Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 777 Posts
    @HarryB: Unsure what alloy they are but if they rust, not big deal. Thanks!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-11-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    09-10-17, Mileage-112,822: Now that the chrome issue is taken care of I can turn my attention to getting Misfire some fresh 'blood' in its 'heart'. Picked up Rotella T6, Purolator Boss(a new series they recently came out with) oil filter for the Mazda KL V6 and a Purolator pcv for the Mazda 323 GTX....

...when nobody else will let you be the...

...Boss. As many do this had to go....

...because Racekar of course, plus it makes oil changes easier. In case you are wondering why the filter for the Mazda KL V6 instead of the Miata specific....

....because more filter capacity. I didn't measure but it looks like it is about 30% taller. How about a action shot.

IIRC, I was told Misfire got a oil change at the dealership I bought him from in which case means the oil only has about 3k miles on it but obviously they provided no proof so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I really need to clean up the engine bay, subframe, etc. as Misfire was not as well taken of as Warbird was by the previous care takers. Also something interesting I discovered when laying under Misfire, the aftermarket radiator is a CSF radiator which is cool since it appears to be a earlier design. I will still upgrade it in time though, still at least it looks like quality parts where used on Misfire.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 09-10-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (09-11-2017),HarryB (09-11-2017),JamieH (09-15-2017),MiataQuest (09-11-2017),NCGreasemonkey (09-14-2017),Paul B (09-10-2017),tsingson (09-11-2017),ueru (09-12-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 680 Posts
    I don't know how I haven't seen this thread yet, but this car is awesome!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-16-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    09-16-17: Another unusually nice day here in central Texas, so I took advantage of it and tackled another 'cheap' project that I have been meaning to do since Misfire came home with me, the headlights. The driver side looked fantastic but the passenger side was very hazy which is obvious both looking at it and by its light output vs the driver side.

Unfortunately I was out of the required grit(s) sandpaper so after picking up a variety pack and watching a couple YouTube videos on how to remove the headlights(to make sure the bumper had to come off like I suspected), I got after it.

There isn't much to removing the headlights, about as straight forward as I figured and I think the NB front bumper is easier to remove then the NA since it doesn't have those two bolts tucked way up in the fender.

The project just proved to be far more time consuming then I expected. I preheated the oven to 225F while I removed the bumper and headlights and then removed the bulbs, grommets, etc. before heating them individually(because small oven) for about 30 minutes.

Pulled the headlights apart and painted the inner housing with a flat black enamel paint(three coats) and one coat of satin clear coat. I reassembled and put them back in the oven for only about 15 minutes this time and pressed the lens back together with the housing.

Next was polishing the headlights, which I spent at least 2.5-3hrs doing. I started with 320 and then 500, 1000 and finally 1500. Then I used a polishing compound and finally wax. I really wish I could say it was time well spent but it was one of those projects that just didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. Still a definite improvement overall.

Here is what they looked like before...

...and after all my heard work.

I guess I will be polishing them again at a later date after reading up to see where I went wrong. To be honest the driver side headlight looks, worse imo. I also went ahead and polished the side marker lights while I was at it as they take maybe 15 minutes to do.

I honestly didn't realize that the rear marker lights are simply reflectors, until I removed them.

You may also notice that I once again did the single wiper configuration, I really liked it on Warbird and again my reasoning is the way it looks and racing history of that setup...plus McLaren F1. You really don't lose much in the way of functionality. The stock wiper size it 18" but where it is currently positioned I could use a 19" or possibly 20", which I had already picked up a new Bosch Icon but may check on a larger size first.

I also discovered a few other neat things while working on Misifire. One is the intercooler has a temp sensor on the inlet and outlet side of the intercooler like so...

...and the wires go into the cab and to where the radio is like there use to be a gauge present. They also put decent effort forth trying to duct the intercooler and radiator, like so....

...there are flaps on both sides and a flap on top and bottom that they added to try and direct air thru both heat exchangers. Granted it is no Ryan aka ThePass , Sean aka LincolnLogs or Moti aka Blackbirdfabworx ducting but they put the effort forth. It is really nice to be pleasantly surprised about what I find the more I get to know Misfire....someone definitely put some time and money into the supercharger setup.

Granted there has been some things(the powercard wired directly into the harness instead of using a jumper harness to splice into) that I haven't been happy with but for the most part I think Misfire was loved and well taken care of previously.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-17-2017),JamieH (09-23-2017),MiataQuest (09-17-2017),Paul B (09-16-2017),tsingson (09-17-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by theothersawyer View Post
    I don't know how I haven't seen this thread yet, but this car is awesome!
    Thanks, Danny!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

theothersawyer (09-17-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Nice work Chad! Nice to see someone had actually put effort and thought to Misfire, these are signs of a good buy!

Regarding headlights polishing, when I did mine I went through 1000, 1200, 1400 and 1800, all of them wet, and finished off with an orbital polisher with medium and fine polishing compound, came out like new. However they turned yellowish again after a year, as there was no UV protection over them. Some people clear coat them, what I did second time round was to install a UV protecting film. It has been a year since and no issues.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-17-2017),Paul B (09-17-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Harry! First I'm going to get a more aggressive polishing compound and if that doesn't work then I may sand them again using finer grits as you suggested. Thanks for the information!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The 3M kit works great for me. All you need to do is supply the water and elbow power. I think its like $15-$20.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-21-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr... Samer's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Silver Miata NBFL
    Thanks Given
    Any downsides of removing the intake manifold brace?

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @Samer: Not to my knowledge, internet speculation and conjecture but have yet to see pics of any adverse affects from removing and from my multiple forum interactions it seems many people remove the brace for the same reason(s).

Removed it from Warbird, my na8, and in three years of ownership had no issues from removing and the new owner hasn't reported any issue with it since taking ownership back in January of this year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (09-21-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    09-24-17, Mileage-112,998: So Tuesday night I was sitting in the CVS parking lot waiting on my lovely wife that had run in for a few things and for whatever reason I decided to leave Misfire running. After about 5 minutes I started to smell coolant and next I saw steam coming from under the hood...great.

I popped the hood and looked around and all I could tell was it was coming from the driver side of the motor and probably could have seen it but alas the m45 was taking up valuable inspection space. So I asked my lovely wife if she could go back into CVS to get a gallon of water to top of the expansion tank to get Misfire home, which was only a few miles away.

It was already near 10pm and I had to work the next day so nothing else could be done. I couldn't find the time till this weekend to give Misfire the proper attention to figure out what was going on which I figured was the lower radiator hose.

Got Misfire up on jack stands and got the plastic under tray off and saw this...

...and that pretty much confirmed what I figured. I could not actually see a tear/hole yet and it appeared to be coming from on top or the rear side of the hose. I removed the DDM Works intake box and to have my original suspicions confirmed...

...once I got it off(cutting was involved as usual, the hose of course) it looked even worse from the outside of the hose...

....but the on the inside it was only a small pin hole(couldn't get a good pic of that). The pin hole was directed at the header/TDR header blanket and thus the immediate steam when it happened.

I went ahead and took the opportunity to remove and clean the oem expansion tank that is 16 yrs old and has over 112k miles on it and probably had never been cleaned...

..and looking in side seemed to confirm that.

After some cleaning it looked much better...

...by no means perfect but perfectly acceptable for now since it will be getting replaced. I also went ahead and cleaned the inside of the engine bay as best I could as well as the cowl area because again I think Misfire sat under a tree(or outside) for a bit.

I then called to confirm a local auto parts store had the hose and went and picked it and some coolant up.

No reason to bore everyone with what followed but I would like to add that the Gates hose was a little thicker and made getting the oem clamp on a little difficult and after seeing the difference in the clamp when in stalled on the radiator side, opted to use a worm clamp on the engine side.

Let it run for about 30 minutes or so up on jack stands to 'burp' the system and concluded with checking the coolant temp via the Torque app which showed 206F and then let it run for another 10-15 minutes on the ground. I was satisfied for now, engine bay still needs detailing but much better and hopefully got all the air out of the system.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (Yesterday),MiataQuest (09-24-2017),Paul B (09-24-2017),tsingson (09-24-2017)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    glad it was an easy fix! Very very similar to what happened to me the other day.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456