Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a CSP Race Car (Blueiii build #2)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    Time-lines suck. But if we follow them (even when they have to be adjusted for outside matters) we will arrive at our destination.
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    I should probably also clarify my point about "time." I recognize that spending 2 years building a race car that I never get to drive tends to rapidly decrease the enjoyment of a project. Between a new family and house projects, if I get bored with not seeing an outcome I would eventually give up on it as being "overwhelming."

This thread is something of my documentation just so I can stay motivated, including looking back and seeing how far its come over time.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (11-01-2016)

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    What's in the box??!!

Why, CSP parts of course!!

Garage Star lightweight water pump pulley to be exact. I figured it would probably be easier to install now, while the motor is apart.
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-01-2016),NCGreasemonkey (11-01-2016)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Nice project! kinda sucks you had to go through a few avenues to find what class you'll be focused on, but then again it got your more comfortable wrenching and will mean this car gets the right amount of love..

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    Nice project! kinda sucks you had to go through a few avenues to find what class you'll be focused on, but then again it got your more comfortable wrenching and will mean this car gets the right amount of love..
    All in all, it wasn't a bad thing though. More like "I learned stuff - now what do I do with it?" One thing I discovered is that the CSP guys that run at a national level are - quite frankly - AWESOME. At the Wilmington Pro, Billy Davis was having all kinds of issues with his car. A shim in his head broke that would have normally put him out of competition (and running for contingency.) One of the other guys offered up a spare head to cannibalize. Neal Tovsen took second at nationals this year. I met him at one of the Pros and spent a few hours hanging out with him in his trailer (read: shade) at the Toledo pro.

Got a few more parts in on Friday and the engine is moving along.

Garage Star pulley installed. Note the waterneck - a cool new item from FM, it has the bung for the coolant temp built in so no welding is needed.

First coat of paint on the valve cover:

Up soon:
    Valve cover installed, alternator / intake clean up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (11-05-2016)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Great progress and I love purpose built cars! Look forward to your progress!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Ohio + Fall + 10 month old + 2 jobs = not much time to work on race car.

Got some stuff done today, though!

1.) Shipped my injectors off to WitchHunter so that they can be cleaned and flowed.
    2.) Installed Mazda Competition motor mounts

3.) Port matched the intake (or rather, had Pure Tuning port match for me after spending way too much time with a dremel and lumpy cut-outs.)

4.) Why port match? Because 64mm Skunk2 Throttle Body! Without the port there's a nasty step in the intake.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-19-2016)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Did you take NB8 differential at least ?

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by EunosMonster View Post
    Did you take NB8 differential at least ?
    I did not. It was all VERY rusty, and removing it would have taken a lot of time / effort for something that I likely wouldn't use. It was an open diff. I pulled the driveshaft, but one of the guys from Ohio Miata Owners (club) ended up needing a driveshaft so I sold it (relatively cheap) to help get another car back on the road.

Back to the build!

After knocking the pilot bearing out I installed the new one by popping it in with the same socket. I wasn't paying attention and didn't use the base, though, resulting in it slipping into the bearing part and inadvertently crushing it. Thus a mad dash to the Autozone hub the night before Thanksgiving.

Whoops:

New one installed:

I spent some time debating what clutch to choose. I ended up going with the Exedy stage 1 (1.6) organic. Part of that decision was because I discovered the Fidanza 1.6 flywheel in the transmission. I went back and forth between Exedy and 949 Supermiata, but since a guy I know locally works for Exedy he got me a decent price. The 1.6 Organic can handle around 170 hp (give or take) as it comes slightly under rated from the factory.

I didn't even realize that the boot on the slave cylinder was torn when I purchased a replacement. Also decided at that time to pick up a stainless clutch line so I wouldn't have to deal with the stupid curly clutch line.

Slave, Stainless clutch line and new pilot bearing installed:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (12-06-2016)

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Thanksgiving Day
    Took a break from turkey and family to wire up my CAS extension / Coolant sensor extension and finish bolting up the clutch and transmission. Also cleaned up the garage in anticipation for tomorrow...

BLACK FRIDAY!!
    Forget all that nonsense shopping! (Although I would have really liked to order some stuff from Revlimiter and Sharksgiving, I opted to wait until the car is running properly first. Function > AMAZING gauges, although I did list some of the Sharksgiving items on my Christmas list!) I have a friend coming over around noon or so with the goal of mounting the engine. To say the least its somewhat nerve wracking... did I remember all the bolts? Is everything tightened?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (11-25-2016),NCGreasemonkey (11-25-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Pre large install jitters. If you don't get them then you haven't worried about the details enough and some bad may happen.

Nice work and charge on!

... Rick

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Up...

UP.....

And in!

Replaced the rusty starter with another nb1 starter. Apparently one 2 of the bolts will fit with the NA transmission, though. Smaller / Lighter than the NA, and I found it online for $75 shipped. With as difficult as it is to get to it I thought it best to do it now.

Minor details:
    We broke the coolant sensor on the back of the motor. Whoops! Stuff happens, though.

Alternator and starter, CAS, power steering, and ignition coils are now in place and ready to go. I'll need to figure out how to clean up some of the wiring once its all in place as there are wires hanging everywhere. I labeled everything before I took it apart and am now thankful I did, although I failed to do so with my ground wires... no clue where those go. I'm sure the internet knows, though!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueiii For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (12-06-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Nice!

Just let the grounds drop and where the are close to a mounting point they go. If you need diagrams shoot me a PM and I will get you them. I want to hear it fire.

Peace
    ... Rick

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Thanks! The ground straps are all still attached to the chassis.

It appears the two eyelets (ground) on the passenger side harness are supposed to attach to the top of the intake manifold using a bracket. The one I'm stuck on is on the driver's side. Its still attached to the chassis, but I'm not sure what its supposed to attach to on the engine? It doesn't look like it reaches anything?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    The two eyelets you are correct on.

If the other is toward the rear of the engine bay ( and IIRK ) it mounted next to the starter on a stud.

HTH!
    ... Rick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast