Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819202124 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul B's 90 NA "Build"

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Search eBay for a small barebones amp. Needs a 12v input and an aux cable. Some of them also integrate Bluetooth so you can pair them with your phone. They are cheap and tiny and can sufficiently drive car speakers. Leave the amp volume to a decent level or extend the controls up to the glove compartment. Then use your phone for music; spotify or anything that works for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-15-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Search eBay for a small barebones amp. Needs a 12v input and an aux cable. Some of them also integrate Bluetooth so you can pair them with your phone. They are cheap and tiny and can sufficiently drive car speakers. Leave the amp volume to a decent level or extend the controls up to the glove compartment. Then use your phone for music; spotify or anything that works for you.
    You make it seem so easy.

All i would want is a volume knob within reach. Aux is fine as I could hide the cord.

Any links to one in ebay to get me started? I know nothing about this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    From the research I just did, looks like volume would be controlled through my phone (audio device). Set the amp volume before hiding it behind the dash and use phone volune controls. Not ideal, but something Ill have to get used to.

Now for wiring it in, do I have to tie into stock wiring, or just tap into 12v power , and connect speakers to amp?

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Back to working on my "adorable" custom shorty center console while I think about other projects.

The console needs to be secured to the trans tunnel. This will help with manipulating the switches as well as make it look and feel like it is a permanent piece of the car. Almost as if it came from the factory...with badass retro window switches!!

After looking under both layers of carpet, the screw holes that hold the factory console in place fall directly under where the switches end up with my short console in place. I wouldn't be able to reuse those holes.
    New holes will have to be drilled in the trans tunnel.

Went back to the console and figured out where the holes will need to be in the inner compartment. Little bit inward of OEM holes. Custom plastic fabrication here we come.

The underside of this inner space sits about an inch off the trans tunnel. It will need spacers in order to be tightened down. Had my old cut up pieces on hand that has the original spacers. Perfect!

Small piece of styrene was needed to make sure one spacer had a solid place to sit.
    Cut those off oem spacers off and epoxied them underneath.

Hoping to get the holes drilled in trans tunnel this week and get this thing mounted and finished. Then I can stop talking about this stupid thing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2017),JamieH (04-25-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    I have chopped up an iso adapter for mine. Will collect all info and get back to you with a detailed write-up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-16-2017)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    From the research I just did, looks like volume would be controlled through my phone (audio device). Set the amp volume before hiding it behind the dash and use phone volune controls. Not ideal, but something Ill have to get used to.

Now for wiring it in, do I have to tie into stock wiring, or just tap into 12v power , and connect speakers to amp?

This helped me when I removed the head unit:
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....on-Replacement

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2017),Paul B (04-16-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Awesome. That thread helps. Thanks Martin.

Definitely going to invest the $15 in the PAc LC-1 for volume control. Much rather control volume from a knob near the shifter than my iphone.

Also will grab a $5 mazda wiring harness off ebay .

Im OK with USB or AUX cord to iphone; bluetooth isnt necessary. Guessing this will have to be a red/white connector to be plugged into amp.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-16-2017)

Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    The volume controller in essence is a potentiometer inline with your source; you can use it to lower the volume but you cannot exceed the maximum set by the amp and/or the phone. My amp had a small knob controlling volume/bass/treble, connected to the main board via 4 inches of wires, so it could be placed "remotely". As far as connecting the phone with the amp, a 3.5 jack to RCA cable will do it. Couple of dollars through eBay as well. Albeit Bluetooth will be cleaner and most probably better quality due to absence of ground/signal issues.

P.S. make sure you ground the amp as good as possible.
    Last edited by HarryB; 04-16-2017 at 05:17 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-16-2017),Paul B (04-16-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    The volume controller in essence is a potentiometer inline with your source; you can use it to lower the volume but you cannot exceed the maximum set by the amp and/or the phone. My amp had a small knob controlling volume/bass/treble, connected to the main board via 4 inches of wires, so it could be placed "remotely". As far as connecting the phone with the amp, a 3.5 jack to RCA cable will do it. Couple of dollars through eBay as well. Albeit Bluetooth will be cleaner and most probably better quality due to absence of ground/signal issues.

P.S. make sure you ground the amp as good as possible.
    Thank you for all the help. Will begin collecting parts for this project. Didnt realize bluetooth would be clearer. Maybe BT and volume control just through phone is the simplest/best way to do it. Thinking about it, controlling the volume via buttons on the side of the phone isnt that difficult.

My son slept after Easter dinner and rain prevented us from finishing his new swing set so I tinkered on the Miata for a bit.

Got the adorable shorty center console mounted to the trans tunnel. Was a bit more difficult than I thought but I got it done. Drilled some PITA holes and used some generic household screws to attach it in some hard to see areas. It works. Its complete. Being fastened tightly to the car helps with the manipulation of the switches.

Im 95% happy with how it all came out. Could be better but could be way worse. Learned a lot. Proved to myself I can do cool stuff if I put my mind to it. I picked up a cheap spare center console for the day I decide to make another version.

Forgot to take photos with the lid on. potato camera in awful garage (see:none) lighting.

Then I mounted the tombstone with the new omgpham blockoff plate and revlimiter shift plate. Excuse the mess inside the dash.

I think it turned out great. Took the seats out today so I couldnt really tell what it will look like from driver's POV but idc. It looks swell. Like it is supposed to be there.

And in my quest to get rid of the radio and further improve the center stack, I test fitted my styrene plastic block off panel. Press fits pretty nicely. Ill prime it, paint it with some truck bedliner spray and press it in with some silicone or double sidr tape until I figure out final solution.

My tombstone is the JDM version...im not sure who or what company makes a well-built block off panel for that size.

Im not completely sold on the full block off panel and I do like the look & usefulness of the OEM single din cubby. Great spot for my wallet & garage door opener. Ill fab up a panel to fit in with the cubby and see what works/what I like best.

Happy Easter!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

JamieH (04-25-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    While Im figuring out and collecting pieces for a new hidden music setup, I fabbed this up out of some .118" styrene plastic. Trimmed it close enough where it presses in. Painted it with some black paint I had laying around.

Doesn't look too bad.

Drove it to Work today...i definitely miss the mazda half cubby and music. Parts buying is on hold for a couple weeks.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-20-2017),JamieH (04-25-2017),MikeA (04-21-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Anyone have any experience with Jass Performance shipping?

Curious as to how long stuff takes to get stateside from them.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Mine took awhile. In fact, I ended up contacting them to make sure it was being sent. They were very professional and it wasn't much later that the part arrived.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-22-2017)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by riefdaddy View Post
    Mine took awhile. In fact, I ended up contacting them to make sure it was being sent. They were very professional and it wasn't much later that the part arrived.
    Hmmm well the second half of your reply makes me feel confident. First half has me worried. Guess im in no hurry but trying to plan a project when all parts arrive around the same time.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,352 Posts
    I ordered a small part from Jass (not yet installed) and it arrived pretty quickly. No problem.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-22-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Provably irrelevant since we are close, but mine took no more than a week from the moment I sent the payment.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-22-2017)

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819202124 ... LastLast