Thread: Questions on flywheel, transmission removal, CAS seal, and engine mounts. (1992 1.6)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts

Questions on flywheel, transmission removal, CAS seal, and engine mounts. (1992 1.6)

Long term I plan to modify my 1992 NA with either an EcoTec or LFX engine conversion.
    In the meantime I was considering to refine my present low-rent BEGI turbo system and baseline the car to start driving it.
    The first thing on the "to-do" list is the clutch, engine main seal, trans seals, engine mounts, and CAS seal. The reason is the transmission shifts notchy and feels like the pilot bearing is spinning the mainshaft. I also want to address some oil leaks.
    So here are the questions:
    1. I was thinking I should install a light-weight 1.8 flywheel on the 1.6 to enlarge the clutch surface area. I need to confirm that the 1.8 flywheel is a bolt on modification.
    2. Is it easier to change the CAS seal from under the car with the transmission removed?
    3. Is it easier to do a coolant re-route in the same manner?
    4. Do you need to support the engine when you remove the transmission?
    5. Should I change the engine mounts when the transmission is out or when everything is together? Buy the Flyin Miata "Mazda Competition" motor mounts?
    6. Should I get the Flying Miata Happy Meal flywheel, clutch, etc? Level 1 for a mild turbo?
    7. I was thinking CAT delete while the exhaust was off. Some people say this makes the turbo over-run? I do not understand because this is only a slight flow improvement. Then why is a 3 inch exhaust with a CAT OK?
    8. Anything else I should do while the transmission is out?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I have been busy working out of the country most of the winter. I had lots of problems with the house (recent power failure, buy a generator, electrical work, blah blah) and the old Audi. I will be selling one of my Audi's in a month. That in itself should free up a lot of my time.
    I hope to get back to the "Manticore Build" this summer. (and to Rick, keep me motivated to install the MazdaSpeed type II wing)
    Last edited by MiataQuest; 03-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.