In 1994 I wanted a new car. I was finally down to 2 cars that I liked. I was torn between a miata and the newly re-designed 1994 mustang convertible. I wanted a convertible, but what I really liked was that both were being offered with a removable hard top. What finally swayed me to the miata was the newly adopted 1.8 engine platform and the news from Ford that the optional hard top for the new convertible Mustang was scrapped due to cost, weight, etc.

The miata that I picked was a black C package (the C pak came with a tan interior in 1994) with optional ABS and of course the hard top. I really liked the look of a miata in black and tan, and with the hard top on, the overall look of the car changed to me. It was almost like having two roadsters.

About 4 weeks after I had my miata, I received a complimentary copy of miata magazine through the mail - the summer 1994 issue. In it was an article about the brand new M2 Incorporated model 1028. I liked the look of the roadster with the rug console, and the other exterior and interior bits that were options for that particular M2 model. I had considered trying to make a rug console for my car and actually tried it back in 1998, but the detailing of the initial design that I came up with looked way too amateurish (aka crappy) to me.

1994 summer.jpg

Now, fast forward to 2007. I came close to selling my miata after 13 years due to its age and just sheer boredom with what was available after market wise here in the US for Mazda NA’s.

While doing a search on the web 5 years ago, I came across a picture of a white 1028 that someone in Japan had re-done with a red interior (All 1028’s wore standard black color interiors originally from M2 Incorporated).

hillsidemotor_img600x450_1172830534dsc00857_251.jpg

That one picture gave me an epiphany of modeling my roadster after a black 1028, but still retaining the original tan interior. So I started to do some research and search for a couple of things that I could add to my roadster to sorta make my own M2 1028...