Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920212223242528 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul B's 90 NA "Build"

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    HAHAH good way to put it...uncomfortably. The large conical seat is a huge improvement over my old ones.

One thing, I wish 949 offered the same lugs but with a closed end. oh well. Still happy.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    HAHAH good way to put it...uncomfortably. The large conical seat is a huge improvement over my old ones.

One thing, I wish 949 offered the same lugs but with a closed end. oh well. Still happy.
    No you just need ARP extended wheel studs....why? Because racecar. Seriously though I think they are just as much a safety item because if you put them on but forget to tighten, which stud is going to lose the nut first? Obviously the oem ones. The ARP studs are almost a inch longer than oem studs, iirc.

As far as the 949 Racing forged aluminum lug nuts are concerned, they are forged so pretty durable. The biggest issue is cross threading them since they will be more likely to cross thread against the studs, especially the ARP studs. I had the same set on two different Miata's over almost a 4 year period with no issues.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Adam wrote a blog post about different lug nuts. Fun read.

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/05/l...ug-nut-review/
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-12-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    No you just need ARP extended wheel studs....why? Because racecar. Seriously though I think they are just as much a safety item because if you put them on but forget to tighten, which stud is going to lose the nut first? Obviously the oem ones. The ARP studs are almost a inch longer than oem studs, iirc.

As far as the 949 Racing forged aluminum lug nuts are concerned, they are forged so pretty durable. The biggest issue is cross threading them since they will be more likely to cross thread against the studs, especially the ARP studs. I had the same set on two different Miata's over almost a 4 year period with no issues.
    Good to know. Doubt Ill be doing extended lugs anytime soon. I just like the look of the closed end lug. I had a black set of 949 lugs on my last car. No issues.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by speedypenguin View Post
    Adam wrote a blog post about different lug nuts. Fun read.

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2012/05/l...ug-nut-review/
    It was a great read. Re-read that about a week ago when I saw my old lugs rusty and chipping. McGard is right in my back yard so I almost went with them, but decided to go with 949.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Shot these photos while on break waiting for my phone to get service. Working right on top of Niagara Falls, phones like to bounce between US and Canadian phone carriers.

Figured Id post them in my "build" thread as well.

miata rear.jpg

miata front.jpg

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-13-2017),JamieH (05-12-2017),MiataQuest (05-12-2017),NCGreasemonkey (05-12-2017)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Well done on the gauge pods!! And thanks for the lugnut link. I need to take more toy pix. I've not done that in a while.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Well done on the gauge pods!! And thanks for the lugnut link. I need to take more toy pix. I've not done that in a while.
    Thanks Adam! just need to get them wired up and mount the crash pad. They're going to turn out nice. Gauges came with red blub condoms so Im thinking the lighting will be a decent match.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-12-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    My parents and I have been apart of a local Miata club for the Western NY and Niagara region for over a decade now. My father has his own Miata, a 2012 NC. And my mother a 2004 NB.

These days I am rarely off from work and child-free so I haven't made it to any club events or drives in quite some time.

Today I had an open afternoon while my mother watched my son. My father and I joined the local Miata club for a nice drive to get some lunch at a local brewery after a somewhat spirited drive. I think 9 cars went. 2 NBS. 1 ND. My car was the only NA. Less than a handful of NAs are even in the club these days. My father's NC is probably the 2nd most 'modded" car in the club behind mine. It's basically a club of 70 yr old retired couples with NCs that talk about license plate frames. Im the youngest member at age 31. All great people, but no one really talks about CARS and doing things to cars.

Backroads today were nice. But some were scattered with pot holes. NY roads are not the greatest.

Just a few miles from the destination the lead car, an NC, hit a pot hole hidden on the crest of a hill that punctured the side wall of the tire. Stranded NC. No spare. Tire inflator did nothing for the sidewall slash. AAA had to be called.

Here are some photos from today while the NC was down. It was a good chance to take some photos.

Father and Son.
    whiteandblack.jpeg

Everyone has to confirm that the tire is flat.
    flattire.jpeg

Yup, it is flat.
    flattire2.jpg

Flat tire is flat.
    flattireupclose.jpg

Lined up.
    lineup.jpeg
    lineup2.jpeg

Father and son again.
    whiteandblack3.jpeg

My car.
    whiteupclose.jpeg
    rearupclose.jpeg

Interior shot.
    interior.jpeg

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-16-2017),HarryB (05-17-2017),JamieH (05-16-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Holy shit, you're a more patient man than I. And you weren't joking about them being retirees, geez. Man, talk about your NC stereotypes. Not sure I could putt along out back in that pack.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Holy shit, you're a more patient man than I. And you weren't joking about them being retirees, geez. Man, talk about your NC stereotypes. Not sure I could putt along out back in that pack.
    HHAHAHA I am patient. The car being so slow also helps. They're good people, but can only take them in small doses lol.

NC stereotype is alive and real.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given

Fresh wash.

And as a throwback Thursday here are some photos of my first Miata at its peak point before it got disassembled and then traded for a VW and replaced with my current car.

Very similar yo my current car. Just not as nice. This is going back to 2010. On a college kid budget. Actually bought the turbo kit from a guy on m.net and he let me pay him in payments via paypal until kit was paid for. Crazy to think about.

Begi s1 turbo kit
    Megasquirt
    Autokonexion v1.5 trunk
    TDR splitter
    Front and rear sways
    1.6 dash swap
    Drag dr-20 wheels
    Bride reps and a Sparco sprint 5

A lot of parts ended up swapping over.

I learned a lot from his car. A lot of what to do and what not to do. Got this car in 2004 and it went through several transformations before this final stage.

Funny to me now that my current car looks very similar to this car. And Id like to continue to make it similar to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-18-2017),JamieH (05-19-2017),MiataQuest (05-25-2017),RustRat (05-19-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Been slacking lately.

Hoping to get my clock and voltmeter wired in tomorrow.

Also would like to get my mini amp wired in and get rid of my head unit.

A small project I worked on tonight is fixing my glove box. When I cut the dash / crash pad area I had to remove the glove box to get to a hidden screw. In the process, the hinge tab broke and I noticed the top portion of the glove box itself had a 8 inch crack going almost all the way from the top edge to the bottom.

I used some epoxy and a strip of styrene plastic to keep it sturdy and strong.

Jb weld was sloppily applied to the hinge tab area. Itll be hidden.

I plan on covering the inside and the edges of the glove box with a felt-like material to eliminate rattles that tend to come from that area. Thats for another day. Would also like to do that shotgun gauge panel in theret.

Next project will be mounting my LE speaker panels. This means new door cards.

Any one have experience with the faux leather (non-quilted) panels from Carbon Miata? If they match the factory vinyl, $99 for a set is a good deal.

Otherwise Ill go with the ebay "forever" miata door panels and have to recover them myself. These panels make it easy to mount the LE panels. But id have to buy more vinyl and some closed-cell foam, so this route would be more money than the CM set. And Id have to trace the pattern and gut and glue/staple. Ugh.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-25-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Now that my interior is just about where I have always dreamed of it being, it is time to shift focus on other areas of the car.

Looking to improve the look inside the engine bay and improve performance.

Today I had about an hour to myself before work so got some minor things done.

I removed the hood struts. For some reason they like to push up on the hood when it is closed so it doesn't sit flush. I left the strut mounting points attached for the times I need the hood open. Dont really need the struts when the hood is closed most of the time lol

I removed the Garage Star rad panel. It is a nice piece but I like the TDR piece more and it is black. The GS will be up for sale and replaced by a TDR piece. Anyone need a GS rad panel?

Makes contact with the latch

Finally got around to painting my RetroModern plug wire cover. Sprayed it with some truck bed liner then with some cheap rattle can black. It will do the trick for now. Hopefully black will work with whatever next valve cover color is.

Engine bay improvement plan for the next couple months involves:

TDR rad panel

Mishimoto radiator, fans, new hoses.

Circuit sports or Moroso coolant overflow tank. Because pretty.

Shock tower brace. FM for $200 or NB for $120? Hmmmm....

Replace purple valve cover with something more subdued. Maybe a light blue or white to match the car? Any opinions? Anyone want to buy a purple powdercoated VC?

Drove it the other night and took this photo.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-29-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    1. I'm interested in the rad panel

2. NB brace, or even better a 3-point brace.

3. For VC I saw this on FB and kinda liked it, not sure it will fit your theme, though. Just an idea.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

Paul B (05-30-2017)

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920212223242528 ... LastLast