Thread: 3rd gear grind

Idling - Listen to it purr... XMAN's Avatar
    Drives
    2000 Miata LE
    Thanks Given

3rd gear grind

Not sure why and if it will get worse. Down and up shifting in my 2000 at higher RPM's 3rd will grind before it go's in. Normal around town driving it's fine. A few question's. Is is a worth having fixed, is it just something simple or common ? If this turn's out to be a big deal. How hard is it to find a 6 speed and is it just a bolt up swap if I go to a 6 speed ? What are your feeling on the 6 speed. Thanks, Smitty

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Bleed clutch slave > replace slave & clutch master > replace motor mounts > rebuild shifter > replace diff mounts. In that order.

6speeds cost more than 5speeds. It is a bolt on affair. Your ring and pinion gear ratio will have some bearing on whether you like it or not. 6speeds feel different in their shift action. Some like them, some don't.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-28-2015)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    The reason you could be having more issues at higher RPMs may be dirty fluid in the hydraulics, which would cause the slave and master to react slower. Same if either are worn out.

Worn motor mounts will allow the engine to lay or twist over under more power/RPMs. To lesser extent, the diff bushings can also contribute. Essentially the drivetrain is twisting over and the gear shift is finding itself in a different position than the operator thinks it is.

The bushings in the shifter, along with the washers, can create a sloppy shift under higher engine loads.

Last, the third gear synchros take a bit more abuse as the more relevant gear for strong up and down shifts. The point is, before you go through the process of replacing a transmission, it is best to make sure to check the ancillary stuff first. Good luck!

Drives
    2000 Miata LE
    Thanks Given
    Thank you. I have looked at all the mount's. Their are in good shape, all fluids have been changed in the last 6 mos. Also, new clutch, plate turned and all new bearing's. I have not touched the slave. I know it had do be bled when the clutch was done. I'm not sure of the fluid's. That was my fault. Didn't tell them to change the fluid in it. I'll have that done. After what has been said about the 6 speed. I really like the gearing. I do road trip's, but not enough to know yet if I like it at cruising speed. I love it around town. I have owned a bunch of roadster's and sport's car. I by far like the gearing on this around town. IMO. Mazda did a great job their. Wish they would have do as good a job on their cup holder's. I'll have the slave fluid's changed. Anything else you can add that I should have done or looked at while I'm at it ? It's only 3rd, I have not had to deal with any tranny problems at all, lucky I guess. I olny have 73 grand on the clock and 3rd owner and I know the history. Another reason why I could not see having a problem with the tranny. Smitty

Drives
    2000 Miata LE
    Thanks Given
    OH and just rebuilt the shifter, X5 rebuild kit. Nice and tight.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

3rd gear grind

I would replace the clutch master and slave.

Drives
    2000 Miata LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Smitty

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! turboedpickup's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Interesting - mine does the same... but just in regular driving... and it's random. I still have yet to figure it out. Usually happens <4000 rpms, but again - random.