Thread: The Burnt Fish, NC MK3 from Malaysia Story

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    '07 NC Miata 6MT swapped from 6AT - Marrakesh Brown
    Thanks Given

The Burnt Fish, NC MK3 from Malaysia Story

Introduction

Hello all! Just a word of caution, could be image heavy

I decided to document my first and only Miata, which has been a big part in my life since owning it 2 years ago. I was involved in an accident (regretfully due to my carelessness driving early hours of morning and dozed off ), and decided to revive my NC not only because I am so attached to the car, but also because it saved my life during the accident and times of need. I only had a bruise on my left waist due to the safety features of the NC.

Currently I am the admin for the MX-5 Malaysia page (http://www.facebook.com/mx5my/) and also the unofficial videographer for many of the events we held.

My videos are mostly in my channel here (www.youtube.com/user/Thisisalamp)

Some examples:

Background:
    Malaysia, is where I'm from. And the rarity of a Miata on the streets here is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack; the recent ND spruce up interest from the public and its release has everyone thinking,

"Hey! Mazda has nice cars! Oh what's that? A convertible! Never knew they have convertibles!"

ND Launch event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The rarity and reluctance of the Malaysian public to drive manual transmission cars resulted in a not so popular Miata, subsequently giving the public AT transmission Miatas (). This forces me to find an NC in 6AT, because a manual is non-existent.

I bought the 6AT NC from a previous owner, who had a collection of cars but did not drive them. He kept the NC sitting in a Wheel/Tyre shop he owns at 14,000km mileage, practically stainless. It was in Sunlight Silver, a colour I wasn't fond of...I do not like silver cars at all, and before this I looked through 2 other NCs (Copper Red and a Stormy Blue). This was the last NC that was on sale in Malaysia then and it was my last choice due to the colour.

Called up, set a date, then I went to check out the car...in person it is beautiful; I was more attracted to the interior and the condition than the exterior colour.

The NC is a stock Mazda NCEC Roadster RS 6AT, imported from Japan with Japanese writing in the cabins and warning stickers, AKE, heated seats (not needed in Malaysian weather), Japanese radio...it still has the sticker on the LCD display!

A week or two later, deal is done and I got in touch with the MX-5 Club in Malaysia, where some members offered to pick the car keys up with me. And I was ecstatic to see 2 other MX-5s driving down to meet me despite not having met each other in person! Was a scary first drive! And immediately then I got the Miataddication...the first three days was driving everyday with the club!

By then, the club had given my car a name.
    "Patin" or the Iridescent shark (catfish). With the top down, it looks like the silvery catfish haha. Cooking it in Malaysia is quite popular.

3 months later, I added an Alpine IDA-X200 Headunit to replace the OEM CD changer...which I hated. I'm a big music fan, and I wanted to have a USB enabled head unit. Top down driving, I will still have my music on. You can say it's my first and favourite mod and not the last.

Over the course of the year, the club held many events in which I was glad to be part of. Letting the pictures do the talking

Summernats Malaysia, with 2 laps around the F1 Sepang International Circuit.

Miata 25th Anniversary Drive with MX-5 Malaysia and Miata Club of Singapore, charity runs in between. We frequently do cross-country events together with Singapore and Thailand.

Classic Cars Gathering in Malaysia, spot my car haha

Then after a year of owning with lots of new friends and finding new places, the accident happened.

And me looking like a sad puppy. Brought a tear my eye looking at Patin in the junkyard.
    Last edited by This is a Lamp; 11-17-2015 at 03:25 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to This is a Lamp For This Useful Post:

Slipstreem (11-17-2015),WASABI (11-17-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Building it Back (from Fish to Burnt Fish)
    After dueling with my consciousness on whether to keep the car or buy another one (which is next to impossible to find), I decided to revive it and here begins my build. I decided to source for many things, mainly through Yahoo Auction JP...my best buy was a 1 yen Garage Vary CF hood! So here's a look at the progress so far:

Went trigger happy and bought these. Ohlins DFV, Chargespeed guards and CF diffuser, Garage Vary Side Skirts, Beatrush Cabin Brace, Abaris Wisteria Bucket seats (from a junkyard find R34 Skyline), SARD Oil catch tank, Dixcel Rear Rotors, KS-Speed Front Rotors, Schroth Rally-4ASM 4 point harness, spacers, Autoexe wheel nuts.

Dreamed about the Autoexe NC front bumper. Dream becomes reality.

Ripping out the wiring and the interior.

Engine bay is painted pearl white for cleanliness and future wire tucks.

Ohlins and Rotors are in!

After much luck, I sourced a 6MT gearbox from Japan complete with all the necessities (slave pump, flywheel, clutch, pedals, wiring), which costs about USD$400 for the set from a half-cut in Japan.
    And on it goes!

Test fitting the Garage Vary hood + Side skirts and the Autoexe front. Had a donor car (and with luck) that was sitting in that workshop with a rear end collision (hence the red fender panels).

Engine is back in the bay and installed the Catch Tank.

Closer look at the 1 yen CF hood. Some minor fixing needed, took it to the fibre shop before to fill some scratches.

After much sweat and tears (and money), Patin is alive and fired up with a 6MT gearbox...albeit the AT ECU and AT Cluster still intact. Need to get that sorted. Managed to drive it to the paint booth.

Other goodies arrived! Rays 57FXX 17"+50, Maximworks Header, Autoexe Rear Muffler, KAAZ 1.5way Clutch LSD.

As of today (17.11.15), the Patin has turned into Burnt Patin (the club renamed it as you see fit). Chose this colour because it's unique, and always wanted that colour other than silver

Last edited by This is a Lamp; 11-17-2015 at 08:57 PM.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to This is a Lamp For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-17-2015),Dandy (11-18-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (11-17-2015),HarryB (11-17-2015),Slipstreem (11-17-2015),ueru (11-20-2015),WASABI (11-17-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Slipstreem's Avatar
    Drives
    Touka (1993)
    Thanks Given
    Hello and welcome! Great read. Patin is coming along very nicely.

Can't believe you scored a hood for 1 yen. That's less than $1...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slipstreem For This Useful Post:

This is a Lamp (11-17-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by This is a Lamp View Post
    Building it Back (from Fish to Burnt Fish)

Test fitting the Garage Vary hood + Side skirts and the Autoexe front.

Chose this colour because it's unique, and always wanted that colour other than silver

This is going to look great! First off, thank you for sharing your build, and passion for your car. Second, nice job saving Burnt Patin, and making her your own. I can't wait to see what you do next.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-17-2015),This is a Lamp (11-17-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstreem View Post
    Hello and welcome! Great read. Patin is coming along very nicely.

Can't believe you scored a hood for 1 yen. That's less than $1...
    Thanks! Yeah was very lucky, no one spotted the auction starting from 1 yen...truth be told, I only put a maximum bid of 500yen and wasn't expecting to win it haha. It's been polished now and painted black though; need to repaint it because it was slightly damaged. I believe the retail price is 85,000 yen, almost USD$700!

Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    This is going to look great! First off, thank you for sharing your build, and passion for your car. Second, nice job saving Burnt Patin, and making her your own. I can't wait to see what you do next.
    Thank you very much for your kind words Currently stationed in another city for another month or so, less time to check on Patin sadly. Only ever back over a few weekends to actually work on her haha. My biggest challenge is the wiring and compatibility with the manual ECU, manual cluster; basically electronics.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to This is a Lamp For This Useful Post:

WASABI (11-21-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Really great work so far! Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

This is a Lamp (11-22-2015)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    “We can rebuild him – We have the technology. We can make him better, faster, stronger.”

It's going to be cool with the unique color and that Garage Vary hood you scored.

Thanks for sharing. The videos are really well done. This board has a nice mix of international members which makes for a rich and diverse community. It is great to see just how many enthusiasts there are across the globe.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dandy For This Useful Post:

This is a Lamp (11-22-2015),WASABI (11-21-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Update 20.11.15

Came back for the weekend for some minor progress...fitted the front bumper and adjusted the dust covers; have to alter the pinholes since the bumper is an NC2 bumper. Also fitted the rear bumper and the ChargeSpeed mudguards and the carbon diffuser. Not doing much this time due to time constraints.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not a performance orientated person, I just mod what I see fit to my purpose and what I feel like doing There are amazing builds around the world, engine swaps, unique builds etc. I'm here just trotting along the brick road to revive my car haha, you may not see some unique things in this build but it makes me smile doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Really great work so far! Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!
    Thank you for your support !

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    “We can rebuild him – We have the technology. We can make him better, faster, stronger.”

It's going to be cool with the unique color and that Garage Vary hood you scored.

Thanks for sharing. The videos are really well done. This board has a nice mix of international members which makes for a rich and diverse community. It is great to see just how many enthusiasts there are across the globe.
    Kind words, thank you I frequently add Miata videos (have a stack of them in the PC) haha.
    Also it means a lot to us overseas enthusiasts. We love our cars as much as you do, just that sourcing for something is a bit harder than America or Europe without dedicated vendors here, I envy the accessible amount of parts (and of course manual Miatas haha)

Speaking about unique builds, we do have a member here in Malaysia who has done a Bikini Top for the NC PHRT and he also swapped a 6AT to 6MT. I think the top's unique and beautiful (if spare time and money permits that is) although some question him why would you need it for the PHRT. The custom scene is really big in Malaysia so you see all sorts of things running around here with no legalities surrounding car modifications (except license plates and tint)
    Last edited by This is a Lamp; 11-20-2015 at 06:32 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to This is a Lamp For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-20-2015),Dandy (11-20-2015),WASABI (11-21-2015)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Great Job on your revival, I like the idea of changing the 6AT to 6MT!!!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    This car is going to be gorgeous!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Update 11.12.15

It's almost Christmas.
    I think Santa put me in the good boy's list.

Only found out the HID headlights I bought came only with the right connecting wires and not the left
    I would say it's 90% ready to run (still runs on AT cluster). Waiting for a set of Yokohama AD08Rs to come by as well, and sorting out the insurance and road tax.

(Apologise for the crappy phone pics)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to This is a Lamp For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-12-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (12-10-2015),Martin (12-11-2015),WASABI (12-10-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    I am loving this color! Well done!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

This is a Lamp (12-11-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
    I am loving this color! Well done!
    Thank you! It's almost there, I can see the light!

Just a general question; I'm planning to reorganise my engine bay, and one of the things I'll be doing will be to either move the washer fluid bottle to the top right side or delete it altogether. If I were to delete it, do I just put a stop plug on the washer lines or can I cut it?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    IMO, do not delete it. If you do, you can remove the lines altogether, since all water in the system is within the tank you would be removing, no need for them to be there.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

This is a Lamp (03-12-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Hello all!

Haven't posted in a while !
    Partly because the bloody insurance is taking so long, I can't even take the car out legally; I did sneak out a few test drives with the test plate though.

Before some minor adjustments it sits like this, 18" with Toyo T1S:

As of 12/03/2016, it sits like this now with 17" Rays 57FXX +50 offset, Kumho Escta V720s 215/45/17s:

Installed an oil cooler as well while it's sitting collecting dust. Couldn't find a 70mm++ diameter sandwich plate locally and had it delivered from Australia...then when fitted the stock oil filter couldn't fit due to space constraints. Had to improvise with a Daihatsu Oil Filter for now:

Here's my first drive around, and yes I am quite rusty in manual haha.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to This is a Lamp For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-12-2016),Malibu Q (03-12-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast