Thread: BoBo's 96 montego blue (short) build thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given

BoBo's 96 montego blue (short) build thread

I decided on making a build thread after having the car for almost a year. I have seen other peoples build thread and feedback on parts, which some gave me some ideas, so I want to return the favor for other people and share my experience.

I first got this car at around 130k miles with a good clutch. However, the shocks were blown, the paint was not the best. It had dents like an old car. I decided to buy this car because everything was original excluding the rims and is rust free. In addition, the seller was easy to work with and provided maintenance receipts.

*Most of the parts I purchased can be found at GoMiata, PartsGeek and GWR.

In the first week that I got the car, I replaced all of the typical maintenance parts: fluids, some ignition parts, and added a K&N air filter. I'm sure I forgot to mention something. Since the car was outdoors most of it's life, I washed it and used a clay bar. I also bought a used front bumper since the bumper was cracked in the front, due to someone backing into it. I replaced the shift boot because it had a hole. I just bought a new OEM boot from MAZDA.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    A week later I bought a set of Koni Streets and FCM bumpstops. My experience with (Streets) was, "OK," with OEM springs. I bought RB springs & tow hooks from GWR, but after a day of driving with RB springs, I found out that the rate was too low and I would bottom out and experience fender rubs during aggressive driving.

Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    I was planning to throw away the RB springs after a week. However, I didn't want the hassle in removing it with the shocks, so I sold my whole setup for a good deal to someone who had recently bought a Miata with blown shocks and rusty OEM springs. Boy, he was happy to get rid of his rusty springs. Anyway, I bought a new set of Bilstein HD with EIbach pro-kits. Unfortunately, the springs were out of stock and back-ordered for 2 weeks. I ended up using the OEM springs once again. My experience with the Billies was good. I noticed that the rebound was a bit too much for the OEM springs, it was a bit bumpy on rough roads. I thought I would be riding on bump-stops, but the extra height from the 96 springs and the new 46/36 FCM bump-stops I bought prevented that from happening. BTW, my Eibach springs are for sale. When time and money permits I will remove the shocks and have it re-valved by FCM to work with OEM springs and maybe FM springs.

Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    After about 2 months, I bought the simplest roll bar with the least interference because it was my DD/Track. In addition, it was also hardtop friendly. I bought it from GWR. I noticed there was less vibrations in the car. It wasn't much, but better than nothing.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Maybe after a month I bought an Ebay strut tower bar. The engine bay looks better, but even with double wishbone setup, the car could use additional stiffening because it's a convertible. I'm looking to add a rear bar as well, to even out the front and back in the future. The engine bay, when I first got the car, was clean and had no leaks. I'm looking to keep it that way. I also bought a new front license plate holder from MAZDA. I was kinda shocked how much they charge for those.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    I had extra tires in the garage, so I bought some daisies to use on them. I got a deal from a fellow Miata enthusiast. I also bought an ebay R-lip rep. The car could use a chin.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    I think it's been almost a year now, I finally got the hardtop re-sprayed. It's seems to be on the green side, but I'm planning to paint the entire car anyway in the future, so it's just to get rid of the faded red look. The Garage star brackets and locks also came in the mail, so everything is smooth sailing. The hardtop paint was a 2 stage PPG waterborne paint. I noticed a lot of reduce vibrations, flex, and road noise when having the hardtop on, so that's a plus.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    My mazdaspeed license plate cover finally came.The quality is good and it's not plastic, which is a plus.

I am still waiting on my front and rear mudguards. I think it should be coming in the mail today, I will check in a few minutes. Maybe I'm missing something I installed, but for now this is all I can think of.

The car was also aligned to FM specs.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Somewhere along the way I bought a faded red Hardtop, from a fellow enthusiast, who blew his motor and needed the $. I bought a set of lightweight NB wheels, and a new set of 205/50 -15 DZ 101 tires. My experience with the DZ 101 tire was great. It's not the Star Specs like I had before, but it had good grip and will have a longer use. I wanted to buy after market wheels, but for now I want to keep the subtle and original look. I forgot to mention I also bought a Viper alarm to help deter thieves when it's not in the garage. In addition, I wanted that key-less entry since my door lock was getting worn out.

My Russel speed bleeder, ATE slotted rotors , and Hawk HP pads came in the mail from GWR, partsgeek, and tirerack, and I was excited to install it. I love the speed bleeder, it made flushing the whole system with ATE super blue racing fluid a JOKE.

I wasn't planning on spending this much on the car, but that's what it is when you are a car enthusiast.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    ^ Regarding your HT color, Montego Blue was a color offered for four years in four (4) different shades. They are all code M8, but one has to specify for the specific year. I got lucky when I bought my HT as it had been painted from new as '96 M8 Montego. Just FYI!

PS: if for some crazy azz reason you want to sell your passenger side front fender, give me a holler! ;)
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for that info. I didn't even know they came in 4 shades. I will make sure I have my car re-sprayed a 96 version.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    Thanks for that info. I didn't even know they came in 4 shades. I will make sure I have my car re-sprayed a 96 version.
    You are welcome. In all honesty, it is one of the stupidiest things Mazda did to the Miata!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    My Front and rear mudguards came in the mail. However, I wasn't able to get a good shot, the mudguards seemed t have blended inn due to the sun. I will take another picture during one of my mountain runs.

This is basically the finished product. I have to take care of some school bills, so I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything to the roadster in the very near future. The only thing I am interested in is a $4000 paint and body work. And boost.

Last edited by BoBo; 05-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Me and my roadster chilling, enjoying nature, and waiting for the brakes to cool down. A red or Montego blue RX7 FD would be nice to own.
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-22-2013 at 07:32 PM.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Very nice! I like this build. Sometime the nice simple OEM+ looks are the best! Good work!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast