Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lascivious Laser Blue NB2

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2002 Laser Miata
    Thanks Given

The Lascivious Laser Blue NB2

Full Version: Start Here

This story starts off at IHOP 3 years before I ever even consider a Miata as my next chick magnet…yes I had pumpkin spice pancakes and yes they were delicious. My friends and I, to include Jamie, are talking about Miatas and different color options, each of us having our own opinion of what is the best color. One of us was in love with Laguna, while another lusted after Velocity Red…me you ask? I was not really in love with any color I had seen until Jamie mentions, “Well there is another color blue you may like but realistically you may never see one!”. Instantly I was hooked. My attention pans over to this little cell phone screen to see the most glamorous shot of an NB Miata in Laser blue. Even the name of the color intrigued me.

At this point it is worth mentioning that I was currently driving a 2013 Scion FRS and that I had never driven a Miata at it’s limits. So although the color was amazing to me…I am still not in the market for a Miata nor did I ever have any intention to be. The FRS was a great car! Out of the box it did all the right things. It looked great and had enough power to make the car fun without being too much. It had just enough power to power-oversteer but was also very much a momentum car. There was just one problem with the FRS…wait for it…it was 99% Subaru.

While many of the qualities of that car are very good there is one that did not live up to the hype and that was the FA20 engine. It sounded like my Husqvarna lawnmower when running and worse…it spun a rod bearing at 37k. This was of course takin care of by Toyota, whom installed a new short-block in the car but it’s reliability took a big hit for me. I no longer trusted the car and thus I slowly fell out of love with it. My attention now turned towards the engineering marvel that is the Honda S2000.

Abridged version: (but only slightly) Start Here

After looking for 7 months for an S2k and assessing the condition of some of these cars I was left feeling disappointed. It seemed the price per condition on the s2k market had risen beyond what I felt was reasonable until a friend found that diamond in the rough! The only drawback was that the car he found was a red s2k…not a Rio yellow. I was willing to concede the color for a nice s2k that had an attractive price. So I immediately call the poster and setup a time to come see the car the next day.

Things are looking up I thought. Until the next morning when we get ready to go and would you look at that….the FRS has a flat rear tire. Given that the car was 2.5 hrs away, mostly being interstate driving, I decided that we would just take the time to drop of the wheel and have it patched properly before we set sail. Of course this set our ETA back approx. 1.5 hrs which I communicated to the seller. We finally get the repaired wheel back just in time for the seller to text me that he sold the car AN HOUR AGO!!! He mentioned that somebody had texted him late in the evening, after he spoke with me, and said they would be there first thing in the morning to buy the car…it’s worth mentioning that this new player in the game is from 3 states over…yes I said 3 STATES OVER, effectively meaning that this gentleman had to drive all night long to be there to purchase the car that morning.

This only enraged me further. I was never even given the opportunity to be there before the allotted time set by the seller. In frustration I cursed the entirety of craigslist and the s2k market. In an attempt to boast my spirits my friend, scours craigslist for another car. He then stops and with a grin on his face asked “Have you given any further consideration to a Miata?”. Also worth mentioning is said friend is a Miata fanatic owning 3 or more himself while also owning an AP1 S2k. He asks knowing good and damn well what my response will be, and mimics my very response with his mouth…”Only if you find a Laser Blue Miata”. Still grinning he turns his phone towards me to reveal a completely stock and unmolested 2002 NB in Laser Blue which is listed as “dark blue” in the ad, and is only 2 hrs away.

Not only is it Laser Blue but it lacks Tupperware, still has factory top, and black interior. If there ever was a Laser Blue Miata that I would want it is this one. I think about it for about an hour all while my friend has takin the liberty of already asking when we could come see the car. I decide that I will at least look at the car and we schedule to go see it the very next day. The car was owned by an older wealthy man whom simply wanted a convertible that was a manual. He was selling it because he had a bad knee and his son didn’t like driving a manual.

Upon first inspection the car had some minor cosmetic flaws…nothing that was a deal breaker but far from perfect. Overall I would give it a 7 out of 10 for condition. Mechanically it seemed healthy and was otherwise a clean stock Miata. My friend and I drive it around for about an hour lol, all the while talking about what the car needs and what we think a good price for the car is. The seller was asking $6600 for the car…which as we all know would be a premium for even a Laser in excellent condition. We of course offer significantly less ($3400) and explain why by showing him the issues with the car. He of course immediately shakes his head and fires back with another offer which is still too high.

He does not seem to want to budge beyond this number so as a last ditch effort I throw more money at him. No Dice. My offer still was not enough. He mentions, in a very surprised voice, that he has a guy from Seattle who wants to fly in and see the car. I realize that he does not understand the rarity of the car he holds and I refuse to show my hand so I act equally surprised and let him draw his own conclusions about why someone would want to fly completely across the country to get this car. With my tail tucked between my legs we say our goodbyes and we go back home. I kept telling myself that the car just simply isn’t worth what he is asking but the idea of S2k hunting is equally daunting.

I think about it for the next 4 days before I come to the conclusion that I think a Laser Blue NB is much more interesting of a car than most of the S2ks I was looking at. Not to mention I would be saving a ton of money because even at the premium he was asking for the Laser…it was no where near the price of a beater S2k. So I pony up and call the seller back and tell him that I want the car and make my final offer which is only slightly lower than what he was asking for. He agrees and we went to pick up the car that weekend.

As a new Miata owner I felt it was important to drive the car as it was for a little while being bone stock. I wanted to decide what I thought the car would benefit from while also capturing my vision for the car. I had already decided that the car had to have a roll bar if I was going to be driving it so that was a given. Beyond that I was not sure what the car needed so I took it as it came. This is the build thread for Bulma aka 2002 NB Miata Laser Blue:

My Laser NB (2).jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    Last edited by R4bbit; 06-30-2019 at 03:14 PM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to R4bbit For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-30-2019),Bryan (07-03-2019),edizluv (06-27-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2020),HarryB (06-28-2019),JamieH (06-28-2019),kung fu jesus (06-27-2019),MaRcOp01o (06-27-2019),MiataQuest (06-28-2019),Paul B (06-28-2019),Phatmiata (07-02-2019),tsingson (06-27-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    This gonna be good. Glad to see you're making a build thread.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

R4bbit (06-30-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Welcome, and you are off to a great start! Let's see more!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

R4bbit (06-30-2019)

Drives
    2002 Laser Miata
    Thanks Given
    The Lascivious Laser Blue NB2:

Chapter 2: Blackbird GT3 Bar

As I said…if I was going to be driving this, it would require a rollbar installation. Even though it is a Laser blue Miata, I had no intention on taking it “easy” on the ol’ girl. So after a few months of ownership and a round of fluids everything seemed ok mechanically. It’s time to go rollbar shopping. I want everything to feel special on Laser without being too much or going over the top. So the typical goto, Harddog bar in black, was out.

The car would see some autoX and would possibly be seeing some road course work, although, I have yet to get too involved in organized racing events. It would, however, seem plenty of very spirited driving and mountain driving. After some research I decide that Laser must have a Blackbird GT3 rollbar. It looks great and I can order it in a powdercoat color of my choice which I decided on Bright Silver. Of course this also comes as a premium coming in at 3x the cost of a Harddog bar.

Now I just had to pony up the money for a Bright Silver Blackbird GT3 bar…After searching the forum FS post….I found one for sale at $1100 which would be a $400 savings for me. Whats the chances I thought. Of course it was to good to be true. To make a long story short, the seller backed out at the last second. Even worse, Blackbird Fab Worx had just raised the prices of their rollbars.

A person of sound mind would have just bought a Harddog and had it powdercoated the color of their choice, but that option did not occur to me at the time. All I could see in Laser was a GT3 bar. So I ordered directly from Blackbird within the week. I received the bar within 3 weeks. I also had Martha at Bethania to make me a rollbar pad. She was really nice to work with and VERY quick to make and ship padding and Leather hand-made cover to me. I may write a review on the bar and installation itself later.

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by R4bbit; 06-30-2019 at 04:16 PM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to R4bbit For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-30-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2020),HarryB (07-01-2019),JamieH (06-30-2019),MiataQuest (06-30-2019),Paul B (07-05-2019),tsingson (07-05-2019)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    What is “Bulma” derived from?

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    2002 Laser Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    What is “Bulma” derived from?
    I will likely cover that in the next post.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    nice miata!!! You got that rollbar in fast!!!! nice work!

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,399 Posts
    This I gotta see.

BTW...thumbs up on the CapCorp shirt!

Also: if you're interested in the MSM lip, let me know. If you make MATG I will even hand deliver it to you
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Don't wanna spoil anything, but I think you'll like his gauges.

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Don't wanna spoil anything, but I think you'll like his gauges.
    That'd make two LB's with custom gauges ;)

Drives
    2002 Laser Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    This I gotta see.

Also: if you're interested in the MSM lip, let me know. If you make MATG I will even hand deliver it to you
    I will def let you know if I can make it to MATG and about the MSM lip. I appreciate it!

Drives
    2002 Laser Miata
    Thanks Given
    The Lacivious Laser Blue NB

Chapter 3: Semi Custom Revlimiter Gauges and Car Name

So after the GT3 rollbar install…I was drowning in women. My wife, of course, could not appreciate all the attention I was getting and asked if I could turn down the sex appeal of the car. I tried the ol’ saying it’s not the car it’s the driver…which was only received with a sinster laugh and threat of bodily harm and dismemberment. Dismemberment not being covered under my health insurance I had to think fast. What could I possibly do to shake these heathen woman off of me? Then it occurred to me…what about me has always been received by women to be immature, childish, maybe even a little odd…my LOVE for anime. I grew up watching all kinds of anime of many different genres but one iconic title defined me more than the rest. DRAGONBALL!
    Now how can I incorporate Dragonball into my car I thought. Instantly I remembered one of the greatest benefits to becoming a Miata owner was the infinite amount of parts and customization in the aftermarket. However… this was a Laser Blue Miata…I can’t just go crazy. I don’t want to do anything too loud that would otherwise detract from its rare body color. How do I keep it classy but fun? I want Laser to be received as a nice car but I equally don’t want it to take itself too seriously. Custom Gauges from RevLimiter!!! I believe this to be an underrated “modification” as you literally stare at these things ALL the time. It can literally make the driving experience feel different and special.

Now I have to come up with a design that not only makes sense for the car but also adds some utility. I don’t want to go totally crazy with the design. After all I want the gauges to serve as “gauges” first while being aesthetically pleasing and fun second. I also know that I want the tach to stand out from the speedo. I instantly opt to have the tach background yellow with black lettering while having all other gauges have a black background with yellow lettering. It’s worth noting that I have a degree in Architecture and Graphic Design…which only means that I can design a bunch of options but I can never decide on what to move forward with so I just sit there for long periods of time sobbing for no apparent reason…just like I am now…trying to avoid a run on sentence…but I can’t decide where to place that one period. Ok there, I feel better.

The gauges are shaping up and I kinda have a Dragonball theme idea happening so what do I call this car. My first thought jumps to a character by the name of “Vegeta” because the color blue with the yellow accents on the gauges would resemble his uniform…but I can’t name this car after a dude. I just can’t do it. So my thoughts then turn to a favored character “Bulma” whom happens to be Vegeta’s wife in the series. I think to myself “Bulma Blue”…I don’t hate it. In fact I kinda like the name Bulma. Thus Laser was rebranded as “Bulma”. Now I have to finish the gauge design.

After naming Laser “Bulma”, I decided it would require a logo to really tie things together. Thus I whip-up a quick logo using typography as the driving design intention. I decide that the “Bulma” logo is going to be placed on the speedo but now I feel like I needed something on the tach. I still wanted to incorp. Vegeta into the car so I quickly drew an existing image of him that I found online, only modifying it slightly. This image would serve perfect on the tach.

All that is left to do is decide on the overall gauge design and submit my custom gauges to RevLimiter. After mauling over the many gauge offerings on Adam’s site…I decided on the “Warbird” gauge set. I did a quick mock up to send to Adam so that he knows exactly what I am asking for. Working with Adam was effortless. He does such good work and has excellent communication skills. He made the whole process very easy, while also offering up some suggestions that ultimately lead to making the gauges even better. I really appreciate his hard work! Did I mention I purchased these durings “Sharksgiving”?! Being swamped did not keep him from being prompt!

After receiving my gauges all I can say is wow…does Adam know how to package things or what! Everything was as it should be. I could barely contain my excitement and thus began the install the next day. The install was easy enough, most difficult part was modifying the existing cluster to help diffuse light across the gauge face. Of course I also opted to change the color of the needles and decided to add needle caps to finish it off. I will leave it “as-is” for now…but I think a KG Works Cluster may happen at some point in the future. I am very happy with how this turned out.

I know I may seem “long winded” but just know I feel like I could say so much more about most of these entries lol! Here are some pics:

Bulma Gauge 6.jpg

Bulma Gauge 4.jpg

Bulma Gauge 2.jpg

Bulma Gauge 3.jpg

Bulma Gauge 1.jpg

Bulma Decal.jpg

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to R4bbit For This Useful Post:

Bryan (07-05-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (04-10-2020),HarryB (07-05-2019),JamieH (07-05-2019),MiataQuest (07-05-2019),tsingson (07-05-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I would have never thought that a set of Warbirds would look so nice in this colourscheme, let alone with Dragonball characters on them; yet here I am thinking these look stunning!

Oh, and I really look up to your storytelling/writing skills!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

R4bbit (07-06-2019)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Very nice! I need to get some artsy shots of my Rev gauges (currently still one of a kind as far as I know).

Drives
    2002 Laser Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I would have never thought that a set of Warbirds would look so nice in this colourscheme, let alone with Dragonball characters on them; yet here I am thinking these look stunning!

Oh, and I really look up to your storytelling/writing skills!
    Thanks a lot! I actually had some friends that were skeptical as well...but I think seeing them installed and against the body color really pulled it all together. It's actually a quick read compared to what I actually went through to decide on the layout. I bet I looked through every pic Adam has on his site of custom gauges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast