Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Oh my, this looks even better than I would have imagined. Lost for words.
    Thanks Harry, never expected to be this pleased with the outcome. A true testament to Adam’s magic.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Simply beautiful. Great work.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-16-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Absolutely gorgeous!! Personally I like the all silver gauge panel and would like to see what it would look like with the silver small gauge covers and silver needle caps.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-16-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous!! Personally I like the all silver gauge panel and would like to see what it would look like with the silver small gauge covers and silver needle caps.
    Thanks! I actually tried that combo but for some reason didn’t take pictures of all the combos. Haha

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Interesting that both of these were NA so it seems the longer stems aren't an NB only thing...
    Not sure but during the install I seemed that both the screws and the stem of the needle cap were longer on the Speedometer. Hmmm...

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Looks incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-17-2018)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Red 1990 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Just wow! This is actually the first time I like the silver/black panel - had not thought that would ever happen. Really love where this project is going!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Belgarath For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-20-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The in-laws came to visit and kindly offered to mind the house (can't use the word babysitting with a 17 year old in residence) offering Mrs. R and I a chance to get away on our own. After going on and on about how incredible the roadtrip to MRLS was for a couple years I may have finally gotten the hint it was something we should do together so off we went to our first stop at Pismo beach.

The next morning we made our way to Morro Bay and then on to Carmel. I didn’t manage to convince her to take a Miata as 800 miles of top-down driving was likely going to be too noisy with no break from the sun but staying off the motorways to enjoy the windy back roads was fantastic.

Carmel and the 17 mile drive never disappoint

On our way back we stopped in Santa Barbara for a night and then got back in time to ensure I didn’t have to miss KINOD’s 12th anniversary.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-28-2018),HarryB (06-28-2018),JamieH (06-28-2018),Roadster7 (06-28-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    KINOD’s been moving around since the police clamped down on the City of Industry which has actually been kinda fun. Its atleast got me out exploring parts of SoCal that I didn’t even know existed. Café86 was the spot for the Silk anniversary and typically a few of us meet for dinner early. Friday afternoon traffic meant the 55 mile trek was going to be almost two hours (ended up being 1h35) so sadly that meant the rest of the family opted out which meant it would just be Benny, my co-pilot and I.

Since a lot of people don’t show up regularly I spent almost the whole time catching up with tons of people I hadn’t seen in ages and checking out the cars. I did a terrible job of taking pics but managed to get a couple.

Willner’s new FD with Bluejay and those delightful sounding ITB’s heading out

Fantastic to see Regis’ MSM back up and running and man, the smile on his face said it all.

@lmphotoss stunning BRG, or atleast part of it..

He also kindly took a pic of Benny since I didn’t get any…

… except fueling up after the drive home.

So many great roadsters and fantastic people all in one spot. I really do love our crazy little Miata tribe.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-28-2018),JamieH (06-28-2018),Roadster7 (06-28-2018),Slampen (06-29-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Excellent pictures Pete!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-29-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Can’t believe it’s been a month since I’ve posted – July was super busy but also a bloody tough month.

Discovering “small vehicle parking” near the beach was great for helping deal with the summer influx of tourists and congestion since typically its impossible to find a spot during the summer months.

The best way to deal with the seasonal crush in fact was a trip of our own. We took a family holiday back to New Brunswick on Canada’s East coast where my parents have had a cottage since 1973. Despite all the moves growing up it was one place we typically spent our summers and to reconnect with family. My parents were there and my best friend from college rented a cottage nearby with his family. The plan was for total decompression since there’s not much more to do than visit while soaking up amazing views, walking the sandbars and enjoying the fresh seafood….

I brought a BNIB (brand new in bag ;) HyperRev I’d been saving for such an occasion.

Love reading through these and always discover something new. First time I’d seen that someone made a Cosmo conversion for the NA.

While we were away I used the opportunity to have Integrated Performance install the QMax coolant reroute from SuperMiata along with a Flyin Miata cross-flow radiator, stage 1 fan kit and an upgrade to the electrics so both fans run all the time. This was work I always intended to do myself but sadly time is still my least plentiful resource. Was funny to see Benny on the lift in one of their Instagram posts but great to come back to a clean job as always.

I was looking at SuperMiata's set-up since I love supporting local businesses but with some honest back and forth with them decided a larger rad/ upgraded fans was better suited to my intended usage. This is what they’d said…

“On track, and with proper ducting, our radiator provides plenty of cooling capacity and is several pounds lighter, as well as less expensive. We typically delete the AC fan and only use one OEM fan in our racecars, even the turbocharged ones.

For a street car in traffic, or with poor airflow management; AC, no ducting, no hood vents, a larger radiator and upgraded fans might be prudent.”

The car is now idling very smoothly and for some reason it *feels* like AC doesn’t sap the power as much as it used to.

Speaking of local businesses, have been loving the opportunity to support CarMakeCorns US branch (and KINOD regular) and the continued collaborations with SpiritRoad who we’ve also managed to get into being a KINOD regular with his beautiful NA and its growing list of parts from Corns, Maruha’s catalogue, etc.

In other community news, Roadster7 ever so generously sent off a few Okamoto SafetyDrive stickers he had made closer to the larger format size seen on many a classic Japanese Racer. Can’t wait to get these on Benny, just trying to decide if they should go on the lower rocker in front of the rear wheels or just behind the fronts.

And Paulo had a collection of RoyalClover keys for sale though I knew I definitely didn’t need any more… until I saw the back of a different kind of Queen key that was actually a 1987 Canadian penny. It arrived quickly thanks to France’s La Poste…

JCCS just posted about the upcoming annual show down at the Queen Mary and I was humbled that they featured two of our Miati along with Willis’ stunning Roadster. Sadly they are running it on top of Laguna Seca so this will be the first time I miss out on JCCS though with only five weeks to go, starting to get excited about our imminent pilgrimage.

Sadly we’re back in Canada for my brother-in-law’s memorial service later today. On July 28th he finally lost a six month battle against Lymphoma but was surrounded by family over his final days. I’m really thankful Jen was able to be there with him a few times over the last months. Unsurprisingly this has brought back a lot of emotions from losing Dan along with all the new one’s Mrs. R and her whole family are experiencing. Its so sad to see cancer yet again take someone prematurely and particularly heart breaking for his wife and their three year old daughter. Now the focus will be on how we can all come together to help each other with the healing.

Before heading back to Canada for this trip, we took the opportunity to clean up the cars so they’d be nice and shiny when we returned home. I think the top down drives with Jen have been really good for the soul and will continue to provide a welcomed escape.

Last edited by oldgrayleather; 08-12-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: 949 edits (:

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (08-11-2018),Cermivelli (08-11-2018),dweikum (08-11-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (08-11-2018),HarryB (08-13-2018),JamieH (08-11-2018),MiataQuest (08-11-2018),MLambert19 (08-11-2018),Phatmiata (08-12-2018),Roadster7 (08-11-2018)

Drives
    30AE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    .. Integrated Performance install the QMax coolant reroute from 949 along with a Flyin Miata cross-flow radiator, stage 1 fan kit.
    Supermiata Qmax. Notice the laser etched logo?

Nice car

As you were

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by 949 Racing View Post
    Supermiata Qmax. Notice the laser etched logo?

Nice car

As you were
    Edited and think I now understand... 949 Racing is now just the 6UL's and cars you race, SuperMiata is all the other products. Won't make that mistake again.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (08-13-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Great updates as always Peter! I would vote just the front fenders for the sticker.

BTW the Cosmo-style conversion is a NB as far as I know (note the door/side line). Outside is nice but the interior is hideous.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-28-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    With MRLS just a few weeks away really looking forward to having some meaningful updates.. the KINOD convoy, reconnecting with fellow enthusiasts along with meeting new ones and the amazing Roadster love several hundred cars and nuts can have when all brought together. That said the interim update doesn’t hold much but cataloging for my own records…

It’s always a splendid day when an EMS package arrives from Japan

Especially when it takes advantage of Buyee’s consolidation option. Shipping can be cost prohibitive for single items but if you can coordinate and make use of their 30 day storage policy it can save some significant ¥¥¥

A collection of post cards that I have a plan as part of adding some more Roadster inspiration in the garage…

A set of what I believe are likely Nakamae window cranks – as much as I like the Carbon Miata aluminum cranks these are close to the M2 design that had such a heavy influence on my initial ideas for where I wanted to go with this build.

A Nielex exhaust trim

And a Eunos 5310 bag for some storage behind the seats

As I’d noted before, Roadster7’s custom Okamoto Rubber Manufacturing Company was destined to finally find their place on the car. Harry, I did truly appreciate the vote but after some test placement landed on the rear rockers and am really happy with the result…

At KINOD on Friday Circuit Sports showed up with a custom run we convinced them to do for a coolant reservoir tanks etched with the logo as well as the “boyfriends against cancer” tribute to Marco on the cap. Tommy and Peter from CS hand delivered and since I brought my 10mm socket with an extension we didn’t waste any time installing it on the spot.

Rounded out the weekend with a drive to the beach so Mrs. R to get the dog out for a walk before real life again set in…

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Cermivelli (08-28-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (08-28-2018),HarryB (08-28-2018),JamieH (08-28-2018),MX5Wisher (08-28-2018),Phatmiata (08-29-2018),Roadster7 (08-28-2018),speedypenguin (08-29-2018)

Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast