Thread: Sticky oil gauge ?

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1991 Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given

Sticky oil gauge ?

Just getting some idea,s , RHD but shouldn't make any difference , NA6CE ,1991 Eunos Roadster
    Hopped in my car yesterday to go for a drive , check the oil levels , all good , clean perfect , Called in the servo to fuel up , ready for a decent drive and then noticed that the oil gauge was zero , no movement , (There's a sick feeling , been driving around for the last 20 minutes and not noticed it ) , Pulled over ,give it a rev , everything sounds OK ,oil on dipstick , pulled the wire off the sender unit a couple of times in case of dirty earth , Nothing , Drove it home , in the garage and carried on my day with the work truck.
    Today , had a think about it , Check the forums , Tried the earth out thing , Dead still , no movement , Started the car , sounds good as always , Give the Cluster a few taps while the car was idling and the needle slowly move to half , turned the car off and stayed still put , maybe moved a fraction down
    Which finally brings me to my question , Has anyone experienced sticky cluster gauges ? ,
    I,ve owned the car for 8 years, 177000km on the clock and never seen this before , Just trying to see if it,s common or not , i,ve seen the fuel one crap out and temp ones crap out but not oil , Usually the sender unit .
    Really does make you think twice about driving anywhere with a dicky pressure gauge , is it telling lies or do i really have issues , I do drive it hard , Rev limiter has been lifted due to Toda flywheel being so light and sick of hitting limiter in First and second .
    I may pull the sender off and get it checked , just trying to avoid pulling the cluster ( don,t want to break the cluster cover , $200.00 for another new one) .
    Any thoughts /Advise ?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I've never had that experience, just a flickering gauge from a loose connection at the sender. Because the gauge responded when you tapped on the gauge leads me to believe that the issue is in the cluster.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 10-24-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Drives
    1991 Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Sweet , sorta what i,m thinking , I've grabbed another sender unit from my work ( We do Mazda dismantling New and Used parts) and a external oil pressure gauge just to make sure engine,s OK , Confirm that's all ok and reluctantly pull the Cluster out , I forgot to mention it,s aftermarket JDM but all the backing is standard Mazda , Guess it will give me a excuse to put the Stainless surround and LED lights on i've had stashed for awhile , Not sure what the LHD Cluster covers are like but RHD one aren't cheap if i break it , It,s like new dash close up.jpg

Drives
    1991 Eunos Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Probably answering my own question , but anyway; Well pulled the Cluster no worries there ,Question , Should the oil gauge be free floating like the Rev counter and water temp and Odometer ,ie, I give those a blow and they will rise and fall smoothly , the oil gauge is stiff and just stays where it is, It does use the full Mazda backing plate/gauge , Just a pretty cover plate , been in the car for the last 6 years

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    It should move pretty easily, maybe not as easily as the tach, but not stiff. You think maybe it just needs a little lubrication?