be able to source one from a forum sponsor.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    http://prioritymazdaparts.com/ it's the same guy that ran Rosenthal's online parts sales.

R*speed or one of the forum sponsors may have comparable prices on the TB service.

Sorry to hear about your accident, that's some rotten luck!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Maybe this will help diagnose and pinpoint your emissions issue:

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/Mazda-M...ion_system.pdf

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (07-28-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Awesome! I know I had seen that before, but couldn't find it the second time around. Hopefully I can find the old car's pump, check the resistances and swap if needed.

Car needs to be inspected as well. After fixing the cel, of course.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-28-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Well, dropped Maddy off at the plastic (metal) surgeon's office yesterday. Hoping that everything's pretty simple to repair. If I have the time, I'll swing by for some update shots, although this week is personally going to be way too busy.

Did some rooting around and found every single part of the 2000's evap system, minus the leak detection pump, so I guess it's time to order one. Oh, well, at least I know I'll be installing a new part.

In related news: The rental place gave me an upgrade to a Ford Focus. Holy crap, this thing is nicely built. Interior is quiet and comfy. Great MPG (at the sacrifice of a little less power/automatic trans). My only complaint is that on occasion the tranny feels like it jutters/jerks on initial acceleration. Oh, and it feels like I'm driving a limo (compared to the Miata). WTF are back seats even for?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-01-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    I got my baby back!

This hood has pretty great fitment. Better than I was expecting.
    hood7 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

The vent is actually more forward than I thought it would be. Opens up right behind the fans.hood6 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

hood4 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

The vent shroud isn't as high as I thought as well:
    hood5 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

From some angles, pretty damn subtle:
    hood3 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (08-11-2016),HarryB (08-11-2016),JamieH (08-11-2016),Martin (08-10-2016),NCGreasemonkey (08-10-2016),oldgrayleather (08-11-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    The bumper is a little off-center on the Passenger side, but it'll be coming off pretty soon. I plan on blacking out the headlight buckets, and polishing the lenses, especially now that they are unevenly faded.

In all honestly the body shop I chose was not as great as I'd been told. it was a good spray, but I don't think they did enough prep. I'm not sure that I like the grill vents painted white, either. It doesn't look terrible, but I think it will look nicer blacked out. Also, their solution for the windshield wiper hosing really is stupid.

hood2 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

I'll figure something better out, just ran out of time today.

Also, I need to refinish the hood catch. it looks really out-of-place. I can hit the base plate with a wire wheel and some white paint, maybe some allen-head bolts.
    hood1 by Tony Driver, on Flickr

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

JamieH (08-11-2016),NCGreasemonkey (08-10-2016),oldgrayleather (08-11-2016)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast