Thread: Brakes squeling after new pads put in

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Rock Star's Avatar
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

Brakes squeling after new pads put in

My brakes are squealing. I know it is not the brake shoes because the mechanic changed them. What can cause the squeal? They squealed before and I thought it needed new brake shoes because there was a little left. Please let me know what I can do about the noise.
    Axl Rose:

Take me down to the paradise city
    Where the grass is green and the women are pretty
    Take me home (oh won't you please take me home)
    Take me down to the paradise city
    Where the grass is green and the women are pretty
    Take me home (oh won't you please take me home)

Drives
    1993-LE Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 523 Posts
    OMG! Take off them brake shoes and put on brake pads! Shoes are only used for drum brakes.

Kidding aside, brake pads can easily squeal even when new. It is important to 'bed' all pads when new. This means finding and empty stretch of road where you can bring the car up to highway speeds (50+ MPH or so) and do a series of hard stops. **EDIT - different pad types require different types of bedding techniques. Follow the link below for some good tips and you may also want to GOOGLE "how to bed brake pads" for more info**

For quick reference, here is some info from TireRack.com:

"All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder."

If this does not resolve your issue, put a thin layel of anti-squeal compund (usually comes in a tube) on the backs of the pads and reinstall.
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 01-04-2017 at 09:22 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammerhead For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (01-04-2017)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! turboedpickup's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Miata
    Thanks Given
    This is probably what needs to be done on my end as well. Weh wehhh - Now to find an empty stretch of road.