Thread: Flyin' Miata front Wilwood BBK (Dynalite)+ FM MC brace

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given

Flyin' Miata front Wilwood BBK (Dynalite)+ FM MC brace

It has been a month since I had the brake set up installed on the car.

Honestly, I originally thought that this was overkill for my purposes, as I basically don't track my car (once a year, at FM's summer camp), and have yet to autocross the Miata.

But I do drive aggressively, and I do drive like a maniac in the canyon and mountain roads, just west of Colorado's front range.

Bit of a background, I got into Miatas in 2001, after having owned both a Porsche 944S (M030,LSD, no ABS, no airbags) and a 968 (LSD, ABS, Airbags, no M030) .
    I had been chasing a "modest" way to achieve a similar driving experience. The first Miata, a 95M owned for 9 years I tried but never achieved anything. The 1996 Montego Blue, which I bought 6.5 years ago I finally achieved it

The suspension was done with Fat Cat coilovers 600F/375R, 15X7 Advanti S1's and now BFG Comp 2 tires at 195/50.

The engine was done with a BP4 Head + intake (three angle valve job), BP5 cam and 265cc injectors.

The brakes, the FM Wilwood Dynalite, their nickel plated replacement rotors and their master cylinder brace. Also, installed, the stainless brake lines.

Conclusion: I wish I had installed this brakes LONG AGO. I hated the Miata brakes, it was probably my most disliked feature. Sure, they worked, and yes I could lock up the brakes. But the pedal feel was vague at best and uncommunicative at worst. I could never tell what my brakes were up to, and trying to modulate them was not giving me what I wanted. So at the track I had to brake early and often, not the way to decrease your times.

Now? The brakes tell me when and how to slow down. The brake pedal communicates clearly what the brakes are up to, and I can modulate what I want the brakes to do. So I'm a lot faster and smoother on my mountain treks.

I also noticed that when driving over bad, bumpy roads, the suspension is not as "harsh" as it was, and I attribute that to the unsprung weight loss.

Are they perfect? Nope, on slow speed braking, I sometimes get a faint squeel (more than likely, the adapting bracket for the calipers) that I never had with the factory brakes, but I can live with this, for all the goodness offered by this awesome brakes.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

fwdtamiya (11-08-2016),Greasemonkey2000 (11-09-2016),Hammerhead (11-09-2016),MiataQuest (11-09-2016),mx54life (11-09-2016),Rogue (11-09-2016),Slampen (11-08-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Pads used before and after? Pads used on stock calipers and rotors compared to those used on the Wilwoods?

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    I am also working on installing my bbk.

This inspires me to work faster.

Pics please for more motivation lol.
    Life is short drive a Miata

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Thank you for the review!

I'm very interested, a BBK is one of the next items on my wishlist. My biggest problem being clearing my 14x6.5 +25 RS8's. Seems most are running 15x7's... which clear the calipers much easier.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Pads used before and after? Pads used on stock calipers and rotors compared to those used on the Wilwoods?
    Porterfield R4S on both ends, before. Now, Wilwood pads up front, and R4S in the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    I am also working on installing my bbk.

This inspires me to work faster.

Pics please for more motivation lol.
    Get it done!!! 20161019_102413.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    Thank you for the review!

I'm very interested, a BBK is one of the next items on my wishlist. My biggest problem being clearing my 14x6.5 +25 RS8's. Seems most are running 15x7's... which clear the calipers much easier.
    Dude, then go with the LBBK, because I seriously doubt the BBK's will clear ''14 rims.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mx54life's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 10th AE
    Thanks Given
    Thanks you did get me motivated. Just finished installing my F/R Stoptech BBK. Have to do brake bleeding in the morning.
    Life is short drive a Miata

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mx54life For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (11-10-2016),The Driver (11-10-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mx54life View Post
    Thanks you did get me motivated. Just finished installing my F/R Stoptech BBK. Have to do brake bleeding in the morning.
    Now go and start your own BBK thread!

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    Here's mine.

Front:

Rear:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammerhead For This Useful Post:

JamieH (11-12-2016),The Driver (11-11-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Shit, that looks all kinds of sweet!

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    VladlenaPonCA
    Thanks Given

Flyin Miata front Wilwood BBK

Im going to order on Monday. I have ordered a few things from Flyin Miata in the past and have always been really happy with both their products and service.