Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    @HarryB: Unsure what alloy they are but if they rust, not big deal. Thanks!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-11-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    09-10-17, Mileage-112,822: Now that the chrome issue is taken care of I can turn my attention to getting Misfire some fresh 'blood' in its 'heart'. Picked up Rotella T6, Purolator Boss(a new series they recently came out with) oil filter for the Mazda KL V6 and a Purolator pcv for the Mazda 323 GTX....

...when nobody else will let you be the...

...Boss. As many do this had to go....

...because Racekar of course, plus it makes oil changes easier. In case you are wondering why the filter for the Mazda KL V6 instead of the Miata specific....

....because more filter capacity. I didn't measure but it looks like it is about 30% taller. How about a action shot.

IIRC, I was told Misfire got a oil change at the dealership I bought him from in which case means the oil only has about 3k miles on it but obviously they provided no proof so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I really need to clean up the engine bay, subframe, etc. as Misfire was not as well taken of as Warbird was by the previous care takers. Also something interesting I discovered when laying under Misfire, the aftermarket radiator is a CSF radiator which is cool since it appears to be a earlier design. I will still upgrade it in time though, still at least it looks like quality parts where used on Misfire.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 09-10-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (09-11-2017),HarryB (09-11-2017),JamieH (09-15-2017),MiataQuest (09-11-2017),NCGreasemonkey (09-14-2017),Paul B (09-10-2017),tsingson (09-11-2017),ueru (09-12-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I don't know how I haven't seen this thread yet, but this car is awesome!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theothersawyer For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-16-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    09-16-17: Another unusually nice day here in central Texas, so I took advantage of it and tackled another 'cheap' project that I have been meaning to do since Misfire came home with me, the headlights. The driver side looked fantastic but the passenger side was very hazy which is obvious both looking at it and by its light output vs the driver side.

Unfortunately I was out of the required grit(s) sandpaper so after picking up a variety pack and watching a couple YouTube videos on how to remove the headlights(to make sure the bumper had to come off like I suspected), I got after it.

There isn't much to removing the headlights, about as straight forward as I figured and I think the NB front bumper is easier to remove then the NA since it doesn't have those two bolts tucked way up in the fender.

The project just proved to be far more time consuming then I expected. I preheated the oven to 225F while I removed the bumper and headlights and then removed the bulbs, grommets, etc. before heating them individually(because small oven) for about 30 minutes.

Pulled the headlights apart and painted the inner housing with a flat black enamel paint(three coats) and one coat of satin clear coat. I reassembled and put them back in the oven for only about 15 minutes this time and pressed the lens back together with the housing.

Next was polishing the headlights, which I spent at least 2.5-3hrs doing. I started with 320 and then 500, 1000 and finally 1500. Then I used a polishing compound and finally wax. I really wish I could say it was time well spent but it was one of those projects that just didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. Still a definite improvement overall.

Here is what they looked like before...

...and after all my heard work.

I guess I will be polishing them again at a later date after reading up to see where I went wrong. To be honest the driver side headlight looks, worse imo. I also went ahead and polished the side marker lights while I was at it as they take maybe 15 minutes to do.

I honestly didn't realize that the rear marker lights are simply reflectors, until I removed them.

You may also notice that I once again did the single wiper configuration, I really liked it on Warbird and again my reasoning is the way it looks and racing history of that setup...plus McLaren F1. You really don't lose much in the way of functionality. The stock wiper size it 18" but where it is currently positioned I could use a 19" or possibly 20", which I had already picked up a new Bosch Icon but may check on a larger size first.

I also discovered a few other neat things while working on Misifire. One is the intercooler has a temp sensor on the inlet and outlet side of the intercooler like so...

...and the wires go into the cab and to where the radio is like there use to be a gauge present. They also put decent effort forth trying to duct the intercooler and radiator, like so....

...there are flaps on both sides and a flap on top and bottom that they added to try and direct air thru both heat exchangers. Granted it is no Ryan aka ThePass , Sean aka LincolnLogs or Moti aka Blackbirdfabworx ducting but they put the effort forth. It is really nice to be pleasantly surprised about what I find the more I get to know Misfire....someone definitely put some time and money into the supercharger setup.

Granted there has been some things(the powercard wired directly into the harness instead of using a jumper harness to splice into) that I haven't been happy with but for the most part I think Misfire was loved and well taken care of previously.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-17-2017),JamieH (09-23-2017),MiataQuest (09-17-2017),Paul B (09-16-2017),tsingson (09-17-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by theothersawyer View Post
    I don't know how I haven't seen this thread yet, but this car is awesome!
    Thanks, Danny!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

theothersawyer (09-17-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Nice work Chad! Nice to see someone had actually put effort and thought to Misfire, these are signs of a good buy!

Regarding headlights polishing, when I did mine I went through 1000, 1200, 1400 and 1800, all of them wet, and finished off with an orbital polisher with medium and fine polishing compound, came out like new. However they turned yellowish again after a year, as there was no UV protection over them. Some people clear coat them, what I did second time round was to install a UV protecting film. It has been a year since and no issues.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-17-2017),Paul B (09-17-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Harry! First I'm going to get a more aggressive polishing compound and if that doesn't work then I may sand them again using finer grits as you suggested. Thanks for the information!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    The 3M kit works great for me. All you need to do is supply the water and elbow power. I think its like $15-$20.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-21-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr... Samer's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Silver Miata NBFL
    Thanks Given
    Any downsides of removing the intake manifold brace?

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    @Samer: Not to my knowledge, internet speculation and conjecture but have yet to see pics of any adverse affects from removing and from my multiple forum interactions it seems many people remove the brace for the same reason(s).

Removed it from Warbird, my na8, and in three years of ownership had no issues from removing and the new owner hasn't reported any issue with it since taking ownership back in January of this year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (09-21-2017)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    09-24-17, Mileage-112,998: So Tuesday night I was sitting in the CVS parking lot waiting on my lovely wife that had run in for a few things and for whatever reason I decided to leave Misfire running. After about 5 minutes I started to smell coolant and next I saw steam coming from under the hood...great.

I popped the hood and looked around and all I could tell was it was coming from the driver side of the motor and probably could have seen it but alas the m45 was taking up valuable inspection space. So I asked my lovely wife if she could go back into CVS to get a gallon of water to top of the expansion tank to get Misfire home, which was only a few miles away.

It was already near 10pm and I had to work the next day so nothing else could be done. I couldn't find the time till this weekend to give Misfire the proper attention to figure out what was going on which I figured was the lower radiator hose.

Got Misfire up on jack stands and got the plastic under tray off and saw this...

...and that pretty much confirmed what I figured. I could not actually see a tear/hole yet and it appeared to be coming from on top or the rear side of the hose. I removed the DDM Works intake box and to have my original suspicions confirmed...

...once I got it off(cutting was involved as usual, the hose of course) it looked even worse from the outside of the hose...

....but the on the inside it was only a small pin hole(couldn't get a good pic of that). The pin hole was directed at the header/TDR header blanket and thus the immediate steam when it happened.

I went ahead and took the opportunity to remove and clean the oem expansion tank that is 16 yrs old and has over 112k miles on it and probably had never been cleaned...

..and looking in side seemed to confirm that.

After some cleaning it looked much better...

...by no means perfect but perfectly acceptable for now since it will be getting replaced. I also went ahead and cleaned the inside of the engine bay as best I could as well as the cowl area because again I think Misfire sat under a tree(or outside) for a bit.

I then called to confirm a local auto parts store had the hose and went and picked it and some coolant up.

No reason to bore everyone with what followed but I would like to add that the Gates hose was a little thicker and made getting the oem clamp on a little difficult and after seeing the difference in the clamp when in stalled on the radiator side, opted to use a worm clamp on the engine side.

Let it run for about 30 minutes or so up on jack stands to 'burp' the system and concluded with checking the coolant temp via the Torque app which showed 206F and then let it run for another 10-15 minutes on the ground. I was satisfied for now, engine bay still needs detailing but much better and hopefully got all the air out of the system.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-03-2018),HarryB (09-25-2017),MiataQuest (09-24-2017),Paul B (09-24-2017),tsingson (09-24-2017)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    glad it was an easy fix! Very very similar to what happened to me the other day.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (03-03-2018)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    03-03-18: Over four months since my last update.......some may be wondering why, maybe not. If you are/were it is because i was seriously contemplating getting rid of Misfire, why would I do that?

