Thread: Close call! Glad to have a dash cam!

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts

pictfilm Close call! Glad to have a dash cam!

I was cruising around today and came upon an intersection which always raises my hairs and sure enough, a dipshit almost caused me to either T-bone him or get smashed head-on with incoming traffic. I was lucky that the truck was turning right. I'm sure if an accident had happened, I would have been to blame for running a red (when it was clearly green) or veering out of my lane into oncoming traffic.

I'm just glad to have a full-time dash cam to prove my innocence and now I'm even more motivated to finally install my rear cam as well. The only drawback I can tell is that the camera is so wide angled that it looks like I had plenty of time which I didn't and the mic didn't record a little tire screeching. The Civic can sure stop very well! Also featured is my aftermarket, dual blaster horns which came through loud and clear in the closed, air conditioned cabin. It might not mean much but at least dipshit knows how very close he came to paying for my Caribbean cruise and him taking a taxi to work for a couple years.

Bonus content: Not ten minutes later, another close(ish) call but that dude was a fossil and this happens all the time in FLA. Slow speed misjudgment and not really a close call but still good to know the new horns are picked up on hearing aids:

No todo que es oro brilla.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (05-18-2016)

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    I've been considering doing that for my miata. Can you suggest a good camera? Glad you weren't hurt!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willywongka For This Useful Post:

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    There is a front plate. Good lighting on the driver's face during their turn. And you have the better resolution video to zoom in. Take it to the local authorities and let them cite this jack-arse! Glad it was a near-miss and the truck following them was turning!
    Last edited by NCGreasemonkey; 05-18-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Corrected my there to their.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    I've been considering doing that for my miata. Can you suggest a good camera? Glad you weren't hurt!
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....6&goto=newpost

We have had a short review on two.
    ... Rick

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    Thanks! But this happens ALL the time. It's why I wanted to mount a permanent dash cam in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGreasemonkey View Post
    There is a front plate. Good lighting on the driver's face during their turn. And you have the better resolution video to zoom in. Take it to the local authorities and let them cite this jack-arse! Glad it was a near-miss and the truck following them was turning!
    No front plates in Florida. Doesn't matter though. If I T-boned him or got smashed by oncoming traffic, I could at least show in court that it wasn't my fault instead of depending on a cop showing up after the fact and guessing what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGreasemonkey View Post
    That's the one, thanks! Great lil' cam with more features than I've even explored so far. Updateable firmware too. I just have to go in and change it to 45fps, +.3EV, cut audio and display speed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Not a Fl. plate but a plate. And driver shot. More they see the more they can ticket for 'Failure to yield'. Just sayin'.

And in NC, at least the last-time I was rear-ended, if the officer didn't see it it was up to the involved to hash it out over who-dun-it! WTH!
    ... Rick

Thanks Given
    No, you're totally right. At least the footage showed what happened even if there wasn't a license plate to read. I cannot believe in this age that anything is left up to a cop or insurance companies to guess at. Nothing against cops since they're just trying to use their best deductive judgement after the fact but nothing and I emphasize nothing beats actual video. Of course, that works both ways. If you phucked up and your camera shows it, better hope nobody knows about it.

Incredibly, insurance companies don't completely rely on who got cited. They can contest everything despite the facts or police citations. Even if you got whacked and the police cited the other guy, you could later find yourself at a certain percentage of fault because of your radio's volume for instance.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    By the way. What was the brush to the right of the camera? You got dust-bunnies? I have dust-tumbleweeds right now.
    ... Rick

Thanks Given
    Not sure what you mean. This cam is so wide-angled that it captures the rear-view mirror mount on the right, the top of the rear-view below and my limo tint strip above.