Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul B's 90 NA "Build"

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Very nice additions Paul! Does Retro Modern still sell the dimmer switch piece? I have looked several times recently and haven't seen it on the site...
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-23-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! 90blue's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata 1990 blue VVT AEM EMS4
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Very nice additions Paul! Does Retro Modern still sell the dimmer switch piece? I have looked several times recently and haven't seen it on the site...
    I like the dimmer switch thingey and well. Tried to get onto RM's site it is down, he is changing servers. Called his number 510-969-6392 and he promptly answered. Friendly guy. He is now only doing an exchange on the dimmer switch. You send in yours and he sends you back one with the knurled knob installed. I am awaiting a price. Just thought you might like to know.

Just got the invoice;
    RM Dimmer Switch-full knurl NA NB Dimmer Switch - Full knurl- Core exchanged required. $19.99

Nice stuff.
    Last edited by 90blue; 04-23-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    Peter

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90blue For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-23-2016),HarryB (04-25-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    There's your answer!! I had emailed him about it when I ordered the cigarette lighter plug. Only took a few minutes of sanding and adjusting to get it installed.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Yeah, I loved having that adjuster knob, was way cute

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-26-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Need to get in contact with Adam for a possible M logo insert to match the other badges I have (nose badge, key chain, oil cap etc)..
    Love the details Paul and the RM parts looks fantastic! I put one of Adam's stickers on the stock lighter which I love but now seeing all the burled aluminum goodness has got my eyes set on even more upgrades. Hmmm.. this pic also makes it pretty clear I probably also *need* Ken's ignition cover too

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (06-14-2016),Paul B (04-26-2016)

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    RichardHishWT
    Thanks Given

Hello guys

Thanks!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Awesome quality stuff. I really love RM style and I simply adore the interior of their demo car, was a huge inspiration for mine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-26-2016)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts
    Love that retromodern cigarette plug!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-26-2016),WASABI (04-25-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    I've always wondered if you could brighten the ignition switch with a wire, and a good polish.

I had the Azaire ignition cover, and it made it nearly impossible to remove the key. I had to remove the "inner ring piece, so that it would work properly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-26-2016)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Proyea View Post
    Love the details Paul and the RM parts looks fantastic! I put one of Adam's stickers on the stock lighter which I love but now seeing all the burled aluminum goodness has got my eyes set on even more upgrades. Hmmm.. this pic also makes it pretty clear I probably also *need* Ken's ignition cover too

Yes, I "NEED" the ignition cover too.

Guess it could be polished but I like the clean look of RMs and don't mind spending a few bucks (when I have it) to help out a cool company.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quick update. Life has been busy...not much time or money for the Miata.

A local enthusiast has been parting out his Miata. He's kindly and patiently worked with me to trade/sell some me parts.

I have acquired from him:
    RB front sway bar w/ RB end links
    Boss Frog Frog Arms
    Raceland header
    Misc interior carpet and spare door cards (plan to use the door pockets on my door panels)

Already installed the front sway bar and end links and the Frog Arms. Car feels much better. Even shifts better somehow. No lie lol Car now has a bad 55-65 mph shimmy but that may be due to the fact that I swapped the tires front to rear.

My old turbo Miata had front and rear sway bars and RB end links so next on the list is to do rear sway bar and end links. I really missed that go kart feeling. The front bar has helped with tire rub too.

Now that my interior is just about where I want it (spare some expensive items that can wait) my focus is shifting toward chassis bracing and handling. Its about time I make this 26 yr old car feel young again.

Plan is to get the rear sway and end links, FM Shock Tower Brace, door bars, FM Frame Rails, butterfly brace etc.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-07-2016),NCGreasemonkey (06-06-2016),tsingson (06-13-2016)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    What size tag gas did you use?
    Sorry i missed this previously. They are both 5"×1.5" and i bought them off eBay thru a seller that does custom key chains with the font and word/name/etc(up to so many characters) you specify. Here is a pic of them installed for reference as far as size:

I still plan on getting them redone, these were just to see how i like them. I think the size is pretty much perfect for both function ad aesthetics.

There's your answer!! I had emailed him about it when I ordered the cigarette lighter plug. Only took a few minutes of sanding and adjusting to get it installed.
    The 'core' for the dimmer, is that the whole unit or? I have an earlier na6 unit that didn't have the green light filter and put a red bulb condem on the bulb so don't want to give mine up.

Nice additions Paul! I personally think chassis stiffening is one of the best improvements for the NA chassis especially. The fender braces, imo, made one of the most dramatic improvements overall including eliminating the last bit of cowl shake the Flyin Miata frame rails had greatly reduced.

There are a fair amount of chassis braces beyond the popular choices, the rear brace from Ken Auto is a intriguing piece but a little pricey, imo, at the current currency exchange rate.

Also the Raceland header, i have one on Warbird and one on my previous nb1, is a bargain header so be prepared for some fitment issues. The egr WILL NOT line up for one, i simply plugged them both...because race kar. On my nb1 it rubbed the trans tunnel, nothing a hammer didn't fix. On Warbird it is a little too close to the transmission bell housing and could have benefited from some angle grinder action but mine is also wrapped with DEI titanium wrap which isn't helping clearance but if there is contact it has kept it from making noise that i hsve discerned and I'm usually pretty keen on unusual noises.

It is a PAIN to drop in but if you loosen both motor mounts and jack up the motor, then tilt it up with the rear flange facing down...work it in while kind of twisting it to get it where it will reside. Next test fit and check clearances and resolve them before 'buttoning everything up' or you will more than likely have rattling from interference....ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 06-07-2016 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Header installation tips
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (06-10-2016),Paul B (06-10-2016),tsingson (06-13-2016)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Sorry i missed this previously. They are both 5"×1.5" and i bought them off eBay thru a seller that does custom key chains with the font and word/name/etc(up to so many characters) you specify. Here is a pic of them installed for reference as far as size:

I still plan on getting them redone, these were just to see how i like them. I think the size is pretty much perfect for both function ad aesthetics.

The 'core' for the dimmer, is that the whole unit or? I have an earlier na6 unit that didn't have the green light filter and put a red bulb condem on the bulb so don't want to give mine up.

Nice additions Paul! I personally think chassis stiffening is one of the best improvements for the NA chassis especially. The fender braces, imo, made one of the most dramatic improvements overall including eliminating the last bit of cowl shake the Flyin Miata frame rails had greatly reduced.

There are a fair amount of chassis braces beyond the popular choices, the rear brace from Ken Auto is a intriguing piece but a little pricey, imo, at the current currency exchange rate.

Also the Raceland header, i have one on Warbird and one on my previous nb1, is a bargain header so be prepared for some fitment issues. The egr WILL NOT line up for one, i simply plugged them both...because race kar. On my nb1 it rubbed the trans tunnel, nothing a hammer didn't fix. On Warbird it is a little too close to the transmission bell housing and could have benefited from some angle grinder action but mine is also wrapped with DEI titanium wrap which isn't helping clearance but if there is contact it has kept it from making noise that i hsve discerned and I'm usually pretty keen on unusual noises.

It is a PAIN to drop in but if you loosen both motor mounts and jack up the motor, then tilt it up with the rear flange facing down...work it in while kind of twisting it to get it where it will reside. Next test fit and check clearances and resolve them before 'buttoning everything up' or you will more than likely have rattling from interference....ask me how I know.
    Thanks for those tips! For the dimmer the RM ring doesnt effect the bulb at all. Just the new ring slips over the roller. Id like to do a light bulb condom in mine. Need more amber/red to match my revlimiter pieces.

Im currently debating what i should do to header. If i should try and clean it up and leave it? Probably difficult and too much work. Wrap it? Paint it? Paint it and wrap it? Idk.

With header install Ill probably do new motor mounts since these are 26 years old. Especially since ill loosen up those mounts anyway for fitment of header. Gotta get a new gasket too. maybe GS engine risers too.

To go along with with you said, the frog arms are great. Combined with the front sway and end links the front end feels tight and solid. Car picks up a bad shimmy around 55-65mph but that may be from tires being unevenly worn from camber (rears are now on fronts)

Now I'm really focused on making this car stiffer. Looking forward to a DIY door bar group buy and buying a rear sway and end links.

So MR, what motor mounts should I do? Car is street driven, 2-3 times a week for only 7 months out of the year. Future plans are to turbo car for fun driving. Maybe a track day our autocross in the far future.

Also, how do you all fee about ebay brand /obx /project g knock off pieces? Frame rails and butterfly braces and side skirts etc? Anyone use their coolant overflow tanks? Just wondering if saving $100-200+ on non-vital pieces is worth it. Or if i should follow my integrity bone and buy the real things (FM/project g/moroso etc)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (06-14-2016),tsingson (06-13-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    MSM mounts.

http://www.miataroadster.com/mazda/m.../i-465886.aspx

From what I've read they are stiffer than normal NA and NB mounts, but less so than Mazda Comp. mounts. I have them in my NA, and considering my stock mounts were both ripped in half, they're a vast improvement. Shifting has improved as well A friend who has had multiple NAs & NBs, along with having driven several more, commented on it being the best feeling 5-spd he's felt. Which is impressive considering my car's mileage (178k).

Same friend installed Mazda Comp. mounts in his 10AE and while the initial impression was great, he started to notice vibrations the car didn't have before, mostly at idle.

Not a fan of knockoffs... granted I run Chaparrals, so... yeah. Then again, everyone makes a copy/replica/knockoff of the original Minilites, and it's a little different since Minilites are only available in particular sizes/offsets. Anyways, after a troublesome clutch job thanks to an OBX header on another fellow's car, I hate those specifically.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (06-15-2016),Paul B (06-15-2016),tsingson (06-13-2016)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    MSM mounts.

http://www.miataroadster.com/mazda/m.../i-465886.aspx

From what I've read they are stiffer than normal NA and NB mounts, but less so than Mazda Comp. mounts. I have them in my NA, and considering my stock mounts were both ripped in half, they're a vast improvement. Shifting has improved as well A friend who has had multiple NAs & NBs, along with having driven several more, commented on it being the best feeling 5-spd he's felt. Which is impressive considering my car's mileage (178k).

Same friend installed Mazda Comp. mounts in his 10AE and while the initial impression was great, he started to notice vibrations the car didn't have before, mostly at idle.

Not a fan of knockoffs... granted I run Chaparrals, so... yeah. Then again, everyone makes a copy/replica/knockoff of the original Minilites, and it's a little different since Minilites are only available in particular sizes/offsets. Anyways, after a troublesome clutch job thanks to an OBX header on another fellow's car, I hate those specifically.
    thanks for the advise on the MSM mounts. Didn't know the MSM mounts were different. Sounds like exactly what this car needs as a replacement. My car only has 90k on it but 26 years old is 26 years old lol

As for knockoffs, just wondering if saving some money on things like the butterfly brace and frame rails, rear subframe brace etc by getting them from the ebay brand is worth it. My integrity says support the Miata specific shops, but budget pulls me the other way.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast