Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping / Auto Transport Companies: Any recommendations?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    Well, after much debate, I won't be shipping the car after all.

Flight is booked for Mossinee, WI for April 22nd. I'm going to venture through "Canuckistan" (that made me laugh, a lot, thank you KFJ) as it's the most direct route and avoids all the major US Cities. I've spoken with Canadian Customs and learned that a Maine Transit plate is 100% acceptable.

Just ran CarFax to be sure, and everything looks good on that end, too. Unicorn car, here I come!

Thanks for the input, all. I'll let you know how things shake down in April! -Matt
    The last snow in southeast Michigan that they use road salt seems to be the week of the Detroit Tigers opening home game series. That is my signal to take the snow tires off the Audi 5000 Quattro and the wife's Blazer.
    So April 22nd is a GO since it is after those dates!
    Do you plan to enter Canada above the Great Lakes or through Detroit/Port Huron in Michigan?
    We will be looking forward to pictures of the car and the trip.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    That's encouraging!

Sault Ste. Marie via 75 is what Google Maps is showing me... That's headed East in the simplest line from Wausau, WI.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Mmmmm...Escanaba. Yoopers are a breed apart.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power mazdarati1's Avatar
    Drives
    With a blinker on
    Thanks Given

Upper Pennisula MI

M-28 across da U.P. is a great drive. Nice scenery on the west end with a few twisties,
    and a 10-15 mile stretch of arrow straight road called the "Seney Flats" heavily patrolled though.
    I was blasting through there a few years ago and a 928 Porsche flew past,
    state boy got him a few miles up the road. 28 will run you all the way east to 75.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2001 Silver
    Thanks Given
    Hey! Glad I found this thread. I pseudo-brokered this deal. The car belonged to the Dad of the husband of a friend of my wife. Got that? Post enough car pics on Facebook and your friends from all over the country will ask you if you know anyone looking for a car. We're in FL, car is in WI? No problem. A couple of internet posts and a couple of days and I find a dude in Maine who will buy it. Seems perfectly normal to me.

And oh yeah, at nearly the same time a friend in Omaha asks if we know anyone that wants a Miata. So I end up buying that one and having an internet forum friend drive it to FL by way of Deal's Gap. The internet is a crazy place.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rojeho For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-25-2017),MLambert19 (04-25-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2001 Silver
    Thanks Given
    Actually, when I was first contacted I had pretty low expectations. Imagine my surprise to find out that the "I think it's a Miata" was a low mile, non-AC R package car......

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    40,500 miles before... 41,700 now.

I got home a day ago, overall had a great drive. I took Rt. 64 in WI to 41/35/2 in Michigan, then onward through Sault Ste. Marie to Canada 17. 17 is a beautiful drive, in fact, I have no gripes about any of it until I got East of Montreal and somehow missed I10. That led me on a wild-goose-chase through Quebec, where nothing is marked in English, the roads are crap, and nothing makes sense.

The handling on an R-car with the manual rack is nothing short of sublime. I can't wait to get the heavy TSW's and 16's off it and install some RPF1's and Direzza's. Tires have been ordered, this will likely happen before I find time to even get to the BMV and get it registered.

I think it was a good deal for both parties, and I sincerely thank rojeho for putting me in touch with the previous owner.

Now I just need to find someone looking for a turn-key FM2 Turbo '91 BRG...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12