Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The EUNOS MANTICORE SPECIAL EDITION build

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    I want to say the "blingy" sides. But I don't know of anyone that has made chrome trim rings for the CM LED rears. GM2K might know if they are out there. Without the matching trim for the rears I'll have to say clear sides. JM2C.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I prefer clear, but really just do what tickles you more on the inside! ;)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    this thread is full of much win!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-23-2016)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts

EUNOS MANTICORE SPECIAL EDITION build

DECISION TIME

The Manticore platform team scheduled a meeting to decide if the side markers should be stock, clearsies, or bling.
    The team invited our retired Global Product Development Manager “Maximum Bob” to lead the meeting.
    Our consultant will also attend since his contract is up for renewal and he wants us to think he actually does something.

Bob noted that the preliminary poll results were in…
    * Consultant – Retro Bling, I pity the fool that don't vote for bling.
    * MazdaRoadster Car Clinic – Clearsies, because they tickle your insides.
    * CEO (wife) - Stock, why change a perfectly good car.

Having no conclusive data to make a decision Bob asked some of the platform team members for their opinions…
    * Donald – Clearsies, let’s make Manticore great again!
    * Marco - Retro Bling, you know what they say about smaller lens! Pass me some water.
    * Bernie – Stock, all special edition accessories should be free!
    * Hillary – I don’t know, maybe we could mix them all together to make everyone happy!

With that Bob throws this out on the table.

Ohhh, Ahhh the platform team exclaimed while passing around the clear third brake light!
    The team asks, "Where did you get that?"
    Bob replied, "From our supplier Moss Miata. So it looks like it's a done deal, clearsies all around!”

Needless to say our consultant did not share in our enthusiasm.
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 06-17-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Pour righting skillz

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Fishbulb (06-21-2016),HarryB (06-17-2016),NCGreasemonkey (06-17-2016),Phatmiata (06-17-2016)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    I pity the fool that dont tint them gold

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    I took my clear LED CHMSL and swapped over the stock red lens.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Hilarious build thread. Sub'd.

Miatas were Sally cars when I lived there, didn't care - still moved away.

Drives
    Thanks Given

The EUNOS MANTICORE SPECIAL EDITION build

KEEPING YOUR COOL

The Powertrain group just sent out an urgent meeting request to have an online session with the Manticore platform team.
    The invitation was titled “Houston we have a problem” and the meeting was scheduled in 30 minutes.
    Generally we like these online meetings as they typically involve coffee & donuts, but this meeting could be a whole different flavor.

30 minutes later...
    The online meeting is scheduled for now and not a single person is in the conference room!
    Where is everyone?
    What could be more important?

Darn it, have I.T. turn off the wireless! That will get them in here.

Now that everyone is here let’s log into that online meeting.
    Click! Darn, the software wants to do an upgrade before we can join in!
    OK, I guess we can dial into the phone conference while the software upgrade finishes.
    Dialing… Where is that bleeping conference code number?

POWERTRAIN TEAM: Beep…Who just joined?
    PLATFORM TEAM: Hello, hello, hello? Oops the mute button is on! Platform team here.
    POWERTRAIN TEAM: Your background noise is loud! What is that?
    PLATFORM TEAM: Aahh nothing, that’s just our overhead projector. (Pssst, turn down that Miata track video)
    POWERTRAIN TEAM: How’s the weather over there?
    PLATFORM TEAM: We are just two miles apart!
    POWERTRAIN TEAM: Right! We always ask that question when we are on a conference call. Hey, do you have that online meeting fired up yet? We want to share our screen with you.
    PLATFORM TEAM: Joining now if we can get through all the collaboration tutorial screens.

We finally connect with the Powertrain group and this is what we see on the projector screen.

The Powertrain group went on to inform us that the under-hood temperatures are running way too high! They say if not addressed properly we will have all kinds of catastrophic field failures and warranty claims. Ultimately this problem could impact our first place dependability ratings at J.D. Power.

The platform Quality manager interjects; “JD Power will lower the rating of our vehicle more for bluetooth connectivity issues than a drivetrain failure! Maybe we should focus on improving our in-car infotainment system rather than messing with the cooling? Look how Ford dropped because of Sync and My-Ford Touch. Note that J.D. Powers ranks Zee Germans higher even with their cooling system failures.”

Well, we can’t just work on J.D. Power priorities. The team must make sure that every Manticore system performs to the highest standard within the confines of our budget. So let’s initiate a new cooling system project and assign someone to lead this effort.
    We need someone that has in-depth knowledge of automotive systems and dynamics while having a keen sense of automotive design.

I think I know just the right guy for the job if he will accept.

Last edited by MiataQuest; 07-18-2016 at 04:58 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (10-10-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Your threads are nuts. Keep me looking!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Drives
    Thanks Given

The EUNOS MANTICORE SPECIAL EDITION build thread

VENTING IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL

Mr J has agreed to accept our challenge to solve our under-hood cooling issue. He accepted the assignment with the understanding that he has full access to our engineering resources. He also wants the freedom to propose an overall design scheme to make Manticore a unique factory limited edition model.

The first thing he wants to do is perform an aerodynamic evaluation of Manticore to determine where the high and low pressure regions of the car are to create adequate under-hood air flow. At the same time consider what aero and visual enhancements could be added.

So Mr. J put in a request for some wind tunnel time.
    Darn, the wind tunnel was booked for 2 weeks for a project from another platform team. The team said the project was high priority and they could not fit us into their timeline.
    They said it was an important project for upper management.

Mr J decided to tap one of our top suppliers named “Flyin Miata” to get a head start on solving our under-hood cooling issue. He knew Flyin Miata had previously performed some related testing and they were willing to share the data with Mr J while offering solutions. Since they did not have an NDA with us they would share the data with Mr J in person.

So he booked a flight out to Denver.
    Off to Detroit Metro airport to enjoy the glamorous life of travel. I am sure the entire Manticore team was envious.

Mr J finally arrives in Colorado and is ready for the long drive. At least he can pick any car in the aisle with all those travel points he has!

Soon Mr J was on his way!
    Upon arrival at Flyin Miata he was greeted by a friendly and knowledgeable staff.
    After touring the facility, Flyin Miata presented the results of their testing:

Mr J decides to distract them with some free Manticore mugs while sneaking in a picture of the hood pressures on his cell phone.

Flyin Miata informed Mr. J that they already had an engineered solution that was in stock.

Flyin Miata asked Mr. J what he thought of their proposed solution.

Aaaaahh, very functional! Very functional indeed! Mr. J did agree that the solution would work, however the vents were a bit cosmetically challenged.

Back to Detroit Metro via the friendly skies.

After returning to the Detroit office, Mr. J thought he could tap his old friend Mr. Ed that had recently retired from leading the GM global design operations. He may be able to offer his design insights while checking what obsolete inventory or tooling may still be available.

Mr. Ed was very excited to hear about another project of Mr. J’s as they both had a keen eye for clean automotive design. Ed was willing to provide the necessary support to help Mr. J’s pull together his project.
    As they waxed nostalgia of the golden age of automobiles, Ed remembers a not so memorable Pontiac Turbo Sunbird project.
    “I’ve got it” says Ed. “The J-body FWD platform team had designed a very stylish and functional hood vent system for an awful four-cylinder Sunbird turbo program. The hood vents were actually better than the what the RWD F-body platform team could come up with for the Trans Am. The F-body platform team did not want the same vents as the lowly Sunbird. Needless to say, the Sunbird Turbo was not a sales success. The hood vent production quantity greatly exceeded the vehicle demand and yielded all kinds of excess obsolete inventory. Instead of scrapping the hood vents, they were hidden in a warehouse with the hopes of adding them to a future model. That never happened. They are still sitting in that warehouse many years later. You could buy those hood vents for pennies on the dollar!”

Mr J said “Great, now I have another key component that will influence the design direction of the Manticore.
    I can envision installing the hood vents in a contrasting color located in a low pressure region. Then add some body striping in the same color as the vents. The body striping could be configured to accentuate the existing body lines of the car.
    Hmmmm, let’s do a quick mock-up to see what it could look like.”

Yes!

Last edited by MiataQuest; 08-25-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Celebrity voice impersonated

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MiataQuest For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (08-25-2016),kung fu jesus (08-25-2016),NCGreasemonkey (08-27-2016),oldgrayleather (08-25-2016),Phatmiata (10-10-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I've long wanted a set of custom louvers in my hood made by Stevan ("Rogue"). I just need to drive my sorry ass to Dallas to get it done.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Hello my feathered friend! (I just assume that you have feathers for some reason.)

I'm actually just down in Toledo. I think you're the closest to me I've seen on this board yet!
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Closed as per MiataQuest due to Photobucket destroying the thread. New thread will be put up by MiataQuest. Stay tuned for link to new thread!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Martin (07-20-2017),oldgrayleather (07-20-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12