Thread: Add more vintage with the help of an older cousin, the RX2.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Corifto's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 526 Posts

Add more vintage with the help of an older cousin, the RX2.

The Mazda RX-2 badge is my favorite Mazda emblem, and has in my opinion, the best font Mazda has ever used.

Over a year ago, Adam gave me the RX2 badge that came from Scrat, after he nudged me towards the matching font for my door sill inserts. I still haven't put it on, for fear of losing it, and my hate of double sided tape.

I figured I'd keep that one safe, and find another to install. I thought the badge came as I received it, but I was mistaken.

The one from Scrat/Adam

What came in the mail. Some modifications were needed.

The first tools needed (Painters tape, cheap hacksaw, and a razor blade)

Tape off the edge as best you can. Score it all around with the razor blade, and then use the hacksaw to get the edge off. Pro Tip: The Mazda badge fits perfectly over the painters tape roll to use it to hold why you saw.

Next step. Dremel with a sanding drum to clean the edges of the break.

Now to make it shiny.

I started off doing it by hand with a cloth to get most of it shined up. I then took the dremel out and sanded the bottom edge as it had some black coating from the factory. Once I got it all down, I brought out a small polishing drum for the Dremel, and went to town.

And for the final step, make it look new. I used a fine brush and some black acrylic paint and filled the edges and lettering. Some will get on the face, but don't worry. In between coats, use the cloth and re-polish. The paint will come off the front. Some will definitely come off of the lettering, but just repeat this step until the face is polished and the outline and text is filled with paint.

Voila!

After I did all this and shared with Adam, he informed me that his were actually replicas, and came painted. This was a real one, and the difference is negligible. But I'm definitely happy with it.

Can you tell the difference?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corifto For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-22-2016),Dandy (09-21-2016),Fishbulb (09-21-2016),fwdtamiya (09-21-2016),NCGreasemonkey (09-21-2016)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Fishbulb's Avatar
    Drives
    Early Red 90
    Thanks Given
    Love it! Where are you finding these? I have a Vintage 1600 badge off a Datsun I was going to use, but these are just too awesome. Nice work!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Corifto's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 526 Posts
    I got them on eBay.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Great job Corey! RustRat and myself wanted to do the same; actually buy a set and split it. However I have the Type 60 logo on my gauges which is (slightly) different and will eventually buy a Type 60 nose badge from Adam as well. Therefore I need a similar one for the rear bumper to replace the OEM "Mazda" badge on the NB2, but I cannot locate one with the proper font. Guess I have to mill one...