To be perfectly honest I was overwhelmed by what I wanted to accomplish versus what I could afford to do in the foreseeable future. Warbird was able to be built at such a rate due to things working out, not to mention a little help from credit cards, but Misfire has come into my life at a point that I could not do the same.

Obviously nothing wrong with slow and steady, it was merely impatience one my part. Thankfully life intervened and things has worked out to where I will be keeping Misfire after all!

Unfortunately I have been unemployed since mid December so spending money on upgrades for Misfire is out of the question BUT that doesn't mean some 'free upgrades' cant' happen!

It is funny how people are...you have some tall people that wish they were shorter, short people that wish they were taller, people with straight here that wish they had curly hair, people with curly hair that want straight hair, etc.

In my case when I had my NB1 I wanted NB2 taillights and now that I have Misfire i decided I want NB1 taillights. Only problem is NB1(99-00) taillights are harder to come by, usually $150+ for a set and suffer from a issue where the amber sections don't always match. Solution? Give Misfire's NB2 taillights a amber turn signal.

This could be accomplished a few different ways(painting the section with a amber tinted clearcoat being one) but the one that I had available and would be 'free' was to use the Oracal 8300 amber colored vinyl I had bought a few years back for Warbird's Carbon Miata LED taillight panel.

This time around it was a mcuh more difficult as the OEM taillights have much more of a curve that the much flatter LED taillights Carbon Miata used. I think it took me thirty to forty five minutes to do both of the Carbon Mita LED taillights where as the OEM taillights took about an hour and a half!

I think they turned out pretty good though. Another thing was the area is a little oval shaped so the turn signal area is wider than it is taller. At the widest point I measured approx. 3.9" so i cut a 4" circle. I cleaned the tail lights and sprayed them down with water, peeled the vinyl and applied water to the back of it.

Put the vinyl on and used a rubber drawing eraser with a micro fiber towel wrapped around it to squeegee the water/air out, this of course was the time consuming/difficult part.

Once i was satisfied with the lack of air bubbles(essentially none), i cut off the excess vinyl with a art razor blade(rounded blade) using the OEM line around the turn signal area as a guide. Here are the results/comparison:

OEM NB2 taillights

W/ passenger side amber vinyl applied

Removed the 50hp 'SC' badge

Comparison of OEM driver side vs passenger side w/ amber vinyl with the hazards on

The color is much deeper on the side with the vinyl, for the obvious reason

Both OEM tail lights with Oracal 8300 amber vinyl installed

I know some think I'm going 'backwards' but I have developed an obsession with amber for the rear turn signals(on certain cars). I plan on getting the Carbon Miata LED taillights for Misfire and will do the same on them, more than likely.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

JamieH (03-05-2018),Phatmiata (03-04-2018),riefdaddy (03-04-2018)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Here is a more in depth explanation of why I decided to go to amber turn signal instead of the oem. If the NB2 taillights turn signal area was actually clear instead of pinkish I probably could have left well enough alone but part of it is 'classic cars' influence and so many of the iconic cars I love just looked so good with amber/yellow turn signals. i.e.

Ferrari F40

McLaren F1

Ferrari 330 P4

Alfa Romeo GTA

Renault Alpine A110

Don't get me wrong I realize they had amber/yellow sections because the incandescent bulbs were white/clear bulbs and most modern cars don't need colored plastic to achieve the amber/yellow lighting(many use red) and many look better w/o said colored lens. Just a personal preference in this case.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    From another forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by notbenh View Post
    what else you have cooked up for this one?
    Good question...i didn't lay out a parts list with Misfire in the beginning as I did with Warbird so maybe it is about time I do that...here goes nothing.

Current & Proposed Parts List

Suspension/Chassis
    -Racing Beat 1.25" w/ blocks and brace(already installed)
    -Coilovers (Fox or Xida)
    -adjustable rear sway
    -Beatrush ppf brace
    -frame rails
    -1.75" roll bar w/door bars(BBFW?)
    -PACO Motorsports strong arms
    -14x9(225 tires), 15x9 or 15x10 wheels w/245s
    -14x7 Enkei RPF1's w/ Falken Azenis RT615K+ (current setup, will got to a high performance all seasons once another set of wheels/tires are secured)
    -freshen up brake system (possibly a big brake kit)
    -LRB aluminum undertray
    -fender and door seam welds
    -Singular Motorsports brake ducts
    -Flyin Miata rubber control arm bushings

Engine/Drivetrain
    -freshen up w/ typical maintenance(belts, seals, hoses)
    -Jackson Racing M45 supercharger(already installed)
    -Track Dog Racing crank overlay(already installed)
    -Track Dog Racing intercooler setup(already installed)
    -Track Dog Racing header blanket(already installed but will replace with a new one)
    -DDM Works air box (currently installed, will remake a connection to reconnect box to cowl for fresh air)
    -unknown header(currently installed)
    -Racing Beat twin tip muffler(currently installed, will more than likely get another custom ARTech exhaust that will be a center exit)
    -dual throttle body setup (at least till engine management is updated from current non adjustable power card)
    -Blackbird Fabworx dropped motor mounts
    -CSF aluminum radiator(has a older style CSF currently)
    - Flyin Miata shroud/fan setup
    -new engine management(yet to be determined)
    -Flow Force 640cc injectors
    -Track Dog Racing 62.5mm sc pulley(already have, will install once engine management is upgraded)
    -clutch (Flyin Miata or similar, possibly have a oem flywheel lightened)
    -Miataroadster tall sts
    -Project G oil cap (currently installed, may get a custom Revlimiter insert)
    -Project G dipstick handle(currently installed)
    -Garagestar flush radiator panel
    -oil catch can

Interior
    -Sparco Extreme II 310mm (currently installed)
    -Circuit Sports quick release (currently installed)
    -Works Bell hub (currently installed)
    -Retromodern hazard collar (currently installed)
    -Datatool LED shift light (currently installed)
    -Mitshubishi Eclipse vents (currently installed)
    -Garage5 gauge rings (already acquired)
    -Revlimiter anti-reflective glass for Garage5 gauge rings
    -custom Revlimiter F1 Stage 2 gauges
    -custom shiz aka daricerocket carbon fiber gauge overlay
    -Retromodern dimmer switch
    -custom Retromodern hvac
    -custom Revlimiter hvac panel
    -Revlimiter window switches
    -Zoom Engineering carbon fiber rear view mirror
    -Zoom Engineering push button start (if I can't obtain then Revlimiter S2000 push button mod)
    -fixed back seats (hopefully Marrad comes out with the LX1 replacement or similar)
    -Advanced Autosports spec miata dropped floor pan
    -LRB aluminum door panels
    -auxilary gauges (digital AEM vacuum/boost, wideband, oil pressure, water temp, voltage w/ custom Revlimiter F1 Stage 2 faces, 3 in radio gauge panel and 3 in a pillar gauge mount)
    -NRG Fatboy cf shift knob (currently installed, will get a custom Revlimiter insert)
    -new window guide bushings
    -swap a cleaner oem interior
    -aluminum gas pedal cover w/Flyin Miata gas pedal extension welded on

Exterior
    -Blackbird Fabworx Black Edition lexan spoiler
    -Blackbird Fabworx inspired vented front fenders
    -Singular Motorsports hood vents
    -rear diffuser
    -front splitter
    -cf front canards
    -cf rear canard
    -aluminum duct intakes in place of fog lights for brake ducting
    -rear bumper cut w/ opening for center exit exhaust
    -APR carbon fiber mirrors
    -Carbon Miata LED taillights
    -Carbon Miata cf headlight trim
    -custom Warbird wiper arm
    -Project G vented windows
    -new soft top
    -led exterior bulbs
    -hardtop or fastback
    -Zoom Engineering fuel lid

I think that about does it, it only took about 30 minutes to compile.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 03-05-2018 at 02:08 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

91BRG (11-19-2018),HarryB (03-05-2018)

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast