Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Some M2 goodness

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts

Some M2 goodness

In 1994 I wanted a new car. I was finally down to 2 cars that I liked. I was torn between a miata and the newly re-designed 1994 mustang convertible. I wanted a convertible, but what I really liked was that both were being offered with a removable hard top. What finally swayed me to the miata was the newly adopted 1.8 engine platform and the news from Ford that the optional hard top for the new convertible Mustang was scrapped due to cost, weight, etc.

The miata that I picked was a black C package (the C pak came with a tan interior in 1994) with optional ABS and of course the hard top. I really liked the look of a miata in black and tan, and with the hard top on, the overall look of the car changed to me. It was almost like having two roadsters.

About 4 weeks after I had my miata, I received a complimentary copy of miata magazine through the mail - the summer 1994 issue. In it was an article about the brand new M2 Incorporated model 1028. I liked the look of the roadster with the rug console, and the other exterior and interior bits that were options for that particular M2 model. I had considered trying to make a rug console for my car and actually tried it back in 1998, but the detailing of the initial design that I came up with looked way too amateurish (aka crappy) to me.

1994 summer.jpg

Now, fast forward to 2007. I came close to selling my miata after 13 years due to its age and just sheer boredom with what was available after market wise here in the US for Mazda NA’s.

While doing a search on the web 5 years ago, I came across a picture of a white 1028 that someone in Japan had re-done with a red interior (All 1028’s wore standard black color interiors originally from M2 Incorporated).

hillsidemotor_img600x450_1172830534dsc00857_251.jpg

That one picture gave me an epiphany of modeling my roadster after a black 1028, but still retaining the original tan interior. So I started to do some research and search for a couple of things that I could add to my roadster to sorta make my own M2 1028...

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    This is the only pic I have of what my miata looked like before I started my M2 1028 parts quest. The 15” BBS RA II rims I bought when I was going to make my own ‘M edition”, but that never occurred. I also added the mazda trunk lip spoiler and Autoblaze fuel lid. Who knows, that trunk spoiler might resurface sometime in the future. The original top lasted me almost 15 years – not too bad for vinyl and a plastic window. 100_0278.jpg

I had picked up a rough set of the M2 1028 Vitaloni California Sebring door mirrors just before my M2 epiphany. The bases are painted aluminum and are embossed with “M2 Incorporated”. I was able to find the parts needed to refurbish them, and I even went a bit baller and picked up a set of the blue tint Zoom Engineering mirrors to put in them. Later on, I was also able to find the torx head screws that were originally used to mount them and I have also painted the mirror shells PZ black to go with the car & the M2 1028 theme.
    Using the mirrors took a bit of getting used to, but they are awesome IMHO.
    Picture 084.jpg100_0820.jpg000_0422.jpg

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ChrisJuliano's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    So far so good!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    This is going to be a build worth paying attention to.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given

Please carry on good sir.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! oldcafe's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    i love this project
    Spaghetti Garage Italian Taste

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given

Some M2 goodness

One of the first things I was able to find was an original front strut bar that was used on the 1028 model. It is a square hollow aluminum bar that really does the job, plus the design is a bit different than conventional STB’s that I have seen. Workmanship on this piece is amazing - the welds look perfect. At almost the same time I came across the rear aluminum bulk head brace. It is anodized a cool looking blue black with an original black padded cover.

1028 stb.jpg1028 rbhb.jpg1028 rbhb end.jpg

I then came across these 2 books: One is the owners manual for the M2 1028, which is just cool to have because of what I am trying to accomplish. The other is a parts catalog. Even though written in Japanese, it has given me a lot of insight as to what parts (and even Mazda part numbers) were on the M2 1028 and how things are put together. Things had started to roll by then, and it was only around April of 2007.

1028 man - parts.jpg

Some of the other things I picked up about this time – a 1028 tow hook, Ό mud guards - used on M2 models, but was a eunos roadster option, and a complete M2 1028 rug console.

I got the tow hook super cheap as it had sun -faded by the loop, and needed refurbishing. I had it powder coated in a metallic red to simulate the anodizing and it came out pretty sweet. The NOS mud guards came pre-painted the appropriate color for an easy install:

1028 hook 1.jpg1028 hook 2.jpg
    NOS quarter guards.jpg

The reason I picked up the complete M2 console was to use it as a template to make one in tan and to use the OEM M2 shifter trim assembly. The shifter trim consists of a stamped steel bottom bracket and the top trim and sandwiching the carpet in between with six allen head screws keeping it all together. Nice and simple, but effective and gives a very retro appearance. Making such a set up would be a bit too involved for me, so picking it up was easier, while once again using M2 parts to add to the look that I am striving for. I test fitted the black carpet and was liked how easy to install it was, and how effective it was at transforming the trans tunnel.

000_0054.jpg
    Last edited by vote4pedro; 02-08-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    000_0050.jpgRS-06.jpg

I had wanted to have carpet serging done to the tan rug to keep it looking like the original part, but I have not been successful in tracking down someone who can do it.

*IF ANYONE knows of someone who can do the job, please let me know!*

So the edges are trimmed as they are for now. I also sewed in a few small Velcro strips to help keep the sides/corners from cupping up. The carpet used needed to be dyed to make it closer to the miata tan so I used SEM camel dye. It is as close as possible to the NA tan and looks really good. The M2 1028’s came with a blue-black anodized textured aluminum shifter trim ring that looks nice in contrast to the tan rug console. I picked up a Nakamae tan leather shifter boot (used in the Nakamae NA rug consoles) and a tan leather Nakamae vintage brake boot cover to finish it off. Nakamae quality is amazing. The look and feel of the Nakamae leather products, as well as the color match, is top notch.

tan rug con.jpg1028 shifter ring.jpg
    Last edited by vote4pedro; 02-08-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Then I had to modify the 94-97 HVAC trim panel to go with the rug console.
    I used a piece of 1/8” Plexiglas fill the gap at the bottom after angle cutting the panel. An angle similar to the bottom of the M2 HVAC panels just did not look right on the 94-97 HVAC trim piece due to the curves on it, so I angled it a bit steeper and finished it in a textured black. (The angle on the bottom of the trim panel actually follows the trans tunnel contour perfectly).

94-97 frt.jpg97-97 bk.jpg

I mentioned earlier I bought the car with the C package. The C package consists of Power-assisted steering, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power mirrors, aluminum alloy wheels, and headrest speakers, cruise control, power windows, automatic power antenna, and the tan interior and top.

I have power windows, and I like having them too. What do I do with the PWS? Crap. I hit a wall. Crap. I could not figure out what to do. Putting the switch under the rug console would make it look like my original attempt. Lumpy and amateurish. What to do. I saw the following pic in a older road&ster issue. It was quite possibly what I was looking for. A Nielex stainless panel that incorporated the radio and the PWS. If it was still available things might work out for me.

nielex_din_2004_195.jpg.

While I was waiting for the Nielex part, I started thinking about how the interior was starting to evolve. Staring at the HVAC control panel and switches, I thought they might possibly get changed out too. I purchased a RS Products black aluminum HVAC panel and during a web search found some really cool spun aluminum lever knobs that seemed to go with what I was attempting. Once, everything arrived, I started to get things together.

rs AC.jpgrslogo-ac knobs.jpg

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    I love your car Vote4Pedro! So jealous of all of your M2 parts.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Your dedication and thoughtful planning really pays off. It's awesome how you think of all the little things.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for all of the kind words, I appreciate them. I figured I would give some background as to what I have done/am doing/want to do, even though some stuff was done a while ago...

J

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Since I was on such a roll with the center console, I decided to recover the door panels too. The tops and bottoms were both re-done in tan (94-97 tan miata interiors came stock with the door panel tops in black).

TaN DPs.jpg

Normally, miata inner door pulls are of a 2 or 3 point design, depending on year, and are made of plastic and or vinyl. I found a set of NOS M2 1028 single point inner door pulls. These are of a durable high quality cloth mesh, and when splayed show off a patch of leather added for grip – nicely thought out.

DP 1.jpgDP 2.jpg

I also had to add these to the newly skinned door panels:
    M2 1001/M2 1002 inner aluminum door handles. They are a unique design that I really admire. I also picked up some aluminum door locks to go with them, but I have left them off for now. M2 1028’s did not come with the 1001/1002 aluminum door handles, so I am just going to have to live with this little divergence from my plans.

M2 door handles.jpgdoor locks.jpg

After I got it all together it turned out like this:

RC a.jpgRC b.jpg

They do not stand out too much, but I gutted a stock hazard & headlight switch and added toggle switches similar to those seen on Nielex and RS Products. You can also see the M2 1028 leather brake handle and the Murakami M2 1028 leather shift knob that I added. The Murakami knob is identical to the original M2 1028 shift knob, but heftier (weighs in at 280 grams/9.8 oz) than the factory leather covered aluminum M2 knob. It just feels much better to grip. Useless trivia - the 1028 knob is the same as that used for the M2 1001 model, only wrapped in black leather. The PWS I use is a Japanese unit which has different style switches than the USDM one.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Loving this build! Keep it up man sub'd
    RoadsterLife<3

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Love being able to read all this in one place! That garage never did come back did it...

This thing is spotless <3

Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast