No todo que es oro brilla.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (02-08-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    I finally received my leatherwrapped joyfast from DarylSibcy. He shipped it mid November and we both presumed it missing. It arrived mid-January and the package was labeled by Royal Post noting that based on contents it required "ground freight only" so guessing it went by boat.

I love the weight, shape and size of the joyfast but my polished one was often too hot/ cold depending on the weather. I like the leather but think the polished one suits the car better. The stitching also doesn't line-up perfectly which I'd need to sort out if I stick with it. Will have to see.

Also from the UK I received a very specifically sized package...

Part of my commitment to turn some much needed attention to what's under the bonnet along with a pretty powdercoated valve cover I got from Ryoku Rob.

The true highlight of the year so far was getting an image from Tomio at CarMakeCorns from the latest issue of RoadsterBros (#13) which had an expose on MRLS. He'd taken a pic of a specific page that featured Bo and my roadsters!

I'd pre-ordered my copy from amazon.co.jp and it was at home that night. Gotta say, totally blown away to see my car in print especially in a Japanese publication.
    Last edited by oldgrayleather; 02-08-2018 at 03:52 AM.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-07-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (02-08-2018),HarryB (02-08-2018),JamieH (02-09-2018),lowandrusty (02-10-2018),MX5Wisher (02-07-2018),Phatmiata (02-08-2018),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),speedypenguin (02-08-2018),ueru (02-19-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    That Roll bar needs a Blue MazdaRoadster Sticker hahahahaha
    Phat, are you clairvoyant or something?! Just checked the mail and the swanky Nielex handbrake handle and button were in the mail along with a ??? you guessed it. A blue MR.net decal (well and a red and grey one.. and a HotWheels ND). Hmmm, looks almost rollbar sized.

The sign behind came from Kadin who's set up CarMakeCorns USA and has helped with a few choice goodies like the tan Nakamae cupholder the BRG needed (no pics) and the knee pad/ phone holder I've been testing out. Works at full tilt and unnoticeable otherwise. The Nakamae mesh panel I used to have there fits perfectly between the two seats.

Oh and yesterday? Eldest son texted me to ask where my 27mm socket was. A schoolmate had picked up his second NA (first one was totaled) and needed help replacing his steering wheel with a Nardi and hub he'd got. Since we'd done a couple already sounds like it was easy peasy. And so it begins...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-19-2018),HarryB (02-08-2018),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),speedypenguin (02-08-2018),ueru (02-19-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power druz's Avatar
    Drives
    Signal Orange '89 V8
    Thanks Given
    Benny is on the way to legendary status, if it hasn't reached there already,. Nice job Pete!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to druz For This Useful Post:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by druz View Post
    Benny is on the way to legendary status, if it hasn't reached there already,. Nice job Pete!
    Wow Drew,... kinda speechless and deeply flattered. I don’t think Benny will ever be legendary. That term for me is reserved for the likes of Sharka, Rooster, the Blue Potato, Scrat among others. Cars that have been an inspiration for me along with Mike Gaite’s, Willis’, Garret’s, Woolery’s, Randy’s, the RDB guys and on and on. And yours was what gave me absolute conviction for flares and wide Sharks. I wouldn’t have learned about any of those builds without MR.net and KINOD’s help.

As a lifelong petrolhead that had never turned a wrench or considered a mod, the Miata community has given me ideas to explore and enjoy this perfect platform.

Looking forward to the next time we meet.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    .........Is there a way to tell the Hayashi's apart from the IL Sport rip-offs?
    I don't believe there is any difference since it was a direct mould from Hayashi.

I will post the photo of mine once I locate them, if you want to post up a photo of yours and maybe we can compare the two, but again, I don't think there is a difference

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I don't believe there is any difference since it was a direct mould from Hayashi.

I will post the photo of mine once I locate them, if you want to post up a photo of yours and maybe we can compare the two, but again, I don't think there is a difference
    I wasn’t sure as the il ad said satin finish so thought theirs might have not been so shiny. Will post more detailed pics next time I take them out.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    So yesterday many thanks were given reflecting on the past year and beyond. Truth be told, a killer turkey induced coma kept me from posting earlier but I was thinking about a lot of you throughout the day.

I am very thankful for the expanded collection of Miati with all their enhancements and the sheer joy they bring to our family.
    (I am thankful too that by getting Mrs. R and son #1 hooked, they can understand and share in my passion.. will never forget Jen supporting the fact I " needed" to get the sharks because it was possible I wouldn't ever find another set)
    I'm thankful for all the years I had with my brother Dan and that this tribute to him has had such a positive and unexpected impact on my life while serving as a constant reminder of all the wonderful memories we had together. He is and always will be my co-pilot.
    I'm thankful for the incredible community surrounding our cars. Our crazy little tribe. And especially that this year laid down more exceptional memories and experiences together, connecting faces to names to the cars I've know from MR.net. I really have made some incredible friendships from here and at KINOD and the many people I've met at MRLS, JCCS and beyond.

I'm also thankful that as part of Thanksgiving it was a given I would be enjoying some time in the garage. I'd read a ton of posts exuding the pros and cons of strut bars. Some of the best track pilots I've known see no point so I was convinced there was no need. Perhaps a way to reduce some NVH at best but possible merely a vanity item. But what pretty items they are (and I did say it was time to turn my attention to some of the things under the hood). It also just so happened a local nut was clearing out some of his parts so I couldn't resist helping his efforts so relieved him of a Carbing front and rear strut bar.

The rear, particularly driver side, were a lot harder to get in than I expected. It helped a ton to separate the risers from the cross bar but the lack of space and ease of which I found myself dropping the suspension nuts into that one little crevice they fit in so perfectly. You know the one? The one that's completely out of reach? Yeah, that one. Eventually I got it in and as usual am sure I could do it in half the time if I had to again. The front was a lot easier...

I also removed my roundels. I loved them but at 14" they were too small and to be honest, I didn't install them as well as I'd liked so they were removed...

But they were replaced with 20" circles that I think are perfect. They were an unexpected gift from a dear friend who knew as well as I did that they were too diminutive. A spray bottle with a couple drops of soap worked wonders.

To cap off this wondrous holiday of thanks, Mrs. R this morning asked when we were going to go for a drive so I could see if the bars had any impact on how the car felt. So off we went up to Palos Verdes, down to San Pedro and then back up on the clear freeway. Still has the 65mph shimmy but placebo effect or not it did feel more planted. If I'm unsure I can just pop the hood and look at the pretty shiny-ness of it all and feel just fine. KINOD Black Friday edition was the best way to end a day of fresh air and staying far far away from the madness in the shops...
    You make me miss my roundels!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Rodriguez For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (02-23-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Friday night I took the Mrs' Sunburst to KINOD since it hasn't been out to stretch its legs for a while. Still only 43k miles which is just 5k since it became ours nearly three years ago!

Since she still wants to keep it 100% stock I had Jeff Anderson overhaul the stereo deck to fix the cassette deck, add an aux and get a bit more power out of it. A couple months ago after going over a small bump the stereo stopped working only to repair itself after going over another bump. Then last weekend it just stopped. I took it out and tried to clean the connectors with an eraser but not luck. The only downside of the KINOD trip was the lack of music. Not sure what to try next - any su/ggestions?

I suppose without any music it did give me more time and less distractions to appreciate how these cars were without any modifications. Lots more body roll, much more compliant suspension, no scraping on anything. Stock interior was so well thought out. Evreything just works, the seats are comfortable and green glow from all the lights really is pleasant. All in all a much more relaxed late night drive on the freeways.

Since KINOD isn't at Krispy Kreme anymore I decided to swing by and get a dozen donuts for whoever might join...

The turnouts seem to be getting larger pretty regularly and its always nice to welcome new people.

I also got half a dozen the family the next morning. Thankfully my trusty co-pilot knows better than to even consider tampering with people food.

For all of you suffering through winter we've just been suffering through two days of it here... 57 degrees and rain!

Well, we are truly spoiled on the weather front. It turned out to be a great excuse to put on some warm clothes, update the thread and then to curl up with some of the new Road&sters I haven't yet touched.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-11-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (03-11-2018),JamieH (03-15-2018),Phatmiata (03-12-2018),Roadster7 (03-11-2018),speedypenguin (03-11-2018),ueru (03-16-2018)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given

Those star sharks have good looking lips. I like how aggressive they look. And awesome collection of Roadster magazines and goodies!
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

18. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-12-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The suspension on Berg is awful so have been thinking about what to do to fix that problem. Xidas so completely transformed the smurf.. but at a cost. I've been talking myself into the need to make a decision knowing that with Spring break coming up, eldest son will have more time to get involved with the swap. The good news was Xidas were out of stock. The bad news was that 949 told me they were receiving a delivery this week. The temptation.. soo strong. Then yesterday on a SoCal Miata FB group a guy posted a minty set of 550/ 350 for sale with the helper springs. Pretty much the exact set-up except for the NB style mounts vs the Billet Coaxials. They'd only seen 3,500 miles, no track time and offered a significant savings. Must have been a sign...

Last night I confirmed that I wanted them and Ray kindly met me at the Santa Monica DMV parking lot so I could nip out over lunch. Everything checked out as expected.. they actually didn't look like they'd even been installed. We talked Miati for a while, exchanged some cash and boxes and I was on my way. Probably the first and last time I'll ever have a positive association with being at the DMV.

On the way home, this all white NA was in front of me. Hadn't seen a white convertible top before. If it didn't discolor so much could be the ultimate Smurf mod, right? Then again, suppose at my age the Papa Smurf thing is probably more fitting but a red top just isn't going to happen (after the experiment with stripes I think I'll forever stay away from red on the outside - haha).

So now need to empty out the garage, order some sway bars and end links and get this project started. Don't know if I'm more excited about the prospects of tackling this with my son or seeing how much it improves the driving experience for Berg.

Truly feeling blessed. Today? Today is a great day!

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (03-15-2018),HarryB (03-18-2018),JamieH (03-15-2018),MiataQuest (03-15-2018),MX5Wisher (03-15-2018),Paul B (03-16-2018),Phatmiata (03-16-2018),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),RustRat (03-15-2018),speedypenguin (03-15-2018),Thejohnson (03-16-2018),ueru (03-16-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Dat front bumper.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (03-15-2018),oldgrayleather (03-15-2018)

Idling - Listen to it purr... Thejohnson's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 91
    Thanks Given
    dem Xidas.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Thejohnson For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (03-16-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I have the same Xidas. I had them on my NA and transferred them to my NB. They are amazing in all driving conditions. The best way I can describe them in daily driving conditions is "elegant". On the track, they shine. It's going to ruin your driving impressions of other Miatas without them. ;)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-08-2018),oldgrayleather (03-16-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I took Friday off to help with youngest son's 11th birthday in our backyard before the weekend could take on its more normal course. Friday night KINOD is always so very good for my soul…

… and that of my trusty co-pilot:

It was great that a fabled car I’ve heard the OG speak of showed up to make a surprise appearance.. always great to see other people’s work in person

Not unusually, time got away on me and again it was after 12:30 before I was headed home.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-08-2018),JamieH (04-02-2018),Phatmiata (04-02-2018),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),ueru (04-08-2018)

Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast