Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Do I even need to blog from my own perspective?? That was outstanding.

I wanna go back.

I better write some blogs...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (10-20-2017)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Now you’re committed. I wish I were there.

No todo que es oro brilla.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (10-21-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Great write-up, Pete! Fantastic meeting you and Benny, we will have to do this again! I will definitely be at MRLS next year, and will try my best to go to JCCS too!
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (10-21-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    I second that, thanks for a great write up. It was like I was there.

Now I need to figure out an angle to convince the wife that SHE wants to go to MRLS next year.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (10-21-2017),oldgrayleather (10-21-2017)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    awesome pics!! love the idea of TM signing a model car too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (10-23-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    One of the inevitabilities of experiencing something like MRLS is being exposed to exceptional parts that you've only perhaps heard of.. possibly seen a few pixelated jpeg's of but never seen. Touched. Experienced.

So today. Today was a very special day. Spectacular in fact. Every one of the stainless steel bolts for my Carbon Miata flares had rusted but Marc immediately expedited replacements to me flagging his concern that an oversight must have happened from his supplier. So I started by replacing all the rusted bolts in my flares and rear spoiler. Quick and incredibly satisfying in equal measure. I also swapped out the blue bulbs in my Barchetta bumper driving lights for standard bulbs that would have a more yellow/ incandescent look. Then the vacuum cleaner came out for a heavy duty scrub up of the interior. And then. And only then Benny was finally ready.

You see, I had the opportunity to really examine Adam's (Rev) Falcon wheel when he was west coasted for our convoy to mecca. Finally I understood why he and many others had an unnatural obsession with RS Watanabe's limited run of steering wheels. Truth be told, when I discovered Adam's blog the one thing I never really got was why he had a collection of steering wheels. I mean, you find one you really like and then you put it on. And drive with it. And enjoy the hell out of it. Why-ever would you have several? Would you swap them out regularly? It's not like a t-shirt is it?! (Damn, I now have two minty OEM wheels that for some reason I can't part with. A wooden Nardi that looks exceptional, is great for slow cruises with it's 360mm diameter but horrible on track when it gets slippery. A 350mm Momo Prototipo that has been a mainstay. And a 330mm Nardi leather wheel for the BRG).

So acknowledging my surprise, delight and adulation of his Falcon after perhaps too much fondling, Adam let me know that he had some connections. That there were other Watanabe's out in the wild. And some that might even be coerced out of their custodians grasps. Ouff. There was a catch. Crazy money would be required if I wanted an original box. Thankfully no need, I am not a collector, nor speculator, nor hoarder. A horn button and ring would also add top dollar. But someone may have noted that they had the capability to provide a workable alternative. Hnnnnnggg

So then one magical day I came home to a massive box from EMS (also fueled by MRLS inspiration.. more on that later) and a large, square, flat box...

This. This had actually happened.

Very shortly after this also happened

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! For those of you that know, you know. Adam's artistry, craftsmanship and attention to detail is second to none. He had produced a seductively nearly pearlescent horn button. And a horn ring modeled after the one that originally came with the wheel. Again, Fffffffffffffffffff!

I love my Prototipo. Especially with the custom Safety Drive horn button Adam crafted for it and the BRG's Nardi (seemed like the responsible father thing to do for a car his 17, going on 25, year old son was mostly piloting)

It was perfect to me for the interior. Loved the fact the red tied in to Rev's lighter cover of the vintage Mazda 'm'.

But this? This is at an altogether different level. In all honesty it has to be held to be understood.

It's 340mm which is perfect. The shape of the wheel contours to your hand's natural grip position. There are even divots for your thumb at the 3 and 9 position!

Once installed I took Mrs. R for a drive up to Palos Verdes so she could enjoy the spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island while I could soak up the feel of this wheel. The perfection of this wheel with its patina and all. The occasional glance at that gleaming horn button and ring. It had actually happened. I finally had the absolutely perfect physical connection with Benny. The diameter? Perfection. The extra millimeters that placed my fingers within perfect reach to the turn signal stalk. The contours. The thumbs rests. Everything. And that horn button. The shiny. The perfect. I had to share with Adam first but this was my next stop...

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (11-04-2017),JamieH (11-04-2017),MiataQuest (11-25-2017),MX5Wisher (11-05-2017),Phatmiata (11-11-2017),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),RustRat (11-05-2017),speedypenguin (11-05-2017),tsingson (11-07-2017),ueru (11-09-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Phenomenal!

The right patina, and amout of it, makes the right parts even better. I'm of the opinion that a car should look as nice as possible yet still show signs of it's use and enjoyment. A little fading here, a light scratch there, and/or wear marks in just the right places can all add to the character of a car.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (11-25-2017),oldcafe (11-13-2017),oldgrayleather (11-04-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 428 Posts
    Your car has become such a visually pleasing car from when I last saw it! Love everything about it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Rodriguez For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (11-09-2017)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Rodriguez View Post
    Your car has become such a visually pleasing car from when I last saw it! Love everything about it
    *blush* Thanks Gene! Need to get our smurfs back together again soon.. would be great to see you and Jeo back at KINOD.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Gene Rodriguez (12-09-2017)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    my only gripe with the falcon is how bendy it is

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (11-09-2017)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    looks great man!! loving all the rare parts on this Miata!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    So yesterday many thanks were given reflecting on the past year and beyond. Truth be told, a killer turkey induced coma kept me from posting earlier but I was thinking about a lot of you throughout the day.

I am very thankful for the expanded collection of Miati with all their enhancements and the sheer joy they bring to our family.
    (I am thankful too that by getting Mrs. R and son #1 hooked, they can understand and share in my passion.. will never forget Jen supporting the fact I " needed" to get the sharks because it was possible I wouldn't ever find another set)
    I'm thankful for all the years I had with my brother Dan and that this tribute to him has had such a positive and unexpected impact on my life while serving as a constant reminder of all the wonderful memories we had together. He is and always will be my co-pilot.
    I'm thankful for the incredible community surrounding our cars. Our crazy little tribe. And especially that this year laid down more exceptional memories and experiences together, connecting faces to names to the cars I've know from MR.net. I really have made some incredible friendships from here and at KINOD and the many people I've met at MRLS, JCCS and beyond.

I'm also thankful that as part of Thanksgiving it was a given I would be enjoying some time in the garage. I'd read a ton of posts exuding the pros and cons of strut bars. Some of the best track pilots I've known see no point so I was convinced there was no need. Perhaps a way to reduce some NVH at best but possible merely a vanity item. But what pretty items they are (and I did say it was time to turn my attention to some of the things under the hood). It also just so happened a local nut was clearing out some of his parts so I couldn't resist helping his efforts so relieved him of a Carbing front and rear strut bar.

The rear, particularly driver side, were a lot harder to get in than I expected. It helped a ton to separate the risers from the cross bar but the lack of space and ease of which I found myself dropping the suspension nuts into that one little crevice they fit in so perfectly. You know the one? The one that's completely out of reach? Yeah, that one. Eventually I got it in and as usual am sure I could do it in half the time if I had to again. The front was a lot easier...

I also removed my roundels. I loved them but at 14" they were too small and to be honest, I didn't install them as well as I'd liked so they were removed...

But they were replaced with 20" circles that I think are perfect. They were an unexpected gift from a dear friend who knew as well as I did that they were too diminutive. A spray bottle with a couple drops of soap worked wonders.

To cap off this wondrous holiday of thanks, Mrs. R this morning asked when we were going to go for a drive so I could see if the bars had any impact on how the car felt. So off we went up to Palos Verdes, down to San Pedro and then back up on the clear freeway. Still has the 65mph shimmy but placebo effect or not it did feel more planted. If I'm unsure I can just pop the hood and look at the pretty shiny-ness of it all and feel just fine. KINOD Black Friday edition was the best way to end a day of fresh air and staying far far away from the madness in the shops...

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-09-2017),JamieH (11-25-2017),MiataQuest (11-25-2017),Phatmiata (12-11-2017),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Usefulness of these bars on Miatae are doubtful. However, that front bar is pure sex, have been looking for one for myself like forever. I also hear they help with scuttle shake over bumps, although I doubt I will feel it with fender braces installed.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (11-25-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    *blush* Thanks Gene! Need to get our smurfs back together again soon.. would be great to see you and Jeo back at KINOD.
    Aha Yess soon enough

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MX5Wisher's Avatar
    Drives
    Fast as I can
    Thanks Given
    Bumpity Bump...

How is the poor BRG? Any thoughts of putting the RPF1's back on while the SSR's are fixed? And also... not to be rude but... how bad is the damage to the frame / panels etc...

Many Tanks!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MX5Wisher For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (12-11-2017)

Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast