Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The REV9 Clubman Project - 2016 ND

Drives
    JDM Parts
    Thanks Given

The REV9 Clubman Project - 2016 ND

If you haven’t noticed lately, we’ve been adding a lot of ND parts to our web shop. Since the worldwide launch of the vehicle, we knew it would be our next shop (demo) car.

In May, I went to Japan to be one of the first to test the production model (it was 1.5L) for a road test and I was so amazed that once I came back to America, I placed an order at my local Mazda dealership, without even knowing the price of the car. That’s how much I liked it.

I first ordered a 2016 Black ND Base Model (GX) with manual transmission. Then, I felt like I needed some change (from always having Black Shop Cars) and ordered a 2016 Ceramic Metallic Base Model (GX). Long story short, I was supposed to receive it in late July/early August, but it delayed A LOT. During the wait, I changed for a 2016 Ceramic Metallic ND Sport Model (GS) because I wanted to have the navigation, black leather with red stitching accents, leather steering wheel and, most importantly, the LSD. It also came with a Bilstein Suspension and Front Strut Bar, but those will be upgraded anyways. So, here is the car the day I’ve got it.

It was one of the happiest day of my life… my very first brand new car:

(Sorry for the dark picture, but my car was delivered at 7:00 PM)

Now here are some pictures at day light. I absolutely don’t regret going with Ceramic Metallic, it’s such a beautiful and unique color. Everyone tells me how great it looks during the day as well as night or when it’s raining… color always is changing depending on lighting.

Front view:

Side view:

Rear View:

Interior:

Engine Bay:

What's included in the GS model?

(Touchscreen Infotainment, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel & Red Stitching Accents)

(Bilstein Suspension & Sport Springs)

(Mazda Noise Enhancer (pipe coming from the intake) & OEM Front Strut Bar)

This shows pretty much what is the base of my project. I think it’s worth getting the GS over GX model simply because of all the leather accents, infotainment & LSD. The upgrades might just bring the cost to the same and you’d still be missing leather accents.

The Project REV9 Clubman
    As with many folks, I don’t live anywhere nearby a race track. I don’t plan on building this car for the track, but mainly as a better version of what Mazda created. I am aiming for ~200 hp at the engine and lighter overall car than OEM. The project is to build a nice gentleman (classy) Roadster with many details that will make it better than the factory edition.

Car would still be able to do track days and perform, but that’s not the main purpose. It’s my pride and I want the best possible look without compromising quality over quantity.

Definition of Clubman : “One definition of "Clubman" is that of an amateur enthusiast, someone willing to partake in his sport without necessarily being a winner or serious contender, for the love of the sport. The founder of the Olympic Games, Baron Pierre de Coubertin said: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part: the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well." (Ref; http://theclubman.com/blog/2014/4/7/what-is-a-clubman)

I want to build a car that my customers, friends and fans will recognize not as the fastest “form over function” winning car, but a car that will try, through selection of beautiful and functional items, to be an overall better car that still can compete against more “serious” racers.

Early Build Wishlist
    Wheels : 17x8 +35 Ultra Lightweight & Forged
    Brakes : 4pot Front Big Brake Kit
    Suspension : Coilovers with tons of adjustability for street and track
    Aerodynamics : Front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser, duck tail spoiler & hardtop
    Engine : REV9 ECU tune, ram air intake, header & exhaust
    Interior : leather seats, upgraded steering wheel, weighted shift knob, checkered floor mats & metal accents
    Chassis : sway bars, front + rear strut bar & some more chassis bracing
    (Some items might appear or disappear, but it gives you an idea of what I am aiming for.)

See more pictures as well as bigger ones on our blog post : REV9 Autosport ND Demo Car Project Debut

I'll update this thread when I'll install new parts and provide tons of pictures for those interested
    Maxime L. | REV9 Autosport
    ARIOS | AUTOEXE | CARBING | DAIKEI | JENVEY | JET STREAM | JUBIRIDE | NARDI | TRAP | TUCKIN99 | ZOOM | Many More!

Email: info@rev9autosport.com | Web: www.REV9Autosport.com | Facebook | Instagram

Contact us for any JDM part we can get all brands.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to invert For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-27-2015),Dandy (11-05-2015),Dave737 (10-28-2015),Phatmiata (10-28-2015),tsingson (10-27-2015),WASABI (11-06-2015)

Drives
    JDM Parts
    Thanks Given
    UPDATE : 10/18

Installed my TUCKIN99 Short Antenna Ver1

It takes 30 seconds and removes the "toy car" look!

Before:

After:

Quite satisfied with the new look. Removing completely the antenna was not an option for me as I think it looks odd.

More details here: The Shorty Antenna (S2000 Style) for ND 2016+ Miata
    ARIOS | AUTOEXE | CARBING | DAIKEI | JENVEY | JET STREAM | JUBIRIDE | NARDI | TRAP | TUCKIN99 | ZOOM | Many More!

Email: info@rev9autosport.com | Web: www.REV9Autosport.com | Facebook | Instagram

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invert For This Useful Post:

Dandy (11-05-2015),Phatmiata (10-28-2015),tsingson (10-27-2015)

Drives
    JDM Parts
    Thanks Given
    UPDATE : 10/19

Installed Autowear Seat Covers into my ND as I'm not such a big fan of fabric seats (installation instructions here). Installation was super easy and took less than 1 hour.

Before:

After:

The seats are super BRIGHT RED. I gotta love the look, it's pretty neat now and makes the car much more unique than before. Seats are non-slippery and don't look like cheap covers at all. They have some small wrinkles because I've just installed them, but Autowear told me that it should go as I use them.

More details here : Red Seat Covers for my 2016 ND Miata

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invert For This Useful Post:

Inspecta (10-28-2015),Phatmiata (10-28-2015),tsingson (10-27-2015)

Drives
    JDM Parts
    Thanks Given
    UPDATE 10/26

Installed the REV9 Black Chrome Emblems for ND (all 4 pieces). It's another subtle change for the vehicle and installation was rather easy.

Before:

After:

I'm pretty happy with the results. It looks great but it's not as "bold" as painting them gloss black and does not look as hand made as painting them flat black.

More details here : Black Chrome Emblems for the 2016 ND Miata

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to invert For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (10-28-2015),Slampen (10-28-2015),speedypenguin (10-28-2015),tsingson (10-27-2015)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Beautiful car. The white with the red seats look amazing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

invert (10-27-2015)

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    It'll be a while before I get a ND but I am super excited to see how you build your car.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willywongka For This Useful Post:

invert (11-05-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Looking good

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

invert (11-05-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! geffrocks86's Avatar
    Drives
    like an old man
    Thanks Given
    Congratulations! Beautiful!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to geffrocks86 For This Useful Post:

invert (11-05-2015)

Drives
    JDM Parts
    Thanks Given
    NON-OFFICIAL UPDATE 11-05

I'll make a blog post tomorrow about specs, installation and everything. I'm just suuuuper tired tonight and wanted you guys to enjoy the view!

P.S. Thanks to my friend Raymond for the awesome job at photo processing.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to invert For This Useful Post:

Dandy (11-05-2015),Hammerhead (11-06-2015),HarryB (11-06-2015),Paul B (11-06-2015),tsingson (11-09-2015),WASABI (11-06-2015)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I'm drooling over here! That is beautiful!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

invert (11-05-2015),tsingson (11-09-2015)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    The car looks so good lowered and with your wheel selection. Congratulations on your new roadster.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dandy For This Useful Post:

invert (11-05-2015),tsingson (11-09-2015),WASABI (11-06-2015)

Drives
    JDM Parts
    Thanks Given
    UPDATE 11/09

After I ordered my 2016 ND MX-5 Shop Car, I immediately knew that I would change the suspension on it because I didn’t like the huge wheel gap from factory.

As much as it was easy to drive it everywhere and not care about clearance over bumps and driving fast over bad roads, I just thought it looked bad.
    It became even worse when I installed my 17x8 Advan RZ coupled with 215/40R17 tires :

(I only took one picture right after the installation. I didn’t take other as it just looked goofy.)

Installing coilovers on the 2016 ND Roadster is really a piece of cake. Get a friend who has power tools, follow these instructions and you’ll be done within a few hours. Adjustment takes a bit longer, but that depends on everyone. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of my OEM wheels with the lowered suspension, but it’s easy to imagine. The wheels won’t stick out and will be very narrow inside the fenders; not the look I was aiming for.

After installing the Cusco Street Zero Coilovers, everyone who saw my car first and then were just AMAZED. Holy moly, they couldn’t believe how great the car was looking now!

(I can’t believe how aggressive the car now looks!)

I was also pretty happy to notice that the 17x8 +35 Advan RZ & Yokohama S.Drive 215/40R17 don’t have any stretch and don’t even rub inside the fenders or anywhere during hard cornering! The wheels also sit perfectly flush with the fenders:

(It did not require any fender work, it just sits within a safe distance of the inner fender and fender “lip”.)

See more pictures as well as bigger ones on our blog post : Cusco Coilovers & Advan RZ for my 2016+ ND Miata

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to invert For This Useful Post:

Dandy (11-10-2015),fwdtamiya (11-09-2015),Ihatecars (11-10-2015),Martin (11-10-2015),Paul B (11-10-2015),Phatmiata (11-10-2015),tsingson (11-09-2015),Vegard (11-10-2015),WASABI (11-10-2015)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    looks great Max, when are you coming to Florida so the locals can check out your new ride?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

invert (11-10-2015)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Max, I am absolutely speechless.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

invert (11-10-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata