Thread: More Artisan Shift Knobs at revlimiter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    1 Lignum Vitae shift knob left.

1 Guayacan (which is genuine Lignum Vitae, not Argentine) left. And there was only 1 to begin with. It's boggles my mind that no one has bought this yet. It's an incredible wood. Super hard to find and hard to work. And... it's just sitting on the shelf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae
    Lignum vitae is hard and durable, and is also the densest wood traded (density: 1.23 g/cm3);[3] it will easily sink in water. On the Janka Scale of Hardness, which measures hardness of woods, lignum vitae ranks highest of the trade woods, with a Janka hardness of 4500 lbf (compared with African Blackwood at 2940 lbf, Hickory at 1820 lbf, red oak at 1290 lbf, Yellow Pine at 690 lbf, and Balsa at 100 lbf).

Various other hardwoods may also be called lignum vitae and should not be confused with it. The best-known come from Bulnesia arborea and Bulnesia sarmientoi (in the same subfamily as Guaiacum) and are known as Verawood or Argentine lignum vitae; they are somewhat similar in appearance and working qualities as genuine lignum vitae. Some hardwoods from Australasia (e.g., Vitex lignum-vitae and some species of Acacia and Eucalyptus) are also referred to as lignum vitae.
    Not to say anything bad about the Argentine wood. It's glorious as well and has a better smell (both have a natural mild perfume to them). But the guayacan.... dang. It's wonderful.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (03-17-2017)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Not gonna lie, I wish I could take the Guayacan knob, honestly heartbroken

Unfortunately I'm outside of the U.S.... Someone please buy this....
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

RustRat (03-20-2017)