Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Cool idea, nice execution and definitely a great write-up! Thanks Chad!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-01-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    @smac: Thank you kindly!

@HarryB: Thank you, Harry! Again i can't take the credit as i just built on what TIghtshirts and Boosted Miata did.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    07-02-18: Tried my best to get some better pictures of the COB LED halo modifications....while they are obviously better pictures they still don't capture just how good they look in real life. I tried.

A video that still doesn't capture the lighting properly...

....not sure what is with the weird breathing noises, lol.

Finally a few other shots to offset all the rear end shots.

'97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (07-03-2018),HarryB (07-03-2018),JamieH (07-08-2018),MiataQuest (07-03-2018),MLambert19 (07-08-2018),oldgrayleather (07-08-2018),Paul B (07-03-2018),RustRat (07-03-2018),tsingson (07-03-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Warhammer's Avatar
    Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    Great work, Greasemonkey! Photos never seem to do justice to LED lighting. Colors are always a bit off and the brightness just doesn't really come through.

I've thought about doing a similar mod to my NB2 lights, but I think I'm going to save my money and purchase a pair of CarbonMiata "vintage" LED tail lights.
    - Rex

2003 LS Widebody, Pure White, Too many mods to list in a signature

My build thread

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-03-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Full-car pics look amazing; had forgot how cool Misfire looks. NB2 goals right there!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-03-2018),oldgrayleather (07-08-2018)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
    Great work, Greasemonkey! Photos never seem to do justice to LED lighting. Colors are always a bit off and the brightness just doesn't really come through.

I've thought about doing a similar mod to my NB2 lights, but I think I'm going to save my money and purchase a pair of CarbonMiata "vintage" LED tail lights.
    Thanks Rex! Ya taking pictures of lights is very difficult indeed. I actually plan on getting Carbon Miata's LED NB taillights for Misfire but this was a cheap mod that would hold me over in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Full-car pics look amazing; had forgot how cool Misfire looks. NB2 goals right there!
    Thanks Harry! You know the camera is very forgiving when it comes to cars, for whatever reason, but i appreciate the kind words none the less!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Let me know if/when you decide to change. I would gladly take these off of your hands.

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    07-07-18: About four days ago I filled up Misfire and noticed the gas gauge only went up to half a tank even though I filled up.....hummm. At first i thought maybe the sending unit went bad but what are the chances it goes bad right after filling up and as the gauge is going up? Possible but not very probable.

Then i noticed a raised area on the bottom of the gas gauge around the needle. (will get a picture later on this) I thought....maybe it was creating just enough resistance to keep the gauge from going past the half mark? I know these gauges can be slow but i waited several minutes and no change.

I decided to contact the greatest gauge maker ever Adam aka Revlimiter to see what he thought and if he might have a set of OEM gauges lying around. A email later and he said the scenario i described could certainly be the cause but he didn't have any OEM gauges that he could think of.

Adam said he did have a couple sets of "factory second" gauges he made that didn't live up to his standards and made me offer I couldn't refuse...Adam even give me a choice between a set of Apollo or Fighter gauges! While any of Adam's gauges are worth having...i chose the Fighter gauges!

Knowing you have a part coming is always exciting but having a Revlimiter part coming is that much more exciting(especially given the fantastic deal he made me) because when you get a package from Revlimiter....it is like no other part package you will receive. Are you confused? Let me try to relate the experience as best as possible.

First you get a unassuming package in a few short days from USPS....

....you already know it contains greatness because it is from Revlimiter and you have heard of his legendary "care package" he includes with such purchases so you are just as excited to see what he included as you are for the part(s) you already know you are getting.

You eagerly yet cautiously open the box and subsequent packaging being careful because it is clear Adam put alot of care and effort into wrapping everything up and then you see it....

...oh joy! Wait more lovely packaging to carefully remove....oh that Revlimiter really knows how to build up the excitement! You get into the "care package".....

...of course it lives up to all the hype you have heard! What car guy doesn't want another car to own! My precious! And that Hi Chew is so good!(especially the green apple!)

Finally you open up the packaging containing the gauges and lay them out to see them in all their glory!

You can hardly contain yourself! They look even better than the great pictures Revlimiter took, http://revlimiter.net/blog/2017/07/g...imiter-gauges/ , to represent just how incredible his Gen3 gauges are!

How can they look so good! So you look a bit closer....

...oh me oh my! You look even closer inspecting the vastly superior texture over the gauges Mazda put in this lovely roadster.....

.....then you see how the light hits them and really shows the vividness of the colors....

....and just when you thought you couldn't get anymore thrilled with your purchase you notice the incredible depth of the gauges!

After reading and seeing all the pictures and reviews of Revlimiter's gauges you realize the reality exceeds the hype! Congratulations you have just had your first Revlimiter experience! Unlike most artificial highs some people choose to indulge in, this one is just as good, time after time!

Hopefully i will get these beautiful gauges installed in the next few days, so excited! If you would like to see more of Adam's exceptional gauges and other Miata parts, check out his store: http://revlimiter.net/store/

P.S.- Full disclosure: These are "factory second" gauges as previously stated, which means they didn't make the cut to get sold thru Revlimiter's store, so some minor blemishes that normally wouldn't be there may be seen in the pictures and should not be expected in a set you order from Revlimiter.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 07-07-2018 at 11:21 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-08-2018),JamieH (07-08-2018),oldgrayleather (07-08-2018),tsingson (07-08-2018)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    My gauges were one of the top reasons to get the car back on the road.

Enjoy yours
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-08-2018),oldgrayleather (07-08-2018),tsingson (07-08-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    After reading and seeing all the pictures and reviews of Revlimiter's gauges you realize the reality exceeds the hype!
    Could not have said it better. Congrats on your Gen3 gauges Chad, they really are exquisite! Looking forward to seeing them installed.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-08-2018),tsingson (07-08-2018)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Let me know if/when you decide to change. I would gladly take these off of your hands.
    Will do Anthony! I am planning on getting the NB Carbon Miata taillights but not any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    My gauges were one of the top reasons to get the car back on the road.

Enjoy yours
    I certainly will, thanks Bryan! It makes me that much more excited thinking about the custom Revlimiter F1 Stage 2 gauges I will have Adam make for Misfire but until then these will keep me happy and have something reminiscent of Warbird.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Could not have said it better. Congrats on your Gen3 gauges Chad, they really are exquisite! Looking forward to seeing them installed.
    Thanks Pete! Me too!

Once I get said custom gauges from Revlimiter combined with the Garage5 gauge rings w/ Revlimiter antireflective glass, custom Revlimiter center indicator and the carbon fiber gauge overlay I have planned...I think the combination will out shine Warbird's cluster.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 07-08-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Oops

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-08-2018)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    07-09-18: Decided to take advantage of the decent weather (temperature more accurately) and install those gorgeous Revlimiter NB Fighter gauges i received a few days ago.

I'm not going to cover any of the removal/installation process because Adam already went to all the effort to take fantastic pics and write equally attention oriented instructions that can be found here for the NB(NA & NC also available on his site): http://revlimiter.net/mods/nb_gauge_install.php

Lets just get right to it. First the issue that brought all this about turned out to be an installation mistake on the part of who ever installed the gauges, I.L. Motorsports as it turns out, as seen here:

Ya there was a protective film on all the gauges that was never removed! So over time it started to bubble up and this caused the area around the gas gauge needle to bubble up and the gas gauge not to go to the full mark when I filled up Misfire the other day BUT it went up after the ambient temperature dropped and the bubble got smaller.

Here are a couple of comparison pics....

I.L. Motorsports gauges

Revlimiter NB Fighter gauges

I.L. Motorsports gauges at night w/ oem bulbs & condoms

Revlimiter NB Fighter gauges at night w/ oem bulbs & condoms

Not sure what is with the darker spot around the 6/7 on the tach but may be one of the blemishes that got me these at a really good price. I'm not worried about it, especially at the price i got them for and they are temporary until i get Adam to make a custom set of F1 Stage 2 gauges for Misfire.

I also went ahead and cut off the tails on the tachometer and speedometer needles, i just like the look. Here is a picture with the 310mm Sparco Extreme II steering wheel just to show the cut off is now pretty close to redline, so the altered zero position was welcomed and will probably be use a 1 or 2 o'clock zero position on the custom gauges i get later from Adam.

Finally a few "beauty shots" of these beautiful gauges to wrap up today's post.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (07-09-2018),HarryB (07-10-2018),MiataQuest (07-09-2018),RustRat (07-10-2018),tsingson (07-09-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Warhammer's Avatar
    Drives
    White 2003 LS
    Thanks Given
    I believe that dark spot at 6-7K RPM has to do with the OEM high beam indicator. I seem to remember seeing something about people using wire cutters to cut out the plastic socket for that indicator, which let more even lighting get to that area of the gauge face. That's a tiny detail, but it would drive me crazy and I'd HAVE TO fix it. Other wise, those are some great looking gauges! I'm partial to red back lighting and some LEDs would look amazing behind those.

As others have already gushed about Adam... Everything I've ever ordered from Revlimitier has been BEYOND top-notch s well. His attention to detail and quality is awesome. The packages are always exciting to open and the extras (stickers, candy, Hot Wheels) make the experience even more fun. My son always promptly claims the Hot Wheel as his own! On top of all that, Adam is just a genuinely great guy and a true enthusiast. Buying from Revlimiter always feels more like contacting a friend than doing business.
    Last edited by Warhammer; 07-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    - Rex

2003 LS Widebody, Pure White, Too many mods to list in a signature

My build thread

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warhammer For This Useful Post:

Bryan (07-10-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (07-10-2018),tsingson (07-10-2018)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
    I believe that dark spot at 6-7K RPM has to do with the OEM high beam indicator. I seem to remember seeing something about people using wire cutters to cut out the plastic socket for that indicator, which let more even lighting get to that area of the gauge face. That's a tiny detail, but it would drive me crazy and I'd HAVE TO fix it.
    Yup that is it. Thinking back that is what I was going to do after the lower portions and I got side tracked. Geez how did I not think of that! Thanks for the keen observation, Rex! I was going to check into it later this week but will probably take care of it this morning before I go to work.

And yes it is always a pleasure doing business with Adam, some times I feel like I'm not giving him enough money to justify the service and product received.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-10-2018),Warhammer (07-11-2018)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Yup that is it. Thinking back that is what I was going to do after the lower portions and I got side tracked. Geez how did I not think of that! Thanks for the keen observation, Rex! I was going to check into it later this week but will probably take care of it this morning before I go to work.
    I got pretty nasty cutting up my cluster for my gauges. Make sure you use something that gets into small spaces. I used some compound shears which cut great, but really made for some ugliness.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-10-2018)

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast