Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Makkuro Eunos

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Hail the owner of my computer's background!

If in any of your quests for parts you come upon a KG black NA gauge face set PLEASE let me know. I bow to you that have learned the ways of the East and are gaining ground in your build with the knowledge.

Peace my fellow nut-case!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NCGreasemonkey For This Useful Post:

benpopham (02-16-2017)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts
    Yummy parts Ben! Cant wait to see these on your car, especially the HKS gauge! Very neat!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

benpopham (02-16-2017)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! benpopham's Avatar
    Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    So the last few months have been quite exciting with parcels arriving from Japan, I have been getting the hang of Yahoo auctions and finding a few interesting pieces. I also had another parcel from Tomoyo at Corn’s last week, here is the everything I received.

Tomoyo is the best

Last weekend I had a few hours break from work and decided to install some of the pieces that arrived. First up I pulled the interior apart and gave it all a vacuum out, its pretty clean, but couldn’t turn down the opportunity to get stuck in.

Then got busy installing my new Jet Stream short console and M2 (?) pedal covers

Everything was pretty straight forward to fit, although drilling the brake and clutch pedals for the covers gave me a little trouble but got there in the end. I painted the accelerator pedal black under the cover, it looked a little odd with the holes showing the silver pedal underneath. I have seen a few different types of these covers, but noted that most of the reproduction ones clip on instead of bolt on? Also these didn’t include the footrest cover, but that didn’t bother me too much.

The shorty console is awesome, the build quality is perfect, I can really appreciate the time and care taken in this piece. I matched it with some new Zoom gaiters from Corn’s as well and replaced the sound deadening underneath too. I am very pleased with the results and no more knocking my elbow on the pocket.

Another little project I have been working on is these two… Original Trust intercooler and ARC valve, I have had the intercooler ‘vapour blasted’ and then stencilled the Trust logo on it too. The ARC BOV has been stripped and cleaned too, It came with a hard pipe too, with an ARC cast logo on it too, so I’ll clean that up and hopefully can use it as well.

Thats about it for now, its got sunny again here in the UK, so the Eunos will be coming back out again this week.

Also I have another Corn’s parcel coming… with some new pipes
    Last edited by benpopham; 10-17-2017 at 04:55 PM.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-08-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (04-08-2017),HarryB (04-08-2017),JamieH (04-09-2017),Paul B (04-08-2017),speedypenguin (04-08-2017),ueru (04-08-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given

Yup, you're right. The Rev9 pedals "slip around" the brake pedal and clutch pedal, and are held into place by threading in bolts. I have the same pedals as you too (I was told that it was an OEM option direct from Mazda in Japan), and echo the same feelings you went through regarding drilling through the brake pedal and clutch pedal...

But the OEM metal pedal set is the nicest in my opinion, compared with other sets on the market. I appreciate the thickness of the metal, as other sets are thinner, and don't feel as substantial.
    Last edited by benpopham; 10-17-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (04-08-2017)

Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    It been a few months since I have had a chance to update this but its been a busy time, and there has been some great additions to my Roadster.

About 6 weeks ago I received a big parcel from Corn’s with one of their Ver. II exhaust systems. I have wanted one of these since owning the car, and have been very excited to get my hands on one. When I visited Corn’s last year and saw one of the latest versions of their exhausts and was impressed by the build qulaity, and the sound.. oh the sound. As I am sure you are all aware they sound just perfect.

I went with 60mm main pipe and 70mm tail, this is a tad large for a NA setup, but will suit my car just fine when the turbo engine is installed (some day soon). Everything was very well packed and Tomoyo san even included an old Mini Plus magazine as she knows I like Minis.

There is a few different ways to install the Ver. II exhausts, they come with a reducer that you can install different ways to tune the sound, but I was advised by them to use it without for now. Since the install I have driven around 600km with it and its just perfect, louder than my previous one and all the better for it. A little raspy when cold, and a nice rumble on tick over.

Next up, was a bargain I found on YAJ.

Type 1 Garage Vary bonnet.

I found this on YAJ in January, it was listed as a Mazda FC bonnet, and had very few pictures. I was convinced it wasn’t for an FC, they have pop up lights and the light lids are a very similar shape to the NA but slightly different. It also said it was damaged, but didn’t show too much damage in the pictures.

Most importantly it was 4800yen (£30) I had to have it, whats the worst that could happen? I had it sent to a friend in Tokyo, and after months of organising shipping it was here. Lots of bubble wrap, it survived the trip well.

It was straight out of the packing and on the car, it was for an NA! After that I started assessing the damage, it looks like it has been in a crash but I expected that. I run a carbon fibre company, so repairing it shouldn’t be an issue. All the shapes are still correct, but the inner skin was smashed across the front 15cm.

I cut the inner skin off just passed where the damage stopped, cleaned up the cracks, taped the pieces back together and used some glass and epoxy to laminate it all back together again, this also helped fill in any of the missing pieces. After that I was able to clamp the repaired piece back on to the bonnet and bond it back in. The surface of the cracks inside will all be gelcoat repaired and then painted to match the yellowed clear gelcoat colour inside.

The bonnet would originally have had the metal latch bonded into it, but it looks to have been torn out when it was crashed. I want to use the original latch instead of pins so I need to get hold of one. I emailed Corn’s and asked if they could get an original latch from Garage Vary and they can. Tomoyo san said she spoke to the boss of Garage Vary at the Karuizawa meeting, and that Garage Vary would love to help me restore one of their bonnets.

So at the moment I am about half way through restoring the type 1 bonnet, and it feels great to be bringing it back to life, I like that it has been used and has been around for a long time. It will be nice to see it back to its former glory, and I am proud to own one.

Other than that, I have another big parcel coming from Japan, and I moved house last week. busy time!

Last edited by benpopham; 10-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (05-30-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (05-30-2017),HarryB (05-30-2017),MiataQuest (05-31-2017),MLambert19 (06-04-2020),oldgrayleather (05-30-2017),Paul B (05-31-2017),ueru (06-12-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benpopham View Post
    It been a few months since I have had a chance to update this but its been a busy time, and there has been some great additions to my Roadster.
    Great update Ben! My eyes may be deceiving me but it looks like you might have scored one of the very rare GV hoods that doesn't have the power bulge?

Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Great update Ben! My eyes may be deceiving me but it looks like you might have scored one of the very rare GV hoods that doesn't have the power bulge?
    It does have the power bulge, they are very subtle on the type 1 bonnets I think, but under the matt black paint, its definitely there.

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Congrats on the move Ben! Moving is always a pain in the ass!
    4800 yen for a GV type 1 bonnet is dirt cheap! Amazing find mate. Cant wait to see it fully restored and on the car. I find it extremely cool that Garage Vary were willing to help you restore the bonnet. Only in Japan...
    You're making me want a Corns VerII exhaust too! It looks so good and sounds really nice too from your video clip!

Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Another parcel of pieces arrived a few days ago from Japan, with a few bits for my Eunos and Classic Mini project.

Amongst it was this little 52mm Greddy boost gauge, ok.. I quite like buying gauges. I have more than I will use, but this one is cool. It lights up green the same as the rest of my interior and matches the Greddy/Trust turbo bits I have been collecting. Its old and in perfect condition too. I am trying to find a neat way of mounting it, I have never liked the look of them in the air vent holes, it looks out of place. I am considering one of Garage Vary's panels that mounts it on top of the gauge hood.

Also this master cylinder brace, it was a couple of yen, honestly just a bargain. Does any one know what the manufacturer is? There isn't any markings. It also came with a spacer to mount on the other side if you are using a strut brace.

Last edited by benpopham; 10-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-08-2017),ueru (06-12-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Is that brace cast? Looks like it! First time I see something like that but looks well thought out

Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Yes it is cast, its quite a chunky piece.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

HarryB (06-09-2017)

Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    In a bid to cool down the inside of my car I have been tinkering. I removed the heat shield above the cat and covered it in gold heat reflective foil. I use this stuff on a lot of carbon at work and its excellent stuff.

While I was under there I replaced all 8 of the M6 bolts that hold on both the heat shields under the car with brand new ones from Mazda.

I haven’t driven the car since doing this so, not sure of the results yet, but hopefully it will cool the transmission tunnel down a bit on hot days!

Last edited by benpopham; 10-17-2017 at 05:09 PM.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benpopham For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (06-22-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (06-21-2017),HarryB (06-21-2017),JamieH (06-22-2017),oldgrayleather (06-21-2017),Paul B (06-21-2017),Slampen (06-22-2017),speedypenguin (06-21-2017),ueru (06-22-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    What brand of tape do you use? Plan to cover my tunnel above the gearbox in ThermoTec adhesive heat barrier when doing my clutch, but this seems like a good idea as well.

Drives
    Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    What brand of tape do you use? Plan to cover my tunnel above the gearbox in ThermoTec adhesive heat barrier when doing my clutch, but this seems like a good idea as well.
    I use the DEI 'reflect-a-gold'. Its not too expensive and works well. I made a carbon heat shield for the top of the exhaust manifold years ago and covered it in this and its worked perfectly for a long time.

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by benpopham View Post
    I use the DEI 'reflect-a-gold'. Its not too expensive and works well. I made a carbon heat shield for the top of the exhaust manifold years ago and covered it in this and its worked perfectly for a long time.
    Same thing I used for under the bonnet/hood!

When I change my exhaust I think I'll do the same

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

benpopham (06-23-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (06-24-2017)

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast