Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice and Feedback for direction of development for latest roadster.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts

Advice and Feedback for direction of development for latest roadster.

OK Folks,

After a bit of advice and feedback on the direction for the latest roadster. I normally have a clear cut plan on a project direction but this one is a fairly blank canvas as yet to decide what to do.

It is a Japanese import 1993 Eunos Roadster S-Special imported to the UK in 2007. When it was imported it looked good as can be seen here.

However by the time I got it the wheels, exhaust system had all gone leaving me with a pretty standard black roadster but with the T-House Clubman GT front bumper.

I have already fitted the spare Alterna Racing trunk lid I have as it came with the curvy style rear Mazda spoiler from this era I don't link.

So plans and some advice please.

My initial thoughts...

1. I am thinking a genuine Mazda front lip spoiler to go on the front bumper.
    2. It needs lowering.
    3. Needs a nice exhaust.
    4. It needs a full respray.
    5. It needs a nice set of wheels.

A car that inspired me to purchase this car was

Wheel wise at the moment I have seen these for sale locally to me. Anyone think these wheels will work or wait for something else?

SSR Reverse Mesh 4x100 15x7 ET26.

SSR MK1 15x8 ET22 and 15x7 ET27. Downside is they have been re-drilled.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

Idling - Listen to it purr... tazman34685's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have been told that gold rims on a mx-5 would be over dressing it and taking away from the classic era . I have to rethink that now having seen the first picture of your project followed by the rim selection you would be best served to pick the gold mesh if possible cause they would look just as great and would to the roadster era look

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanks. I think black roadsters with bronze/gold wheels work well. Price wise the SSR MK1 wheels are usd1000 while the Reverse mesh are around usd1200. Both have pretty much new tyres on, SSR MK1s include the spigot rings and centring wheel nuts. I have SSR MK1 on my corns car in 13' so seems boring to get the same again and not sure if 15' suits them as well or that re-drilled wheels will sell that easily if I get bored of them.

other options is to wait till something nice comes up in Japan or locally like some 14' type b watanabes, SSR MK2' star sharks, etc.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    How about gold CR-01s.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (10-19-2015)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Hi Andy, hope your enjoying India. I will drop you a message. Cheers james.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    I can't believe you picked up another MX5!! I'm guessing that you have a space big enough to fit them all in.

I think you should definitely stay with 14's, most likely Watanabe type B's. Maybe another center exit exhaust like the Zoom Engineering one and a Zoom headlight lid.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willywongka For This Useful Post:

Madaboutmx5s (10-19-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Personally, I'm a fan of 14's or smaller on NA's and having the same dilemma landing on what dream wheels I need to find for Benny while the gold RPF1's tide me over. Do Star Sharks come up in the UK all that often? I think I've read that besides Revlimiter, fwdtamiya and bogaut that there aren't really many more sets stateside.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Madaboutmx5s (10-19-2015)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    I can't believe you picked up another MX5!! I'm guessing that you have a space big enough to fit them all in.

I think you should definitely stay with 14's, most likely Watanabe type B's. Maybe another center exit exhaust like the Zoom Engineering one and a Zoom headlight lid.
    'Man maths' forced my hand on this one. The car has the super rare T-House Clubman front bumper like the Corns roadster but whilst paint is shabby as hell the actual car is very solid and only 68000 miles. It was quite cheap too which play a part! Whilst the corns is quite wild I'd often thought the clubman suits a more basic subtle look. I was thinking of taking the bumper for my red mk1 and then selling the car but that seems a shame.

Yeah ideally 14s would be best. However I think the split rims like Roadsternut's wheels or those SSR mesh work well in 15'. I'd hand concerns on the SSR MK1s as they had been re-drilled and whilst I like them on my corns car with the chunky tyres as they are 13' I think they look to big in 15' on a mk1 mx5.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Proyea View Post
    Personally, I'm a fan of 14's or smaller on NA's and having the same dilemma landing on what dream wheels I need to find for Benny while the gold RPF1's tide me over. Do Star Sharks come up in the UK all that often? I think I've read that besides Revlimiter, fwdtamiya and bogaut that there aren't really many more sets stateside.
    I think you are right. 15' are the max on a mk1 mx5 but I like 14' or the 13' wheels like on my red and white roadsters. I've not seen a set of star sharks in 4x100 here in the UK.

All being well I think I will buy Roadsternut's wheels if they come up as not owned a set of cr-01's before, always liked them, seen them on a few Japanese car classics, etc.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CarbonMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 red Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have no doubt you will transform this one in another one-of-my-favorites Mx-5!!!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I like the the work wheels in Roadsternuts picture a lot, but also like bronze or gold wats rs8 or SSR fins with gold centers. Needs a classic wheel though whatever you choose, how is the interior on this one? Keeping it red or going black or tan maybe??

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonMiata View Post
    I have no doubt you will transform this one in another one-of-my-favorites Mx-5!!!
    Hi Marc, long time no speak! I hope you are keeping well since you popped round my house? I was wondering recently what you have been up to and checked on Facebook. I like some of the new products like the new NA front bonnet similar to the RE Amemiya bonnet I had on my old FD RX7. Since I saw you earlier in the head the roadsters have been multiplying and from it has increased to 6! Cheers James.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I like the the work wheels in Roadsternuts picture a lot, but also like bronze or gold wats rs8 or SSR fins with gold centers. Needs a classic wheel though whatever you choose, how is the interior on this one? Keeping it red or going black or tan maybe??
    Ho Randy, hope all is good with you? I liked your post on Facebook with the seats. Roadsternut's wheels are nice. I'm interested in those. As you say it needs a classic JDM wheel. When I first saw this black roadster back in 2007 after it was imported and shown on 'mx5nutz' I didn't know the JDM market as well then and just thought what a cool car. It's a shame in the intervening years its lost most of the JDM parts.

Interior in this one will stay black as the basis of the car is a JDM 'S Special" model so has the Nardi wheel, stainless steel speak kick plates, etc. I've a pair of good condition early Bride bucket seats (cannot remember name offhand but would be I guess the right generation for a mk1 roadster). I was keeping them back as don't have a car for them right now but may put in this or may just leave with a nice clean stock interior.

In the UK the government has just launched a new site for checking the annual inspection test on cars. It helps to correlate mileage, any failures and why (rust, etc). This car has only done 68000 miles and checking last night it seems to have been off the road for 3 or 4 years, which explains the low mileage and why the shell is solid as not been used regularly on UK roads.

Cheers

james.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (10-21-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 91BRG's Avatar
    Drives
    91BRG
    Thanks Given
    hey james, very nice find you got there;) imho... do whatever you haven't done before. seems like you have owned quite a few MX5s, so really maybe try some mods you haven't tried before. I mean, we all know Miata is the best car for aftermarket... so why get same shit twice, nammsaying? So if you haven't done 14s before with 185/60 tires, do that, if you've never had red interior before... go for that. yknow, well anything works really we all trust your judgement here in mods you are obviously a classy lad with top taste.

some other shit you gotta consider... hardtop or soft top? if soft top what color soft top? yknow gold wheels would look good with a tan soft top + tan interior too. but why go tan, why not a red soft top + red or black interior? this is your blank canvas and you are the artist so pour your vision into it!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I think the gold wheels would look sweet on that car.

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by 91BRG View Post
    hey james, very nice find you got there;) imho... do whatever you haven't done before. seems like you have owned quite a few MX5s, so really maybe try some mods you haven't tried before. I mean, we all know Miata is the best car for aftermarket... so why get same shit twice, nammsaying? So if you haven't done 14s before with 185/60 tires, do that, if you've never had red interior before... go for that. yknow, well anything works really we all trust your judgement here in mods you are obviously a classy lad with top taste.

some other shit you gotta consider... hardtop or soft top? if soft top what color soft top? yknow gold wheels would look good with a tan soft top + tan interior too. but why go tan, why not a red soft top + red or black interior? this is your blank canvas and you are the artist so pour your vision into it!
    Hello mate, yeah I tend to agree with you as had been in the back of my mind. Won't be wide arched and it won't have any wheels I've got at the moment as had thought watanabes or hayashis at one stage as they go well but boring to do the same again.

Thanks for the ideas, lots to consider. It will be a slow project but my initial thoughts are get a decent set of wheels on it, fit a Mazda mk1 front lip spoiler plus get it serviced as not sure when it was last done though timing belt and water pump were done just before I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I think the gold wheels would look sweet on that car.
    Agree. I think gold/bonze wheels will work.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Your red car is pretty cool, and I think the cool parts from that one should go to this one, then you can sell the red one.

The exhaust, the zoom mirrors (paint them black), stock front lip and the Hayashi wheels would all look great on this.

Or install the clubman nose on the red car and sell the black car.
    Last edited by Vegard; 10-23-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast