Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How my 2016 Mazda Miata MX-5 has ruined cars for me (Read last paragraph first long).

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given

How my 2016 Mazda Miata MX-5 has ruined cars for me (Read last paragraph first long).

It all started simply enough. I saw it, usually that is all it takes for me to determine whether I am going to own an automobile or not. Most of the time it is in the flash. The 2016 Mazda MX5 was the first vehicle I ever saw where I knew I was going to own one before I ever saw it in person. I was sucked in. I read every article. I hounded multiple dealerships on pricing. The model hadn’t even been in the United States 3 months and I was on the prowl. I had just finished paying off my 2014 Ford Fusion Energi. I knew it was dumb to buy another new car when the warranty wasn’t even off the old one.

I was limited on dealerships it had to be in the state of Louisiana (if you are a Louisiana resident you only pay tax on the difference between the price of the new car and the agreed in trade in price. I had shopped my car to three different dealerships. 2 in person 1 down in New Orleans which is a 5 hour drive for me. The dealership down in New Orleans Paretti Mazda offered me at LEAST 16,000 for my car unseen because of its young age and the fact it was still under factory warranty. It seems like a low offer but it was 500 and 1000 above the other 2 dealerships so I knew it was probably the best offer I was going to get. The price of the new car was already locked in because I used Truecar to settle on what I thought was a fair price. I put a thousand dollars down and when the 2016 Club Miata came into the port of New Orleans I went down there to pick it up. This is when things started to go downhill.

When I got to the dealership after driving 350 miles I felt confident with the situation. I came out of the dealership with the worst car buying experience of my life (did I mention this is the 17th car I have owned?). I get to the Mazda Dealership and they look at my trade in while I drool all over my new MX5. When the numbers come back from the manager they don’t match up. He used every excuse from the mileage (they knew I would be driving my car until the new one came in and we agreed on a higher mileage figure then it was before I came down) to the fact that it was electric and electric cars just aren’t in right now (well I don’t think the motors had changed either before we agreed on a price). The offer was 2500 less than the offer we agreed upon over the phone (I should have kept everything in writing, the things you learn after working with people like this). They come back with 500 more. Then another 500 more. I asked if they were willing to give a refund on the deposit given the situation. I had put it down on a Saturday and I was there on a Monday so the car was only off the floor for a day. They said no they were keeping the deposit. So I decide to walk out. As I am walking out the Cody the salesperson runs up to my car and asks if the difference is really going to break the deal (Of course it is! 1500 less is a lot of money!). They put another 1000 onto the total price of the trade. The numbers come out 500 less than they would have been if I had just went through Moffitt in my hometown but I am wore out and I know they aren’t going to give me the thousand back so I take the deal. While we are finishing up the deal they ask if I have the second key to the car. I reply that I am sure I do but I would have to go home and look for it. If I find it I will mail the key down to them so they can have both of them.

Less than 2 weeks later I start getting harassing phone calls about the second key. I was busy getting ready to move to a new state because of a new job I had been offered and I hadn’t really had a chance to look for it (everyone knows what a pain it is to switch jobs and move across the country). I end up getting a nasty voicemail from the salesman (Cody Jones) about how they were going to charge me 500 dollars for the key unless I get it to them immediately. This is when the situation went from annoying to red hot for me! I am doing you a favor even looking for the key there isn’t anywhere in our contract that says I HAVE to provide 2 keys and you are threatening me that I will be out money if I don’t get you the key?!? Fortunately I hadn’t sent in my dealership review to Mazda yet. You can bet you ass I did that day. I get a phone call from the owner of the dealership. I explained the whole situation to him. At least he was understanding and very apologetic. The key was never brought up again but the whole thing has left such a bitter taste in my mouth. I still get heated every time I think about it. Shoot the dang car didn’t even come with an inspection sticker which cars aren’t even supposed to leave the lot without but you don’t see me going after them for it (I used to sell cars in Louisiana so I know they are supposed too)!

The car buying experience finally over I think everything is going to be smooth sailing from here on out. Before I move I get the car plastic dipped to protect the paint because I am moving to West Texas. I don’t know if you have ever been out here but the conditions are terrible for a new car sandstorms, big semis, and horrible roads. Before the car is dipped the owner of the shop points out that there is wear on the top. It looks like it has been rubbing up against something. Nothing having to do with the protective coating I tell him to go ahead and proceed. When I move to Midland, Texas I put warranty ticket in to get the top fixed at the beginning of January. They fix the top on the 19th of January. Before I even drive it off the lot I notice additional damage to the top that shouldn’t have been there (it was from the install). They get the parts in and fix it properly. Before I can even drive the car off the lot I notice the top is getting wear marks in the same spots it did on the original top. I point it out to the Dealership (Midland Mazda) and the dealership says they will put in another warranty ticket to Mazda. A month goes by and no word from Mazda. I contact Mazda care to see what is taking so long. When I am on the phone with Mazda care they assure me that they are looking into the issue and will fix it soon. When I go by Mazda of Midland today (4/12/2016) they said Mazda is looking into the issue and that they think it is the plastic dip causing it. They claim that Mazda says that the dip might be running onto the back of the top causing wear.

So here I am now with a brand new car where the only modifications done to the car are to protect it. If Mazda treats its customers like this over warranty work where am I going to get the other issues fixed that will and have invariably popped up?! I am still stuck with a car that when it says 0 gallons left there are at least 2. A vehicle that can’t fit more than 11.2 gallons in the tank even though it says it comes with an 11.9 gallon tank. With brakes that pulse randomly like rotors are warped but they aren’t (after getting the club edition because it came with the Brembo brakes). My car already has 22,500 miles on it. It will be out of warranty in 2 or 3 months. What would everyone else recommend I do? I am basically driving a new car that gives me more worries than any used vehicle I have ever owned and this is coming from an owner with tons of experience with European cars (I mean how many o2 sensors can a car really have?).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smyb1953 For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (04-13-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    That was a long first post. Sad to hear about your experience.

Welcome here.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Impressed on how frustrating an car buying experience can be. It is sad that most of this is not due to the car itself. However, even if issues arise, I believe that the experience of driving a canyon road with the top down cannot be compared to anything; so I would stick with it!

P.S. The brake issue sounds like ABS is kicking in, does this happen under normal braking as well?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-13-2016)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Wow hate to hear this.................

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Was it a clear plastidip? Could you just peel it off and show that it is wearing anyways?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smyb1953 View Post
    So here I am now with a brand new car where the only modifications done to the car are to protect it. If Mazda treats its customers like this over warranty work where am I going to get the other issues fixed that will and have invariably popped up?! I am still stuck with a car that when it says 0 gallons left there are at least 2. A vehicle that can’t fit more than 11.2 gallons in the tank even though it says it comes with an 11.9 gallon tank. With brakes that pulse randomly like rotors are warped but they aren’t (after getting the club edition because it came with the Brembo brakes). My car already has 22,500 miles on it. It will be out of warranty in 2 or 3 months. What would everyone else recommend I do? I am basically driving a new car that gives me more worries than any used vehicle I have ever owned and this is coming from an owner with tons of experience with European cars (I mean how many o2 sensors can a car really have?).
    Welcome to the site.

What I suggest you do is document your issues with Mazda directly.

As someone who professes their knowledgeable experience buying cars, you fell for a lot of dealership pitfalls right out of the gate.

As for your issues with the car, you also have to put some of that blame on yourself. Every first-year of each generation of the Miata has historically been the most problematic.

If you put 22.5k miles on a new car, new model, in less than a year and complain about a warranty, that is poor planning on your part. Fuel gauges run pessimistic in most cars. Brake rotors warp, we don't know how you drive. The top would concern me, but again, new model, don't know your behaviors. It seems an experienced car buyer and owner would have either considered an extended warranty or waited to see what the bugs were on the new model.

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I know I am building trying to find other people with similar problems. I feel like this issue with the wear on the top is going to be a common issue like it was with the 1st generation S2000. This will be the third time the top has been replaced. I think I am Just running into it more quickly than everyone else because I average 5000 miles a month on this car.

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have been documenting everything with Mazda so far. The car buying experience really did throw me for a loop though. There aren't many large dealers that pull things like the issue with the keys or such a large gap in the trade price without justification today. I might have expected it 10 years ago but with so much information online negative feedback can really blow back on them. I am not complaining about the warranty, I am complaining about their lack of progress in honoring it. I know there are going to be pitfalls with any new model year (the 2000 Audi TT comes straight to mind man that thing...) I just think a problem that occurred 4 months ago that they have had three chances to fix shouldn't happen. I feel like at this point they are going to put it off until the car is almost out of warranty fix it one more time and when it appears again not honor it even though it was something documented before the first three months of ownership. Really what I am trying to find out if anyone else has been having the same issues with the top. The gauge thing drives me crazy put is something I can live with and the brake problems are just weird. It feels like the rotors are warped but it doesn't do it 90% of the time. It isn't an ABS issue... It's either hoping it happens when I happen to be by the dealership so they can see or waiting until the problem gets worse.

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Its a white plastic dip and it was never sprayed on the top. Only directly on the body panels. To top it off I have photos of the damage before the dip was sprayed on and the damage to the second top occurred months after the dip job was put on. How the Service manager explained it to me was: "Mazda thinks that the dip might be sliding off the car maybe in the rain or something and causing a chemical reaction that weakens the top in only two places..." It sounded like of like grasping straws or aluminum hat wearing even for me and I have said some pretty off the wall things, haha

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Oh I have really enjoyed the road trippin' in it so far. I took it from New Orleans to San Francisco back down to Shreveport via 66 and hwy 1 for part of the way! The braking thing isn't like a ABS pulse. Its odd it happens randomly only during light or regular braking. Hard braking you won't notice it at all. I can't really blame them for not finding it though because it just doesn't happen that much.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    It may be best to start a thread in ND section, titled something like "ND owners, share your experiences and issues". That may garner a focused attention from other owners and other problems to watch for.

The only issue I have heard about is the ECU on the ND pulling back on the engine if the oil gets hot, like on a track or hard driving situation. More of a self-preservation action by the car than a fault.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (04-13-2016)

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks I will do that with a more abbreviated post with photos. I am seeing quite a feel people with the same top issue on other forums so at least I know it isn't a "plastic dip issue"

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I didn't notice I was already in the ND forum. Anyway this is a photo of the damage prior to the plastic dip after 2 months of ownership. 1.jpgimagejpeg_1.jpg

Drives
    2016 Miata
    Thanks Given
    This is what plastic dip looks like, it has nothing to do with the top. 1508036_779029113851_2854756749031311432_n.jpg12309976_784075011831_5627121325690660421_o.jpg

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Apologies.

That spot is where the top folds on itself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast