Thread: NA MX5 Panasonic battery question

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BRGNA8's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 378 Posts

NA MX5 Panasonic battery question

Hey guys

I was able to get my hands on a brand new OEM Panasonic battery as I don't really know when the last time the battery in my car was changed and felt like it wasn't starting as well as before.

Just curiously though, there seems to be two nipples on the left and right of the battery, just above the terminals. I feel like its meant to connect up to some sort of hose but I can't seem to find anything in the boot area which hook up to this? Is it okay to leave it exposed?

Heres the pic for reference

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    there should be a y-shaped tube that connects to either side of the battery, and then to a nipple connected to the trunk floor. This allows the battery to outgass without building up fumes in the trunk/cabin. You should be able to make one, or find one for nearly free from anyone parting out a Miata

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-26-2016),BRGNA8 (07-26-2016),JamieH (07-26-2016)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I think, I'm not sure, but I THINK that the later Panasonic Miata batteries were regular flooded cell units. They weren't the AGM batteries that Mazda originally put in the cars.

Again, I think this is right. I remember reading it a few places. So you might see if those square caps on the top pop off and reveal traditional wet cells.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (07-26-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Fishbulb's Avatar
    Drives
    Early Red 90
    Thanks Given
    Sorry, not seeing the proper link on imgur.

The hose looks like what is in this pic. I replaced the OEM hoses with rubber lines to fit the battery nipple better.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishbulb For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (07-26-2016),Dandy (07-26-2016)

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    there should be a y-shaped tube that connects to either side of the battery, and then to a nipple connected to the trunk floor. This allows the battery to outgass without building up fumes in the trunk/cabin. You should be able to make one, or find one for nearly free from anyone parting out a Miata
    Ah so it's just a T-piece or a Y piece tube, three tubes connecting from each side to the piece and then just hooked up to the nipple on the trunk floor? Is that nipple already there on the trunk floor?

Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    I think, I'm not sure, but I THINK that the later Panasonic Miata batteries were regular flooded cell units. They weren't the AGM batteries that Mazda originally put in the cars.

Again, I think this is right. I remember reading it a few places. So you might see if those square caps on the top pop off and reveal traditional wet cells.
    I really dont know that much about batteries but the battery which is currently in my NA8 is a wet cell? As this is what it said on the sticker? I read about the fumes and the need to vent, hence why I opted to get a genuine panasonic OEM battery. Im sure there are other better options out there but I've heard these are meant to last a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    Sorry, not seeing the proper link on imgur.

The hose looks like what is in this pic. I replaced the OEM hoses with rubber lines to fit the battery nipple better.

http://imgur.com/a/tJG7e
    Ah great thanks for that. So looking at that, it seems like its a T piece with rubber hose going in on each end from the battery nipples, then the one rubber hose going to the trunk floor nipple?

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Also, what is the inner diameter of the rubber hose you used?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Rogue's Avatar
    Drives
    93LE #737, 93LE #783, 92BnT, 95M, 90A and now a 97PEP
    Thanks Given
    I only use AGM batteries in the trunk, after having a replacement Mazda battery explode in my trunk.
    Dealer installed replacements ceased to be AGM at some point.
    1992 BnT, 93LE #737, 94M, 95M, 96M, 97PEP, and a few 90s

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-26-2016)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Could've been different for Australia too. Who knows? I'd still look for a lightweight AGM battery but if that wet cell is going to go in, definitely connect drain tubes. There should be a nipple connection on the floor. Even if it's not draining fluid, which in normal use it shouldn't, you still don't want hydrogen gas buildup in the trunk.

No todo que es oro brilla.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Fishbulb's Avatar
    Drives
    Early Red 90
    Thanks Given
    Sorry, i really don't know. Went down to the misc. box of vacuum hoses and grabbed something that looked right!

When I get home I can take a look see if there is anything on the outside giving a hint of the I.D.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    This may be a good time to mention this discussion on batteries for the Miata: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ery-suggestion

There are very few actual manufacturers of batteries for our cars but many brands.

Drives
    1996 NA8C MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Thanks everyone who contributed! Have installed the battery and everythings good to go.
    Had to use a 4mm I.D vacuum hose with a T-piece to put on the nipples of the battery as the battery the car had previously didn't seem to have any of this.

It was a bit larger too but who knows how long it's been there for. The car now cranks and starts very nicely. However, I think I might invest in a thicker ground.

Old battery.

Genuine OEM Battery Part number.

Old vs New comparison.

Installed

What I used to get the bolt off from the negative terminal. 10mm deep socket and a longass extension haha!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRGNA8 For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (07-28-2016),Phatmiata (07-28-2016)