Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your vintage/retro inspired NB

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts

Post your vintage/retro inspired NB

Well, after spamming/ruining the respective NA thread (sorry guys!), I think it is time to start a new one. I would love to build myself a retro-inspired classy OEM+ NB2, and when searching for inspiration I came to realize that there are a handful of such NB builds around. So this thread is aimed to gather such info for future reference, in case anyone wants to go down that path.

Pfunk, RMCoachworks and Pacman99 cars are pretty awesome on that front, especially on the interior, and I am definitely borrowing elements for mine.

RM Coachworks demo car, that tombstone/radio surround and HVAC are so awesome!

On the exterior, I am thinking keeping it simple; Zoom fuel cap and repeaters, Watanabes in 15" with meaty tires and an R-package lip. Still debating on GV taillights on NB2's.

Just wheels and a drop but IMO looks great:

And a few more from a Greek NB2 (debating on flares, more racecar than retro IMO)

Post your pics and give me some more inspiration!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

atank (12-18-2015),fwdtamiya (12-13-2015),Greasemonkey2000 (12-12-2015),oldgrayleather (12-13-2015),Paul B (12-13-2015),Phatmiata (12-13-2015),RustRat (12-13-2015),WASABI (12-13-2015)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Retromodern's NB is one of my favorite NBs.

I think some NBs look great with 14s.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (12-14-2015)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I approve this message.

It is definitely more difficult to achieve the "retro inspired" look given its more modern facelift but the few examples you sited it is entirely possible.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 12-12-2015 at 08:18 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-13-2015),WASABI (12-13-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    ^^^agree it will take straightening some of the design lines to soften the sporty modern look of the NB. Pacman99 did it well in his interior. The banana type rims definitely straightened some of the exterior lines but the challenge is the front facia. The headlight shape is so modern. BUT nothing can stop an inspired enthusiast........can't wait to see your rendition!!!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    I think a lot of it depends on what you call vintage. I'm not being cheeky here; what I mean is, the NA harks back to the '60s British vibe very easily, but I don't think the NBs do that as well. It can be done to an extent, especially if you're willing to gut and redo the interior, but the exterior, due more to the headlights than anything else, doesn't really go along. Think about '60s Euro cars and there are plenty of curvy ones to choose, but the headlights are still round. The NB is curvier than the NA (that's a good thing in my book) but I've not seen a new fascia for the NB I like. I always thought the Pitcrew for the NA was much better than the NB version, for example. The '70s interiors, such as the 240Z, would play well with the NB exterior. In fact, I'd first asked Ken to do hooded/angled gauge treatments for my plan but he couldn't make it happen so we worked with what we could achieve. Any advice I could give would be to have a crystal clear vision in mind along with areas you're open to compromising, and planning for quite a while before committing. I planned/made mental models for seven or eight years before really jumping in.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pfunk For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-13-2015),oldgrayleather (12-13-2015)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Wow, that's some response, thanks everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by speedypenguin View Post
    Retromodern's NB is one of my favorite NBs.
    Will second that, interior bits are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    ^^^agree it will take straightening some of the design lines to soften the sporty modern look of the NB. Pacman99 did it well in his interior. The banana type rims definitely straightened some of the exterior lines but the challenge is the front facia. The headlight shape is so modern.
    Pacman99 door cards and shorty console are on my list already ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Pfunk View Post
    I think a lot of it depends on what you call vintage. I'm not being cheeky here; what I mean is, the NA harks back to the '60s British vibe very easily, but I don't think the NBs do that as well. It can be done to an extent, especially if you're willing to gut and redo the interior, but the exterior, due more to the headlights than anything else, doesn't really go along. Think about '60s Euro cars and there are plenty of curvy ones to choose, but the headlights are still round. The NB is curvier than the NA (that's a good thing in my book) but I've not seen a new fascia for the NB I like. I always thought the Pitcrew for the NA was much better than the NB version, for example.
    Regarding exterior, I love the overall looks of NB(2)s. They are not 60's retro by any means, however a banana-style wheel (original watanabes for me please) and some other minor details would help IMO. I would love to see a car with Zoom fuel lid, Watanabes, Zoom side markers, Fastback hardtop, and maybe bullet-style mirrors, GV tail lights and flares. The only one coming close exteriorwise is Jeremy's (artcentermiata) Kimochi cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfunk View Post
    Any advice I could give would be to have a crystal clear vision in mind along with areas you're open to compromising, and planning for quite a while before committing. I planned/made mental models for seven or eight years before really jumping in.
    You're absolutely right, I have a list and would love to do an illustration of how I want it all to end up. Thanks for the advice! (p.s. your interior is what led me to RetroModern, and an absolute inspiration; I think I have every image available stored in my "interior inspiration" folder, so thank you!)

A few more pictures for today!

PFunk's awesome interior; gotta love the colour, switches, rings and HVAC controls as well as the Nardi.

An original inspiration for my gauges/needles/steering wheel. I already bought a NB1 gauge cluster to swap over needles (and experiment a bit). I think this is where I want to go, albeit with a satin black gauge surround (like Smac's on the following picture). Oh and what people, especially Adam, think about using black needles?

I know it is an NA, but looks absolutely stunning (using this as my desktop since Smac uploaded it).

Kimochi; need I say more?

...albeit I love the clean, less racecar looks of this awesome merlot NB.

Bring on more pics people!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Fishbulb (05-17-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (12-13-2015),Paul B (12-13-2015),WASABI (12-13-2015)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    I wanted that merlot fastback SO BAD(it is/was in Texas up near Dallas,iirc) but it was almost double my budget for a miata at the time. Not sure if he sold it or what but it was a sweet miata at a reasonable price.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-13-2015)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    I agree with you Chad, it has all good things going for it. Does it happen that you have any more photos of it? Not sure if I am exactly sad that you let it slip by, as we would not have your Warbird here, which is one of the best NA builds around IMO.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-13-2015)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    That is very kind of you to say Harry but this fastback was/is well built. Oddly enough he also had a turbocharged NA that i was considering before i got my nb1, my first miata in 2012. The fastback was for sale when i wad looking at a NA in 2013...funny how that happened. Here is a link to the for sale ad:
    http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/2456...miata+fastback

I think he primarily posted there but not sure.

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Cheers Chad, thanks for the link! Wow that car is WELL built, and the final price (8K) was well worth it IMO.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    all the right NB inspiration for a retro themed build in this thread!!! nice work !!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

WASABI (12-17-2015)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Glad this was made! I've had a few people ask me about what's available/potentially doing a retro NB. I'm just not very knowledgeable about NB's, so I can direct them to this thread.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Lots of really pretty stuff out there. The NB can definitely exude classiness, approaching The high-end makers of the 60s-70s, but it is a lot more work. I was originally going to plan for a Retro inspiration, but I think I'll just shoot for Classy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-14-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! KAL's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    My neighbour has a dark blue NB with the light cream interiour and the wooden Nardi details. Definitely classy.
    '9 3 B R G

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Posting also here for future reference (to whom might be interested)

The first two are more stanced than retro, however I really like how the wheels look on an NB

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast