Thread: 2004 NB (B6ZE) question

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

2004 NB (B6ZE) question

Hello, my name is Rich. I'm currently in germany and am about to purchase a 2004 NB with 1.6l (euro spec). I've owned a 1991 (u.s. spec) with the same engine. My question is, are these engines identical or what are differences? Will parts from a NA 1.6 fit and work on a NB 1.6? I searched the forums and closest post I could find was this thread http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....841#post168841

I appreciate the replies and look forward to soaking up as much information on this forum as possible. Thanks.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given

2004 NB (B6ZE) question

The '91 uses afm, where the euro-spec B6 in NBs uses a MAF. The CAS is in the intake cam for the NB. The '91 has hydraulic lifters, and the NB has solid lifters. These are some differences i remember.

Maybe HarryB can shed some more light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RustRat For This Useful Post:

richrawks (05-08-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I know for sure that the CAS is different, not only in location but also in operating principle. Intake and throttle body are different too; however intake manifold and exhaust manifolds should be interchangeable (if they do not interfere with anything chassis-related) as their gaskets are the same from 89-05. So does the cam cover gasket, therefore I believe that the head is the same sans the solid lifters. I also know for sure that alternators are totally different.

Out of curiosity, what parts are you looking of transferring over?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

richrawks (05-08-2016)

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    I wasn't planning on swapping anything. However, if I were to buy aftermarket parts, I wanted to know if I could purchase aftermarket parts from a U.S. vendor for a NA B6ZE. For example, an aftermarket intake, a NA B6ZE probably woudn't fit on a NB B6ZE if the throttle body is different. Thanks for the replies.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I don't know if this will help, but I was under the impression that the NB 1.6 engine was a BP block and head. I have not seen nor laid hands on one. If that is true, US 1.6 parts would not be applicable.

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the info.. I'll have to do some research. There is a vast difference in the pricing of U.S. parts vs Euro and I'm just trying to balance out the car a little bit, power wise. I'm planning on tracking this at the nurburgring for the next 4 years. I'm hoping to get a power/weight ratio between 15 and 20.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    NA and NB euro-spec engines share the shame block. I was about to buy a spare block from an NB to rebuild my NA engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the info all, sounds like I would just have to purchase euro spec aftermarket intake and I can go american spec on the exhaust. Wasn't planning on going FI. Just want a lil more hp to balance any suspension upgrades.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Do not expect much in an NA engine though; especially on 1.6. Mazda did a decent job on the exhaust manifold and the intake to be honest. Dunno what's to be had with cams and higher compression though. An aftermarket ECU would also be a good investment, given that most probably fuel consumption will go down (if programmed right)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

jux (05-10-2016)