Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

LIKE THIS THREAD!

Supporting Member oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by artcentermiata View Post
    All three cars look amazing- all the rares!

Quote Originally Posted by artcentermiata View Post
    Ditch the stripes, you know what I think- Im disappointed
    I started with vinyl stripes so I could figure it out - I have to see this through with the wider navy stripes, the new front end and covering the hardtop/ A pillar and rest of the rear bumper. I'm not 100% sold but its fun for a change and it differentiates Benny from JonB's doppleganger smurf ;)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Yesterday would have been Dan's 53rd birthday which among other milestones serves as a poignant reminder of how much I miss him. It's also the three year anniversary of our incredible car fueled So Cal adventure celebrating his half-century.

When he first called to tell me about his diagnosis he was almost immediately admitted to hospital so we sent him a care package with some favorite movies and things he'd like until I could get up there to see him. He saved the Big Lebowski so we could watch it together on one of my trips. Will never forget my wife and another great friend Reid all crammed into his hospital room laughing our asses off. I also made a photo book for him of our celebration and titled it "Cars, Coffee and California".

I'm so thankful he was the inspiration for me to get a Miata especially when I reflect on what I've gotten out of this experience, the people I'm met and the things I've done. I know he would have loved Benny and KINOD and MRLS and Palooza and Mazda R&D and this community. I always think there's a part of him that's co-piloting with me on this journey.

I don't think I'd seen this fantastic photo that my nephew posted yesterday.

He really was the greatest.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-24-2017),artcentermiata (06-23-2017),fwdtamiya (06-24-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (06-24-2017),HarryB (06-23-2017),Paul B (06-23-2017),revlimiter (07-14-2017),RustRat (06-23-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Mazda Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 736 Posts
    Really fantastic updates on the trio of Roadsters, Pete! It is so much 'easier to forget' those that have inspired us and touched our lives but no longer with us to share in the joys of life so it is always heart warming to see people that constantly remind themselves of those unforgettable individuals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (06-26-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Have been holding off on this post for a little while so Adam could properly announce and showcase the exceptional results of his Gen 3 gauges. RevLimiter gauges were both the first mod I did to Benny (or any car for that matter) as well as probably my favorite. Needle position change is subtle but I love the sweep of the tach particularly and they’re something you enjoy on every single drive. For the BRG, the Fighter gauges were the perfect choice so the order went in the moment I knew I could get the latest version.

Opening a UPS package from Adam is like opening the best presents under the Christmas tree.

Since I let my eldest drive the BRG I couldn’t think of a better project for him to tackle. I was on standby for any advice but let him do it on his own…

And out!

Old gauges off.

Fighters at the ready…

Wasn’t surprised again when the hood fasteners snapped so just looking at it as a great excuse to order a new one since the original was also in pretty rough shape.

And voila.. before and after:

I am beyond thrilled. They are perfect! I’m going to repeat myself but Adam is the best when it comes to his relentless pursuit of perfection for product quality and as many of you know first-hand, has an unrivaled approach to customer service. With Gen3, RevLimiter knocks it out of the park. Again.

While we were at it, got the BRG up on stands to finally get the self-tapping screws in for the R lip…

And the trio reassembled.

Right now I’m just waiting on all the other new parts to be made or arrive from Japan to get Benny moved on to the next stage. Pretty happy just enjoying the hell out of the fantastic weather, the chance for long drives and these awesome little cars…

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-14-2017),HarryB (07-16-2017),JamieH (07-14-2017),MiataQuest (07-14-2017),Paul B (07-14-2017),revlimiter (07-14-2017),RustRat (07-14-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Mazda Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 736 Posts
    The first Gen3 gauges in the wild! They look fantastic, great choice Pete! Need some night pics of the gauges.....

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Since I’ve been dailying Benny I swung by the car wash on Friday to get a week’s worth of grime off before heading out to another great KINOD meet and then home again by 1-ish. I’m sorry my potato and its operator can’t take night shots as I’ve missed out on too many great KINOD photo ops but will be upgrading my phone this fall so expect a remedy then.

Saturday morning and he was still respectable with another 100miles under his belt. I received the additional red vinyl so I could stripe the hardtop, A pillar, spoiler and rest of the bumper but just didn't have the time to get around to it. Also got another set of the blue stripes but in Navy and a wider width. I have to see this through to really decide if its everything I imagined it could be or just not the greatest idea.

The best thing about having this trio is being able to experiment a bit more, well atleast between the BRG and Benny. Mrs. R is still adamant that we can’t mess with her minty Sunburst. I do appreciate having a 100% stock car to compare against both in looks and driveability. The stock cars are still a blast to drive even before any enhancements.

Managed to get out with my eldest and Frodo for a spin in between a weekend of hosting family that had come for a visit…

And no better way to wind down a weekend than a late Sunday night washup for the other two that were in need of some TLC.

In other news, Bo’s container from Japan has finally arrived so fingers tightly crossed that my parts will be wrapped up and shipped to SoCal very soon...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-17-2017),HarryB (07-17-2017),JamieH (07-17-2017),Paul B (07-17-2017)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213