Thread: 1991 New Owner

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

Exclamation 1991 New Owner

So, I'm a new owner of a miata, 1991 painted black. Bought it with 108,xxx miles and I've come across a problem that I'm getting really worried about.

I turn the key to start and my oil pressure gauge shows that it has pressure. When I start the car up however the Oil Pressure Gauge shows that there's low pressure or none whatsoever. I haven't a clue on what to do.

miata on.jpgmiata start.jpg

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    Thats not a 1991 cluster….
    It doesn't have a real oil pressure gauge.
    That is more of a idiot light with a needle.
    1992 BnT, 93LE #737, 94M, 95M, 96M, 97PEP, and a few 90s

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    if that's the case, then should i be worried that when the car is running, it doesn't show pressure whatsoever?

Idling - Listen to it purr... Lobster70's Avatar
    Drives
    Classic Red 1997
    Thanks Given
    I would be worried. You know the gauge at least receives some input because you see it move when you start it. Find out what is going on.

Rogue says that is not a 1991 cluster. For what it's worth, it is also not a 1997 cluster. My '97 has the dummy gauge. When on, the needle is closer to vertical, probably a little to the right of vertical if I recall.

All I can say is if you have a dummy gauge, it is different from my dummy gauge. Did they have more than one style? I thought there were just the two, early actual oil pressure gauge ('90-94) and later dummy gauge ('95 and later).

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Makes me wonder if its not the correct cluster if it was done to hide actual miles on the car.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JLBMX5 For This Useful Post:

flooglemop (02-16-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    '92 black & Tan Miata
    Thanks Given
    Yup. It's easy to hide the mileage by just purchasing a different cluster with lower miles. That's definitely not the original gauge cluster.

Drives
    Classic Red 1997
    Thanks Given
    Why do you say it is definitely not original? Not arguing as much as asking since I'm less familiar with the NA6. But this CL listing has what looks like the identical cluster, and it doesn't look to be non-original. Looks identical to the OP's image.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5450929319.html
    91cluster.jpg

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mazdabp26's Avatar
    Drives
    RoadStar!
    Thanks Given
    If you look at the oil gauge it has numbers, which represent how much pressure. The one he has only has High or low, in other word On or Off. if he is a 91, and he should have a real Pressure gauge. But has that dummy Gauge. he possibly got played. 95 is when they started installing dummy gauge. Converted mine to 94 guage. Jonnay you need to find a 89-94 gauge. This will definitely will throw off your "reading " with that. Since I am assuming, it is still using the Actual Oil pressure sensor. Not the on/off Type

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mazdabp26 For This Useful Post:

Lobster70 (02-17-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Depending on your location. Just run down to the local parts house. Pick up a oil pressure tester. Grab a fitting that will mate the tester to the OE sender port and see what she reads both cold and hot. If it ever goes below 7 psi idling, worry. If it drops when you tach it up after warming it up, worry. Hold it around 2-2500 RPM for a few minutes and if it doesn't drop out from the 30's range you should be good. But get a real, pre-'95 gauge and sender. JMO
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Drives
    Classic Red 1997
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazdabp26 View Post
    If you look at the oil gauge it has numbers, which represent how much pressure. The one he has only has High or low, in other word On or Off. if he is a 91, and he should have a real Pressure gauge. But has that dummy Gauge. he possibly got played. 95 is when they started installing dummy gauge. Converted mine to 94 guage. Jonnay you need to find a 89-94 gauge. This will definitely will throw off your "reading " with that. Since I am assuming, it is still using the Actual Oil pressure sensor. Not the on/off Type
    Duh! I knew I was missing something. Thanks! So they must have had the silver gauge rings in 95. I like the silver rings, but my 97 is all black. I know Mazda was going through tough financial times in the mid- to late-90s, so maybe that somehow saved some money.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mazdabp26's Avatar
    Drives
    RoadStar!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster70 View Post
    Duh! I knew I was missing something. Thanks! So they must have had the silver gauge rings in 95. I like the silver rings, but my 97 is all black. I know Mazda was going through tough financial times in the mid- to late-90s, so maybe that somehow saved some money.
    The First gen miata that went through financial issue would sadly be "drum rolls" STO edition .. Stuffs Taken Out.