Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Coffee and California...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Got some new badges installed on the back (thanks again Adam.. your work is truly exceptional!)...

Then installed Rev9's OE fenders and drove up to see Moti about a bar...

For any of those that have had any experience with Blackbird, you'll know Moti and his team are truly awesome. Exceptional products and fantastic service. It was so great to talk about track time and to see Creampuff in person.. I cannot wait to get to my first MRLS this year.

The bar looks amazing in high gloss black and there's obviously an immediate improvement in stiffness. As the interior is nearing complete for this stage, turning my attention to suspension and mechanical mods will be next.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (04-17-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! benpopham's Avatar
    Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Incredible.. just brilliant.

What an inspirational thread, I like your style.

I think I need to talk to you about Tokyo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-26-2016),oldgrayleather (04-18-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    You definitely seem to being doing a lot right with the car so far.

I'm looking forward to future progress.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (04-18-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Got all the Nakamae bits in today but didn't manage to get any photos downloaded or onto Imgur tonight. It was that or an extended drive up in Palos Verdes. Such a great feeling sampling new treasures and appreciating the fruits of your labor.

Oh, and first drive with my eldest son behind the wheel who has just got his driving permit. The time goes by so very quickly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-18-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    High-quality posts! Car is looking fantastic!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    So much good stuff going into this build. Totally envious of the Nakamae bits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    So the first unboxing came complete with JDM newspaper to protect all the lovely Nakamae bits!!

Contents of which were the carpet center console (loop carpet is a perfect match.. if only all my carpeting was in such good shape), classic door panels with the leather straps, mesh pocket (since I think I'm going to need somewhere to put little things having given up the cubby and it matches the drink holder I picked up at CarMakeCorns in September), leather handbrake grip and aluminum button (to join the Joyfast knob Rod procured for me) and protectors for the seat side bolsters. My collection of the HotWheels Japanese Historics arrived the same day.. pretty sure it wasn't just a coincidence.

The second and third boxes were holding these treasured gems. I still couldn't believe they were here. At my house! Ready to be installed!!!

My wonderful eldest son, co-pilot, co-mechanic and photographer set up his tri-pod to help demonstrate the side by side transformation of the before and after...

I love the details and couldn't be happier with the results! Install was really easy though I'm still not 100% happy with how the carpet sits across the center console. No matter how much we pulled on the carpet to get the velcro secured, it's not quite as tight as I'd like. If anyone has had similar experiences, please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Another more overhead shot just for posteriety...

We didn't spend too much time taking pictures as eldest son and I went out on our first official drive with him behind the wheel (completed his first instructional course Sunday morning before we did the bulk of the install) and then middle son and Frodo wanted to be the first for a blast up in Palos Verdes.

So very excited to have crossed this milestone and looking forward to the next enhancements. I really thought the interior would be pretty much sorted at this stage but now these bits are in it's clear next on my list will have to be...

* some kind of seatbelt mod so the straps don't rub on the headrest (+ some new JDM straps for the non-airbag NA.. maybe even in red if they can be sourced)
    * new black carpet mats
    * a new rearview mirror
    * fixing the audio set-up so it looks bespoke vs hacked in
    * covering the dash, tombstone and cluster cover in leather
    (holy crap.. didn't realize the list could grow so quickly

Besides the strap rubbing, priority has to be to focus on some oily bits. Suspension likely to be our first more mechanical DIY project. Most updates for the next while will likely be shots of us being out and about and enjoying the hell out of this fantastic little car.

Cheers!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (04-19-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),JamieH (04-18-2016),Phatmiata (05-23-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018),Vegard (06-04-2018)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    While I'm awaiting the delivery of my short shift kit from Bill's latest group buy have been focused most on getting out and enjoying the open road. Also, thanks to Shin, I now have a lovely collection of pics. Love his ability to capture the details that are unique to Benny.. the Fabworx bar, fender flares, rear badges, Nakamae seats, the Zoom mirrors and fuel lid, the wooden Nardi, etc...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

benpopham (04-25-2016),BRGNA8 (04-26-2016),Demon I Am (04-25-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),Phatmiata (05-23-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! benpopham's Avatar
    Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    ^^ So good, Shin has such a talent.

Can't get enough of mine

Drives
    Thanks Given
    So ahead of a track day at Grange arranged by some incredible folk(s) at Kinod, I needed to get something for my noggin. I really wanted a white Bell helmet since Dan had one when he was riding his Honda XR75 back in 1978 but given the SA2015 standards it seemed Bell was behind in production and I had to opt for something more in keeping with the Stig's preference ...

A 5:45 wake-up call facilitated meeting at Starbucks some 46 miles away. The unseasonably torrential downpour on the 605 reminded me of my NA's lack of ABS as well as being glad there was enough distance between my car and the Honda Accord that was hydo-planing in front of me. The showers were short-lived enough not to justify pulling over to put the top up so mustn't complain. It was so great to arrive and see some of the Miatae that were more than ready for the day ahead.

The convey set-off and eventually we exited the freeway for a dirt road that made me appreciate my stock suspension and lack of a front lip. With the clouds of dust and rumble from these 1.6 & 1.8's, this almost could have been a scene out of the next Mad Max flick...

Such an amazing collection of cars and enthusiasts.

Thanks to RuckkehrMiata's better half, this shot was proof that my stock suspension would need sorting out before the next outing (paging Emilio... .

Flash forward a couple weeks and Saturday at 8:58 my laptop was buzzing just waiting for the MRLS sign-up. By 9:03 everything had been entered, payment made and only five short months before my first opportunity to sample Laguna Seca with an even bigger group of Roadster fans. I'm sensing it's going to be an incredible trip with the marvelous folks from KINOD! With a deadline looking, time to get more busy on this build...

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

artcentermiata (05-26-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),JamieH (05-24-2016),Phatmiata (05-23-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    looks like a great time, super jealous ............

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (05-23-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    looks like a great time, super jealous ............
    Thanks Randy-san, we are indeed very fortunate to have an abundance of great tracks on this coast and year round weather that makes them infinitely more exploitable !!

Funny side note about Grange, it was actually this sticker that RuckkehrMiata picked up on which lead us to figuring out the MR.net connection...

Always great to meet up with MR.net people in real life and expecting MRLS will provide even more opportunities. Randy, have you ever made the trek out to Laguna Seca? My guess is that I have to figure out a way to get out to Miatapaloza next year to meet all the folks from the other side of the country.. need to start looking into a car transporter option now .

In other news, this arrived...

Install was painless. I opted not to "borrow" the turkey baster (to avoid sleeping on the couch) and saw someone post that they used an old soap pump.. worked like magic and I'm guessing even easier to navigate getting all the old crud out

Great online resources for install (thanks RevLimiter!).. the only bit I couldn't find was how to fit the new ThermoTec Aluminized Silica heat shield. I'd expected that it needed to sit flat but ended up putting it just under the upper dust boot. If anyone has more details, let me know!

Installed and ready for the first test drive before putting the center console back on.

Verdict? What an unbelievable transformation.. even more snickety than before and nothing vague about any of the gears. Bill, I do love your voodoo magic!!

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (05-23-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (05-24-2016),HarryB (05-23-2016),JamieH (05-24-2016),Roadster7 (07-10-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    that kit is awesome for sure, it rivals some of the best ones ive used from Japan.

I would love to come to MRLS, but with 2 young boys at home its hard to leave. But my goal is to visit MRLS at least once, and to make the trek to Japan again for Karuizawa. So you will see me out there some day for sure. just not sure I will bring the Miata to Cali though, that is one hellava drive, hhahahaha.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I'd be willing to go if someone could pick me up from the airport and then drop me off later. Oh but I'd need to stop at a White Castle on the way back but I could bring some Chick-Fil-A in exchange.

No todo que es oro brilla.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I could have swore i have read your build thread before, Pete, but guess not. Definitely glad I found it...such a inspirational story and am truly sorry for the loss of your brother and nearly shed a few tears reading the story behind your passion.

I'm sure Dan would be proud of what you have sculpted into Benny and having people around you that you love and share/support you is as good as it gets! Keep up the fantastic work!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (05-24-2016)

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast